Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where to buy spokes & Nipples

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 02:47 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

I would like to try my hand at wheel building. Where can I find a good selection of spokes and wheel building supplies in general.

Tim
Old 11-16-05, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I just picked some up at my LBS. They had a variety of spoke types and lengths, and the database to calculate what length spokes I needed, given the hub and rim I was building with. They also have spoke prep. I already have a trueing stand, but most LBS places could order it for you, or you could mail order one.
Old 11-16-05, 03:34 PM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes buy spokes at https://www.icyclesusa.com/

For my most recent build, I ordered the spokes, rim and hub at the same time from Harris Cyclery: www.harriscyclery.com

Your LBS is of course a good recommendation, too.
Old 11-16-05, 03:59 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cambria is also a very good spoke source.

https://www.cambriabike.com/
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 11-16-05, 05:19 PM
mmm...vegan pancakes

Bikes: steamroller w/ rattle can paint job. campy record pista cranks, thomson stem y post, phil black track/track hubs, velocity rims (black), black spokes and nipples to wrap it up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to your ****ing bike shops people. they have or can order the spokes you need, based on rim and hub used. you're all going to be so screwed when your LBS' go out of business because nobody uses them for anything other than stealing their opinions and knowledge and these huge online mega stores aren't going to give you the info you need because you cannot actually talk to them. im so sick of you people. why can't you help out your community a bit and just not be *******s.
Old 11-16-05, 05:37 PM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crusty_pedals
go to your ****ing bike shops people. they have or can order the spokes you need, based on rim and hub used. you're all going to be so screwed when your LBS' go out of business because nobody uses them for anything other than stealing their opinions and knowledge and these huge online mega stores aren't going to give you the info you need because you cannot actually talk to them. im so sick of you people. why can't you help out your community a bit and just not be *******s.
My LBS was flooded by Hurricane Katrina and has been closed ever since.
Old 11-16-05, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That's why I go to my LBS for most things. But I don't always need their knowledge. But, for comparison, there's a Performance outlet in my town, and they are always understaffed and the workers don't know all that much.
Also, some online retailers (e.g., Harris, Rivendell, Lickton's) are run out of real bike shops by people who will talk to and help you. Performance and Nashbar and Supergo (all owned by the same company, btw) don't fall into this category. But I still buy some stuff from them, because lots of times I don't need opinions or help with what to buy, and I want a really large selection or strange parts.
Old 11-16-05, 06:21 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They're not a ****ing charity. I won't pay a 20-50% premium to keep them in business unless they're adding some value. Sometimes they do, mostly they don't. They don't ride or sell the bikes I ride anyway and they don't stock a lot of the parts that I need. As far as the "info I need" is concerned, I can find that myself and don't need to depend on the sometimes questionable advice of a bike shop employee. If the LBS' business model isn't working any more, it's time to find a new business model. Although considering that bicycle sales last season were the best they've been since the 70's bike boom, it's probably not in too bad of a condition.
Old 11-16-05, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! time to unwedge those undies!

Living in Los Angeles, there seems to be bike shops every ten miles. Here's my experience in trying to support them.

Bike shop 3 miles away -- When asked why his Ultegra was more expensive than DuraAce at the other local bike shop, he informed me that there are different levels of Shimano and the other stores are selling the "Lowend" version of DuraAce. STRIKE 1

Bike Shop 10 Miles Away -- Prepaid for a Chris King Headset in my desired color. When it arrived, it took three salesman to find it and none seemed to want to give me my headset. Finally, the manager came out and said I didn't pay enough. He wanted $10 more dollars before I could take it home! (Last $10 I ever spent in there!) STRIKE 2

Bike Shop 12 miles away -- While shopping for other items, I asked a bike shop mechanic if I could look at the DuraAce Anniversary Gruppo. I wanted to take a closer look at the Shimano Watch. He told me I shouldn"t waste my time with that "crap" and should buy Campagnolo. STRIKE 3

Online retailers provide convenience, shopping 24 hours a day/365 days a year, and comparative pricing between several competing vendors in a matter of seconds. Most will match prices of their competitors. And I can find hard to find items easily.

The Walmart brick and mortar will always be with us. But the digital economy has arrived.

Resistance is futile.

Old 11-16-05, 07:51 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
They don't ride or sell the bikes I ride anyway and they don't stock a lot of the parts that I need. .

