Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Educate Me

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Educate Me

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 09:28 PM
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Educate Me

Okay what is the relationship between Surly, Gunnar, and Waterford Precision Bikes? A number of you keep hyping the Surly Long Haul Trucker and in doing a internet on Surly the name Waterford came up -but with know additional informationion. If there is a connection what is it? Are Surly's US made etc?
Old 11-27-05, 10:38 PM
Steel and Leather

Bikes: Ritchey Ascent, Palo Alto Racing, Gary Fisher 229, Surly 1x1, Bianchi Pista, Windsor Tourist, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert and probably wrong but...

My Surly LHT frame was made in China (TIG welded). Surly bikes are designed in MN.

Gunnar and Waterford share the same address in Waterford, WI. I think the bikes are made there. Gunnar frames are TIG welded and the Waterford frame tubes are connected with lugs so they are prettier and more expensive.
Old 11-27-05, 10:56 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
simple: Good-Surly Better-Gunnar Best-Waterford

All three are great bikes. I ride a Surly LHT and it is a great bike for the money. If I had a bit more to spend, I would have bought a Gunnar Crosshairs. If I had a lot more to spend, a Waterford would be parked in my garage.
Old 11-28-05, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Atlantis, Bleriot, Waterford,Steamroller, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all Waterfords are lugged. You can buy a TIG welded Waterford if you wish. Also, all Waterfords are custom-built, made-to-measure bikes. There are standard, stock sizes for all Waterford models, but there is no price break for buyng a stock dimension frame over one that is made-to-measure
Old 11-28-05, 02:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Surlys are made in Taiwan, NOT china. There IS a difference.
Old 11-28-05, 03:21 PM
Steel and Leather

Bikes: Ritchey Ascent, Palo Alto Racing, Gary Fisher 229, Surly 1x1, Bianchi Pista, Windsor Tourist, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Told you I was probably wrong...

(Wikipedia)
"The name "Taiwan" is often used synonymously with the modern Republic of China, while the term "China" usually refers to the People's Republic of China (PRC) or mainland China."

The box for my LHT may very well have said Republic of China -- it did say China on it. I suspect that Taiwan's industrial edge may be short lived, however...
Old 11-28-05, 06:13 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
For the time being, anyway...
Old 11-30-05, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Univega Viva Sport (circa 1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about Surly, but Gunnar is made by Waterford. The Gunnar frame is TIG welded, and the Waterford's more expensive frame is lugged. Waterford also makes Heron, another fine steel bike. I bought a Gunnar Sport two years ago with 105 throughout and love it. IMHO, the only drawback to Gunnar is the paint. But Waterford has an endless list of paint possibilities and for an extra $125 (when I bought it) you could order a Gunnar with any of the Waterford paint selections. I did so and am glad for it.

Also, when I called Waterford to ask questions, Richard Schwinn himself answered the phone and talked to me. Great customer service!

Here's the Gunnar web site.

Here's the Waterford web site.
Old 11-30-05, 07:00 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly you hear a lot about because for a relatively good price you can get a honest to god touring frame that you can "pimp up" youself. Looking at the bikes of cycle tourists who has been touring for awhile,you will see every imaginable marriage of componets and gadgets a good example is this Sheldon Brown creation.
Touring is not just about about freedom of the road it is about freedom to be creative (odd).

Rick ( touring oddball)
Old 11-30-05, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
Surly you hear a lot about because for a relatively good price you can get a honest to god touring frame that you can "pimp up" youself. Looking at the bikes of cycle tourists who has been touring for awhile,you will see every imaginable marriage of componets and gadgets a good example is this Sheldon Brown creation.

Rick ( touring oddball)

Is that a single speed????
Old 11-30-05, 08:23 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DB here is a link to Sheldon's page about the bike