Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Lectured today in Central Park (mild rant)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 06:43 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yay for me, I was lectured in CP by another cyclist. I was riding behind this guy (not drafting mind you, off to the side) and a couple of people in a busy CP this afternoon did stupid things after he passed, putting me in some trouble. The details are not important, but when I caught up to the guy he told me I shouldn't do that, I should merely pass people without saying anything, thirty years riding in CP, seen enough guys die, blahblahblah. Dude, if you're on here, I appreciate the sentiment, but try not to lecture. You weren't the least bit interested in hearing anything I said -- in fact when I tried to say something other than "nice Lemond" you interrupted with more "30 years riding here" stuff. The fact is, both times someone was startled by your un-notified passing, jumping into my path. So maybe you should have said something?
Old 11-13-05, 06:46 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If I'm behind a bicyclist on a MUP and they don't start signalling their passing, I ring my bell or holler "on your left" before THEY get to the pedestrian.
Old 11-13-05, 08:31 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
If I'm behind a bicyclist on a MUP and they don't start signalling their passing, I ring my bell or holler "on your left" before THEY get to the pedestrian.
Heh, I'm with that too. I tend to pass on the bike and driving car (rare) if I don't like how someone ahead is behaving. Anyhow, CP is a bit chaotic, so it's not always so easy. I guess I should have tried to pull ahead earlier.