Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My first day commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My first day commuting

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 06:00 AM
TriBob

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I rode into work today. First time in three years. I have to drive half way; but, I miss the major traffic. I get to park in Valley Forge Natioanl Park (you know, where Gen. George Washington spent the winter in that tiff with the blokes accross the pond ) and ride 9.5 miles next to the river.

What a great way to start the day.

I have to get my routine down. I almost forgot my undies

Old 04-20-01, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, TriBob!

Congratulations! I just started bike commuting on Monday, myself.

I grew up in Red Bank, NJ (beach), and in Flemington, NJ, a few miles from the Delaware. I always loved the waterfront area in Philadelphia. I never got to bike there, even as an adult, but it must be gorgeous in the morning.

Best of luck!

Jonathan
Old 04-20-01, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is nothing wrong with commuting only part way if it avails bicycle commuting to you. FANTASTIC!

It still gives you daily bicycling enjoyment and still offers all the personal, economic, and environmental advantages as full-distance bicycle commuting.

Keep it up!
Old 04-20-01, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great route along the river!
Old 04-22-01, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to commute to grad school in Southern California. My favorite part was a path along the "paved" San Gabriel river. On dry days, I would ride up and down the steep banks on the corners of my tires at 25mph. That made for some really wierd tire wear.
Old 04-23-01, 10:40 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Kansas City, Missouri, not far from where jramsey (post above) lives. When I was commuting, my route passed by or over the Kansas and Missouri Rivers, and my workplace was just a half mile or so from one of the Lewis & Clark expedition campsites. Pretty nice views for my riding, too!

Best wishes, Tribob and jramsey, for your commuting--don't be too easily discouraged by all the little annoyances that are bound to pop up. I accumulated 13,000 miles commuting, and after a long layoff complicated by major surgery, I'm just now getting back into cycling. So send me some positive thoughts as you turn those chainwheels! :-)