Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Shuper Shport Shifts Shmoothy!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 05:00 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

(Mods: I don't know where to put this - I looked for the "Tips & Tricks Sticky" but it's not here - perhaps it's in another place - feel free to move this if you wish…)

I was reading the sydney thread, and one of his answers to an inquiry about imprecise/sluggish shifting, was to replace the shifter cables - well, the ones on my Schwinn were at least 20 years old, and as they looked to be still in good condition, I'd never thought about changing them. Anyway, today I replaced them, and my LBS advised to put some teflon tubing in the tubes where the cables run around the BB. So - thank you sydney and thank you LBS! The shifting on the Schwinn is now much smoother

- Wil
Old 11-28-05, 05:16 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Good cables make a huge difference in shifting and braking both. I refuse to ride my friend's Centurion due to the walmart cable/housing setup he has going that has something obviously wrong.

I like your housing setup under the bottom braket there. I ran a small piece of housing under my BB shell on my old schwinn traveler when I went to a newer style Front Derailleur that didn't have the built in cable stop. Some people advised me to just run the bare cable under the housing and it would be fine, but if memory serves me again, I do believe it was sydney as well as a couple others who backed up my plan to use a stretch of housing instead.
Old 11-28-05, 08:37 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Yep. sydney lives on.....
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.