What kind of bike do you ride? Between the guys at our shop we have: five road bikes, four fixed gears, one track bike, three hardtail mountian bikes, two rigid mountian bikes, two full suspension bikes, four singlespeed mountian bikes, one downhill/freeride bike, one mod trials bike, one stock trials bike, two cyclocross bikes, and a unicycle. If you include the owner, tack on a bunch of road bikes, two or three tandems, and more than thirty vintage bikes including two highwheelers.

You must ride a tadpole.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 11-16-05, 08:02 PM
Steel and Leather

Bikes: Ritchey Ascent, Palo Alto Racing, Gary Fisher 229, Surly 1x1, Bianchi Pista, Windsor Tourist, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about my local LBS...

https://www.bikeman.com/

https://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPSPK
Old 11-16-05, 08:07 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegy200
And I can find hard to find items easily.

Well I checked Performance and Nashbar and they both had a big lack of Sturmey Archer parts, no Campy G springs, Uh-oh, no cottered crank pins or cranks, no stock of cartridge bearings. Wow, you are so right. They have a huge inventory of hard to find parts, not. We have all that stuff in stock.

Old 11-16-05, 09:19 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
What kind of bike do you ride? Between the guys at our shop we have: five road bikes, four fixed gears, one track bike, three hardtail mountian bikes, two rigid mountian bikes, two full suspension bikes, four singlespeed mountian bikes, one downhill/freeride bike, one mod trials bike, one stock trials bike, two cyclocross bikes, and a unicycle. If you include the owner, tack on a bunch of road bikes, two or three tandems, and more than thirty vintage bikes including two highwheelers.

You must ride a tadpole.
Yours is not one of my LBSs.
Old 11-16-05, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I buy 90% of my bicycle needs inclucing all wheel parts from my favorite LBS. He offers 10% discount to regular customers and club members. He will usually match online store prices including shipping. If asked, his mechanic will dip all spoke threads in Spoke Prep at no cost. He offers many parts and services not available on line. He maintains a large supply of old out-of-production parts and is often willing to trade old used serviceable parts.

Al
Old 11-16-05, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by timcupery
<snip>...Also, some online retailers (e.g., Harris, Rivendell, Lickton's) are run out of real bike shops...<snip>
I think you have a good point, but a weakness of Rivendell (whom I love and where I do buy stuff) is that they are *not* a real bike shop. I bought a rim from them and they did not stock spokes except in the sizes they used for their standard wheel builds, and could not even calculate the right size spoke for my high-flange hub.

The successfull shop of the future will have an online presence, a consistent supply of the some niche stuff, and the complete resources of a real bike shop. Harris and Peter White do exactly that.
Old 11-16-05, 10:18 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"and could not even calculate the right size spoke for my high-flange hub"

Seriously? They could have at least faked it with the Dt site and a few measurements from you.

Old 11-17-05, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
"and could not even calculate the right size spoke for my high-flange hub"

Seriously? They could have at least faked it with the Dt site and a few measurements from you.
Or with Damon Rinard's "spocalc.xls" spreadsheet. Available via fine search engines everywhere.
Old 11-17-05, 12:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Crusty Pedals, you ever buy a book from Amazon.com or buy some music online?

Just curious.
Old 11-17-05, 03:09 AM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tim,
I have no negativity to offer, pro or con, regarding local bike shops but here is where I get wheelbuilding supplies:

Wheelbuilder

Bike Tools Etc

Here is an online spoke length calculator:

Spoke Calcualtor

If you email the techs at Bike Tools Etc., they will calculate your spoke length for you. You will have to tell them what hubs and rims you are using.

Dogbait
Old 11-17-05, 09:02 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
Tim,
I have no negativity to offer, pro or con, regarding local bike shops but here is where I get wheelbuilding supplies:

Wheelbuilder

Bike Tools Etc

Here is an online spoke length calculator:

Spoke Calcualtor

If you email the techs at Bike Tools Etc., they will calculate your spoke length for you. You will have to tell them what hubs and rims you are using.

Dogbait
Thanks for the info. I was planning on building up a set of old Chorus hubs with a really clean set of Mavic CXP30 rims.

Tim
Old 11-17-05, 09:08 AM
West side of paradise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I would like to try my hand at wheel building. Where can I find a good selection of spokes and wheel building supplies in general.

Tim
www.oddsandendos.com

A great selection and excellent customer service. I just built a pair of wheels for my LHT. My emails were answered promptly, even though they were riding out a hurricane at the time. Check them out.