Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Component Stripping - how difficult ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to have a frame re-sprayed.

The bike shop said they can remove the components and put them back after for £40.

I would like to strip the Bike myslef, but concerned about doing it correctly.
I am pretty new to doing the Bike Mechanics myslef and my main concern is the Bottom Bracket, how difficult is it to take this off and put it back properly ? In general is it pretty straight forward to strip a bike back to the frame and put the components back ? or is it worth letting the shop do it ?

On the subject of BB's - the Bike is pretty low end spec right now and I am putting some better components on it - do BB's come in different specs ? and is it worth up-grading this ?

Thanks..
Old 12-04-05, 04:05 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Crank and bottom brackets are fairly straight forward to remove if you have the correct tools. For £40 you should be able to buy the proper bb removal/installation tool and a crank arm puller with money left over. Study Park Tools' web site for step-by-step directions and the recommended tools. I assume Park Tools are available to you or there are other good makes.

You probably should let the shop remove the headset cups (and the crown race if you're having the fork done) and reinstall them when the job is complete.

What make and model crank and bb do you have? It would be easier to recommend a substitute if we knew where we are starting.
Old 12-04-05, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a very basic Shimano(just a black Crank arm with Shimano on it) - I was thinking about an XT Crank Set - can get them for a good price on Ebay.

I looked on Park Tool, it seems when you a buy new Crank Set you get all of the parts you need to fit it - is this correct ? I thought the BB was a different component fm the Crank Set....

I will give it a go and get the tools fm Park Tool - I am not spraying the forks - & I guess I shud be able to strip and re-fit the other components, if I can do the BB - I changed my front Derailleur without too many problems flwg the Park Tool site... Guess it's a good way to learn how the Bike goes together.

Thanks..!
Old 12-04-05, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
The only difficult part about the bb is the fixed cup, you really need a special tool to get it out and you have to be sure which way to turn it, most are left hand thread but some are RHT. For the headset cups and race you really don't need a special tool to remove. You can use a long screwdriver and hammer to tap out the cups, just go slowly around the inside of each cup, same thing with the fork race.

Once the bike is done, you want a bike shop to face the bb and headtube. They will machine the ends of the BB and HT to get all the paint off of it and more importantly, to make sure both faces are perfectly parallel. If you have them do the facing, they will likely include reinstalling the headset cups and race and bb fixed cup in the price.

Give it a try!
Old 12-04-05, 09:14 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I looked on Park Tool, it seems when you a buy new Crank Set you get all of the parts you need to fit it - is this correct ? I thought the BB was a different component fm the Crank Set....
First, you need tools to get the old crank off. Most new cranks come with the chainrings mounted and include the bolts needed to fasten them to the bottom bracket spindle. Bottom brackets are bought separately and don't come with the crank. Some of the newer design Shimano cranks come with the spindle built-in but you have to buy the bearing assemblies separately.

BTW, look inside one of your current crank arms. There should be a model number stamped there so we can be more helpful as to what tools you will need.