Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

the tires i like (what are yours?)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 08:43 PM
Iguana Subsystem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i figure it's been a while since we had a good ol' 'i like these tires. oh yeah? well you're a moron, i like THESE tires' thread, so i'm starting another one.

there's one rule: they have to cost less than $25/tire.

i've got 2, and one i'd like feedback on, if anyone's used it, and oddly enough, they're all vredesteins.

(other factors: i live in san francisco, which has lots of REALLY bad streets, but no snow/ice, weigh 130 lbs., and ride mostly without a handbrake, but don't skid or skip that much)

1. my hands-down, flat-out favorite tire is the vredestein volante se folding tire from nashbar. they're not light, but they look good (yes, that matters a bit to me), are tough as hell, don't mind if you over-inflate them a bit, and take the pounding that san francisco streets dish out. and take it and take it.
$19.95
you can get them here https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

2. vredestein fortezza se. almost 80 grams lighter than the volantes, and not as tough, but with a much livelier feel, plus you can inflate them to 170 psi if you want to test how firmly your fillings are seated.
performance has them in blue for $21.98 here https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5420, and supergo has them in red for $22.98 here https://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...2&srccode=1749

the tire i'm looking for feedback on is one that performance calls the "Vredestein Fortezza Road Tire" and has absolutely no info on. you can see it here https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=5420#
anybody know anything?
Old 11-16-05, 08:48 PM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i skidded through the fortezzas extremely quickly. they were super nice, but not for me. i don't even skid very much... back pedaling and skipping.
Old 11-16-05, 09:17 PM
Vehicular

Bikes: DeBernardi track, Bianchi homemade fixed, '93 Trek 2300 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK boring answer--Specialized Armadillos. They make it right at your price cutoff with my Transportation Alternatives discount. The only tires I've tried that last 3+ months on my commuter bike. Tried vredestien, michelin, conti, bontrager, etc. those were all more like six weeks (around 900miles/month, rarely skid).

they're like jeans... there are lighter options but...

I wonder when different people consider themselves ready for new tires. I go until I get several flats in a row or more than say 3 in 10 days... although I'm not scientific about it, more like I get a bad feeling looking at them & I keep being late to work.
Old 11-16-05, 09:20 PM
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair of 700x40 Continental Avenues for five bucks apiece at the good freewheel.

I really should've picked up more than one pair, but my 700x60 big apples are on the way..
Old 11-16-05, 09:37 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700 x 60??? What frame do you ride that'll take a tire that wide?
Old 11-16-05, 09:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jim-bob.... did you fixed a motorbike?
Old 11-16-05, 09:49 PM
seeking simple

Bikes: Yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the "Bulletproof Tyres" thread:

Michelin TransWorld City (reflective sidewall, too, works great!)
Old 11-16-05, 10:11 PM
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
700 x 60??? What frame do you ride that'll take a tire that wide?
Karate Monkey.
Old 11-16-05, 10:12 PM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michelin Megalium
Old 11-16-05, 10:20 PM
kill both bass players

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vittoria rubinos have lasted me a while and look decent
Old 11-16-05, 10:28 PM
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental Sport 1000 have lasted over a year. A great, but expensive, tire.
For an everyday tire that wont break the bank, I like Bontrager Select K.
Vittoria Rubinos, too, especially because they come in red.
Old 11-16-05, 11:03 PM
ready for the freakout

Bikes: Spicer track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maxxis detonators. i got a lightly used secondhand pair and they've lasted almost a year.
Old 11-16-05, 11:14 PM

Bikes: Trek road bike, schwinn fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GAtorskins, Zaffiro's, Rubino's ,Diamante's. All folding and all were cheap 'cause I worked at a bike shop. I've got like ten sets of 'em just collecting dust, I can only ride two bikes at a time.....
Old 11-16-05, 11:32 PM
likes avocadoes

Bikes: heh, like that info would fit here...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i love me some panaracer rubber
Old 11-17-05, 12:02 AM
hang up your boots

Bikes: 84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Vittoria Rubinos, they are affordable, durable, and i feel safe with them in the rain and around hairy turns in high speeds. If you want me to give you my personal experience with other tires, just send me a a set and ill be glad to test them for you and report back once i have fully broken them down.
Old 11-17-05, 12:07 AM
traffic

