Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sign the Petition re: stop cell phone use in cars!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sign the Petition re: stop cell phone use in cars!

Old 12-03-05, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I put one together, and I plan to submit it to US Congress and the Conference of Mayors. Please sign it, and distribute it to any usergroups, forums, etc.

https://www.petitiononline.com/7474355/

Thanks!

Koffee Brown

Old 12-03-05, 07:32 PM
Tail End Charlie

Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Koffee,

The "Click Here to Sign Petition" button isn't working, returns a "Page cannot be found" message.

-Randy
Old 12-03-05, 08:48 PM

Try this link and let me know if it works.

Koffee

Old 12-03-05, 08:59 PM
IndyFab girl

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Giro track, Brompton M3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worked for me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-05, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown

Try this link and let me know if it works.

Koffee
It worked for me.
Old 12-03-05, 09:02 PM

So link #1 is a no go and link #2 works? Or do they both work?

Koffee

Old 12-03-05, 09:04 PM

I see Kimberlee, Jim's daughter, signed the petition. That will really go a long way, I think.

Koffee

Old 12-03-05, 11:28 PM
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done.
Old 12-04-05, 12:05 AM
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Done.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 12-04-05, 12:11 AM

Bikes: homemade cyclocross, 2005 KHS Flite 100 frame + assorted parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this just meant for Americans?
Old 12-04-05, 12:40 AM
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just signed and passed it on to some other forums and emailed it around.
Old 12-04-05, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by ApolloCVermouth
Is this just meant for Americans?
Unfortunately... yes.

I thought about this for a long time, and in the end, I chose not to add in folks from other countries. It's not that I don't love you guys, but more because I wanted this to be a petition of voting constituents, and I thought it may be better to leave it to US citizens. I thank our foreign friends for wanting to participate, but right now, it may be a better idea to leave it just for US citizens.

Koffee

Old 12-04-05, 08:09 AM
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Signed.

Whether this will accomplish our goal or not, it's a step in the right direction, and it's little enough to do for the memory of a good man.

Please sign.
Old 12-04-05, 08:17 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- this just makes sense... many local governments already ban cell phone use while driving (and you can get a ticket - e.g., DC and Alexandria, Va.), but this needs to be universal...
Old 12-04-05, 08:54 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks Koffee!

I signed, but I must say that it was reluctantly. I do hope that it spurs some action to make the roads safe for cyclists and others.

I think that the petition does present a few things differently than I would.

First, do you really thik that DUI laws would be effective if they were only taken seriously when death was the result?

Also, there are too many other things that are just as stupid to do while driving, and we are not addressing them. For example, eating is a significant distraction, yet we as a society encourage it by selling drivers ready to eat food directly to their cars... I have seen people reading maps and newspapers.

Then, I did see that at least one study showed that talking to people in the car was just as distracting as talking using a hands free device... should we outlaw talking in cars?

Additionally, I have heard of at least two cases where multiple cyclists were injured or killed by people who dropped a casette and were trying to pick it up... and without that, some would still focus too heavily on finding the right station. Should we outlaw music in cars?

I will honestly say that I have been guilty of some of the above actions at one point or another, but this does not make them safe.

I have even found myself drifting while trying to check my odometer, or setting the cruise control...

I also have a minor issue with the methodology... A list of names from online with the only verification being an email address is less likely to be taken seriously by law makers than a letter...

Repeating my initial comment, I hope that Jim's death leads to some good in the area of safety, and thank Koffee for taking this step...

Toward enhancing Koffee's actions, I think that I will compose a letter and provide it for anyone interested in using it as a basis for your own letter. I will be sending it to my senators, congressman, state legislators and local officials.

To add weight, I think it would be good to include a couple of other cyclists killed within the past year or two, where the cause was obviously a distracted driver. This would be used to add weight to the concern raised by Jim's death. Any suggestions?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-04-05, 08:56 AM
Tail End Charlie

Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, got it. It may have been an AOL problem.
Old 12-04-05, 09:13 AM
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koffee, thanks for setting this up.

I work for a major multi-national company & we have a strict policy of no cell phone use while driving. However, cell phone usage is just another in a long list of distractions drivers are subject to. It is symptomatic of a much larger problem: Many Americans seem to think that they have a God-given right to drive when they want to, where they want to, and as fast as they want to, and to hell with the consequences.
Old 12-04-05, 09:29 AM
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koffee,
This is something I would not have signed a few years ago thinking it severely limits freedom. I signed it today based upon anecdotal observations from the past few years. About 80% of the bad drivers I've witnessed over that time period (too slow or too fast, weaving, making ill advised turns, etc) are on cell phones. It's become infuriating to the point that I now believe drivers should not be given the benefit of the doubt on this issue. Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Jim
Old 12-04-05, 09:49 AM
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, Koffee. I hooked it up early and have some family and friends who are/have, too.

1) I have a "HANG UP!" sign in the back of my car. It's rude, sure, but not as rude as Jim Price's death. I have since ordered bumper stickers that read "Drive now ... talk later!" for my wife's car, and potentially for mine (instead). Please consider adding something like this to your car.

2) I stumbled on this website: https://www.morganlee.org/ . These people lost their little girl to a cell-phone-distracted driver and are now advocates for this cause. They have good ideas, flyers, and names/addresses for cellular company execs to whom you can write. While I agree with the petition idea, I also agree that (even very brief) e-mails or letters to congressional reps and industry execs are powerful tools. I urge you to consider sending a few.

3) To those who say that cell phones are only representative of the issue: of course, you're right, but it has to start somewhere, and the statistics re: cell use and accidents are starting to come in. Cell use was determined to be the #1 cause of accidents in CA, above alcohol. Low-hangin' fruit. Easy pickins.

4) I'll say this again: don't be afraid to write to the DA in the Douglas County Court system (she's prosecuting our 17 year-old, text-messaging buddy). Her name is Carol Chambers. Her e-mail is: DA18@da18.state.co.us . Say what you want to say, but say something about this case. Jim Price needs a voice here.

Be careful out there, all.

EDIT: I'm gonna' post this on rec.bicycles.misc -- the Usenet forum.

Last edited by neil0502; 12-04-05 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-04-05, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I signed shortly after a near collision with a dork making an illegal left turn while talking on his cel phone.

Al
Old 12-04-05, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Rossin Track Bike,Canondale Track, RB-1, Ridley Crossbow, Felt Breed, Felt Sector 24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Signed. Great idea Koffee!
Old 12-04-05, 11:06 AM

First, I can't address everything. But I did make the language slightly broad when I said ban all use of mobile devices and cell phones. That can be clarified later to include hands free. I don't even think hands free should be used.

Second, I can't address everything in one petition. We are trying to address a certain issue. I really think it has to be a "one at a time" kind of thing. I could have included televisions and other electronics devices, but then I think we're starting to get off track. So this is how I went with the petition.

Thanks for the support!

Koffee

Old 12-04-05, 11:59 AM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Signed. 65 has done the same so far
Old 12-04-05, 03:27 PM

I edited the first post to reflect the correct webpage.

Koffee

Old 12-04-05, 03:31 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm all for banning the things. However, the states each write their own vehicle code. The U.S. Congress is the wrong body to send a petition to. I would recommend a copy to each of the state legislatures, plus to each of the state Governors.

EDIT: Of course, some states-- New York comes to mind immediately-- have already banned the use of cell phones while driving, so it would be pointless to send them a petition. A couple of months ago, I complied a list of the states that have already banned cell phone use while driving; I'll be glad to post the list of you want.

Last edited by Blue Order; 12-04-05 at 03:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.