Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

HRM + everday watch= in one?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-02, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a Heart Rate monitor/watch that I can wear around all the time. Not some big clunky thing on my wrist, and not too much $$. I looked at the Timex ironman HRMs but they were massive and I felt like a freak wearing that around all day...Suunto is pretty expensive, but nice, and Polar look nice but the good ones are $$ and still rather large...

ANY HELP!!??

thanks,
mike-
Old 09-29-02, 07:48 AM

Bikes: LeMond Victoire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by mtbiac
I'm looking for a Heart Rate monitor/watch that I can wear around all the time. Not some big clunky thing on my wrist, and not too much $$. I looked at the Timex ironman HRMs but they were massive and I felt like a freak wearing that around all day...Suunto is pretty expensive, but nice, and Polar look nice but the good ones are $$ and still rather large...

ANY HELP!!??

thanks,
mike-

From my point of view you seem to be contradicting yourself. My friend has a Suunto and I think it looks HUGE!

Have you looked at the Polar A3? Pretty basic, but works well. Got mine for $65.00.
Old 09-29-02, 09:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, I meant to say the Suunto is huge, expensive, but they have tons of features which make them= nice. my bad.

I would like to stay away from Polar because I just found out you must send them in to the factory to get the battery replaced and I plan on using this as an everday watch, so i assume i would replace the battery often.

Any other companies make nice, everday HRM's that arent HUGE???

HELP!!

mike-
Old 09-29-02, 09:15 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would like to stay away from Polar because I just found out you must send them in to the factory to get the battery replaced and I plan on using this as an everday watch, so i assume i would replace the battery often.

HELP!!

mike-
Battery replacement = $10.00 Frequency of replacement = Every 2 - 3 years.
Old 09-29-02, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really? My friend told me it cost him 50-60 bucks total when he sent his in, solely for battery replacement (he has the $300 model)

Will the battery last 2-3yrs even if I use this thing as an everyday watch and use the HRM ALOT?
Old 09-29-02, 09:44 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Called the factory before I bought mine. I shared your cost concerns! (They quoted me $10.00). This is my second Polar, I lost the first and only replaced the battery once in 5 years.
Old 09-29-02, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, sounds good. My only concern is if the Polars are BIG? IE: like the Suunto or timex ironman? I am looking at the s-150, 210, 410, m71ti, etc.

Are these things like a normal wristwatch, maybe a wee bit bigger? or are they massive and noticeably stand out? (want to use as an everyday, take to school, work, watch....)

Thanks much for your help

mike-
Old 09-29-02, 11:06 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The monitors you mentioned are no where near the size of the Suunto, and are in my opinion only slightly larger (and I emphasize only slightly) than the A3 that I have. I'd say you should go to your LBS or running store and compare them side by side. As for the Timex I never considered, nor looked at it and can't make that call.

You have also mentioned that cost is a concern. The "S" Series you are considering are certianly feature packed, but at a much higher cost! (For me the extra features could not justify the higher price).

Last edited by Cipher; 09-29-02 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-29-02, 11:20 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are a couple of sights you may want to try:

https://www.roadbikereview.com/Heart,...S_1635crx.aspx

https://www.outdoorreview.com/pscOutd...S_3015crx.aspx

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-02, 02:14 AM
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will the battery last 2-3yrs even if I use this thing as an everyday watch and use the HRM ALOT?
well, i don't use my Polar as an everyday watch, but i use it 3+ times/week for rides and runs (average about 24hrs/week heartrate measure) for over 3 years now...

the time is displayed all the time, so unless you're pushing buttons all day it shouldn't reduce battery life much more...
Old 10-02-02, 08:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Cipher
Called the factory before I bought mine. I shared your cost concerns! (They quoted me $10.00). This is my second Polar, I lost the first and only replaced the battery once in 5 years.
That was my biggest concern...I wanted the S-210, but I was afraid that battery replacement cost lots of $$$...but if it's only $10, I think it's a fair deal.

BTW, where did you get your Polar from? Did you get a good deal?
Old 10-02-02, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, sounds good. My only concern is if the Polars are BIG? IE: like the Suunto or timex ironman? I am looking at the s-150, 210, 410, m71ti, etc.

Are these things like a normal wristwatch, maybe a wee bit bigger? or are they massive and noticeably stand out? (want to use as an everyday, take to school, work, watch....)
Size is also a big concern for me, as I have a really small wrist. I really want to see the HRM in person before making a purchase....but it seems like no one around here has them in stock (not even the many LBSs around)!