Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Drop Bars

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best Drop Bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Best Drop Bars

I know, this has been addressed a billion times, but what are the best drop bars? What makes a drop bar great? Ergo/non-Ergo? Backsweeps on the tops (like Nitto Noodles)? Flat ramps (like Noodles?)? Flares (like Salsa Bell-Laps)? I had an interesting discussion with a friend of mine this weekend. He's an elderly gentleman who used to be big into touring and still has his old Peugeot well-maintained, although he really can't ride it anymore, and has been big into target pistols for many years. Turns out both hobbies put similar strains on wrists and arms. He feels that a flare on a drop bar puts your wrist at just the right angle to distribute force properly when riding on the hoods or drops, and his Peugeot shows it with a nicely sculpted old drop bar with some flare to it, somewhat like a Nitto Randonneur, but without the "humps". Eh, after all this rambling, I'm trying to decide between Nitto Noodles, Ritchey Biomax, or Salsa Bell-Laps and have no idea which to get. I'm going to ride the bike 80% roads 20% trails.
Old 11-29-05, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the salsa short and shallows that I've been using for a couple of years. I went halfway across the country with the bell-laps and hated them. The flare put my wrists at an angle that was uncomfortable while in the drops. Maybe it was just me, though. I would like to try some bars with a more subtle flare sometime, though, like the noodls.
Old 11-29-05, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Grab each bar. If it's for you, you will know immediately.
I muckled onto a Biomax, turned to the shop owner and said 'Can you get me one?'
Old 11-29-05, 07:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like the Nitto "Noodle" bars. The flat tops, smooth bends (without "ergo" foolishness), and sensible widths make for my comfort. Of course, you aren't me, so your money - your choice.