Bikes: fix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding some vittoria rubinos for about a month and a half now and i've really enjoyed them...until they started falling apart. I was skipping and skidding a lot so the rear is completely shot of course and the front tire has been collecting a lot of little cracks and tears in it. I've never seen a tire do that before. The sidewalls have even started cracking.
Old 11-17-05, 12:33 AM

Bikes: Panasonic track 4000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been riding rubinos for a rediculously long time, and there holding up extremley well the rear is just starting to develop bald spots, by a long time a mean like 3 and a half months, i skid and skip alot I weigh 110 pounds and i ride about 30 miles a day doing food delivery in NYC.
Old 11-17-05, 03:20 AM
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend has been riding Bontrager RaceLite Hardcases. They're the poor man/women's armadillos here. Used by a lot of messengers. Hold up well to the abuse of London Streets and apparently corner just as badly in the wet as the armadillos.
Old 11-17-05, 05:38 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I can't remember the last tire that I rode that cost less than $25 apeice...
Old 11-17-05, 06:28 AM
i don't stop

Bikes: soma rush, giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really like the michelin pro race (now pro race 2) and the michelin carbon. i just wish the carbon was available in all black or grey.
Old 11-17-05, 06:46 AM
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i rock a seven dollar nashbar kevlar-belted dealie on my front tire, and that has done me well. kind of shredded one on my rear and i got a $23ish Schwalbe Blizzard tire on there that's doing good things for me. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-17-05, 08:52 AM
Aluminum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orange
I wonder when different people consider themselves ready for new tires. I go until I get several flats in a row or more than say 3 in 10 days... although I'm not scientific about it, more like I get a bad feeling looking at them & I keep being late to work.
Several flats with the Armadillos? I go until they start looking like this, but I haven't flatted one yet.
Old 11-17-05, 08:58 AM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HyperRevue - the Conti Sport1000 should be $15 or less depending on where you get it. In my experience, it's a pretty crap tire - Conti's bottom of the line. I blew out the sidewalls twice, once on a sharp edge of a brick that was tire level and another time when my plastic tire level slipped and cut it. Ugh.

Anyhow - I'm all about the Fortezza's and Vredestein. I do however, mix and match. I have a Gatorskin on the rear for flat protection and a Fortezza up front for road feel since that's where you "feel" the tire, through your arms and such.

That Road one that Performance is offering is interesting. I've typically bought the SE ones that Performance/Supergo carry exclusively but this time I bought a regular Fortezza ($40 - but got it on sale) because I wanted an all black tire.

It feels no different than the SE, even though it's more expensive and apparently has more "features".

Seeing that Fortezza Road for that price and in black, I'd pick some up in a jiffy. In fact, I will.

On another note - I'm also running a Hutchison Carbon Comp on the other bike in front and I wouldn't do that again. It's not bad but it only goes to 125 and it feels too squishy - like how Michelin's sometime feel.
Old 11-17-05, 09:14 AM
In-fighting

Bikes: Baby blue Bareknuckle, crap Panasonic conversion, 84? Benotto Triathlon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin79
Several flats with the Armadillos? I go until they start looking like this, but I haven't flatted one yet.
Yeah, but Armadillos do pick up small bits of metal. I've had two flats in the past two months with my new commute past a metal dump. Though, that direction is also broken-glass-land, and I've never gotten a flat that way. Anyway, can any tires resist pointy bits of metal?

When I lived in DC I got a Fortezza on sale from Nashbar. The label looks different than the one on Performance, so I don't know if this helps you, dolface. But I stupidly put it on the back rather than the front. It was *zippy*, but then it got sliced going over one of those hydrolic, metal, traffic barrier things that lay flat at the base of Capital Hill--never happened with any other tire--and then, about 2 weeks later, the sidewall mysteriously blew out from some random pavement thing. I liked the feel, but they weren't reliable. Maybe if I put it on the front wheel I'd still be on it?
Old 11-17-05, 09:47 AM
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rock some Panaracers T servs on my fixed gear in 25c. I have some Transworld Citys on my touring bike in 32 those are nice too. I also have had good luck with the Avenir/Cycle Pro house tires which are nice and cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.