Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

So where did you tour last????

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering is everybody cycling at the moment or what**********? Posters hardly get any responses lately and new tour posts have been languishing on www.cyclingtheworld.org sure you must have been somewhere interesting you can share right! Why not let more bikers know about it? Link you travelogues and make this a useful site for tourers.

Good riding
Old 11-22-05, 01:04 AM
Really like your peaches

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came back from a short ride around Victoria Australia (Great Ocean Road, Grampians). Mt. William just south of Hall's Gap is a most pleasant climb but I didn't enjoy the descent much (it is on the outside lane, perilously overlooking the valley). I thought I had packed light; I learned I could pack lighter.

Next little ride is Bangkok to ****et the week before Christmas. It will be on a new bicycle, with not much time to shake out the kinks.

So there!
Old 11-22-05, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This summer I did a tour of Ontario's cottage country. The tour started and ended at my front door. Rode up to Beaverton, where I picked up my girlfriend, and we continued north from there. Gravenhurst, Bracebrige, Huntsville, Arrowhead Provincial Park, Rosseay, Bala, etc. My travelogue is at https://muskoka.crazyguyonabike.com.
Old 11-22-05, 10:15 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My last 'tour' was a nice 430 mile 5 day kick over the North Cascades Highway in Washington state, from Seattle via Cascade Pass, Cashmere, Lake Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Stevens Pass and back to Seattle.

I'm gearing back up to do some winter season touring on the Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands. I've got some favorite rides over in the Olympics I like to do when the Northwest has a stretch of fair weather days in the forecast. With an early morning start, you can still get in 6-7 hours of riding at my latitude without pushing the dusk envelope.
Old 11-22-05, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tharold
I came back from a short ride around Victoria Australia (Great Ocean Road, Grampians). ....
Hey, I'm about to do something really similar! I'm going to ride from Melbourne to Mt. Arapiles... any idea how many days I should expect to take?

Thanks!

My last tour: 3 weeks in July/August this year, it was supposed to be all the paved continental divide passes in Colorado. There are 14 - I did 11 before I got hit by a car. 22 passes, 3 weeks, 1200+ miles, 75,000+ feet of climbing. Great riding in Colorado. Highlights: Wolf Creek Pass, Independance Pass, Loveland Pass, pasteries in Frisco, Durango blues festival on my rest day, free camping by the river on North Pass, meeting other riders on Cottonwood Pass, climbing out of blue mesa reservoir towards Montrose, sunrise at the river outside of Silverton, staying with my boyfriend's uncle who I never met before in Carbondale, sharing 2 days on the road with my friend Michelle. Lowlights: my first helicopter ride, riding into Durango in bad traffic and road construction, construction on Berthoud Pass, getting stalked by a psycho in a truck outside of Leadville, 100degree heat and 30mph headwinds going from Montrose to Blue Mesa reservoir, freezing rain on the descent into Frisco from Vail.
Old 11-22-05, 06:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My last tour was a short four day tour to introduce my brother to the enjoyment of touring. We had four seasons in four days of weather. One day windy, one day hot, One day of extreme headwinds and very hot and the last day it rained continuously. We rode from Streaky bay South Australia to south of Elliston South Australia following the dirt roads and the coast as much as possible. We completed three hundred Kilometres in four days which was not too bad as he only started riding in January.He still had a ball and seems as hooked on touring as I am. So I should have much trouble getting a ride partner for tours any more.
Old 11-22-05, 06:19 PM
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Earlier this year I did some cycling in India.
Old 11-22-05, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In June and August, my wife and I toured in Prince Edward Island and Alberta.

pei2005tour.crazyguyonabike.com
alberta2005tour.crazyguyonabike.com
Old 11-22-05, 07:52 PM
Really like your peaches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Hey, I'm about to do something really similar! I'm going to ride from Melbourne to Mt. Arapiles... any idea how many days I should expect to take?
I rode about 100km/day on an old road bike. Roads are in fine condition. I would pay attention to the wind, which is usually from the West. Open plains are the worst... on one stretch I was in my lowest gear pedalling downhill in the rain. This was from Castlemaine to Maryborough. Where the roads are lined with trees the wind isn't a problem. I would also get a train/bus schedule. Towns which look sizeable (to me) on the map are smaller on the ground, and buses don't go there. I lost a rest day due to this, but it turned out to be a great riding day anyway.

But don't worry about it. You're certain to enjoy yourself regardless
Old 11-24-05, 12:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my longest tour ever, 21 days in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. It was really nice over there. I finished up my ride about three weeks ago, and the numbness in my hands from the roads in Cambodia is almost completely gone, and best it no longer wakes me up at night. www.mtl2.crazyguyonabike.com
Old 11-24-05, 02:15 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I spent a little over 3 weeks "touring" at the end of August and beginning of September ... I put "touring" in quotes because it involved a lot of travelling, and quite a bit of cycling, but not always technically "cycletouring".

We started the trip by spending 5 days cycling from Red Deer to the Icefield Parkway, and then down to Banff. That was the true cycletouring part.

Then we drove and flew and drove to Iowa where we did the UMCA 24-hour Time Trial on the September long weekend.

Then we drove across the US to Colorado, stopping in a few places to ride (Missouri, Nebraska, and Wyoming).

Then we rode the Last Chance 1200K Randonnee starting in a town just outside Boulder, CO (Louisville) and going into Kansas and back. It was a challenging ride, but we finished it in 89 hours and 25 minutes, including all breaks, which was within the 90 hour time limit (I just received my certificate and medal for that event )

From there we drove to Los Angeles, stopping at Zion National Park to do a little hiking. Then Rowan flew back to Australia and I flew home to Alberta.

That'll be it for me until sometime next spring!