Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What do you guys think about the polar S710 HRM??

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-08-02, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Might be getting one. Was wondering what you guys thought?
Old 10-08-02, 04:03 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I think it is more than most people need and kinda pricey.

I got a Sports Instruments ECG5.

https://www.sportsinstruments.com/products/ecg5.html

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-08-02, 04:26 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by RonH
I think it is more than most people need and kinda pricey.
Ditto.

However, if you want the features, its a great device.
Old 10-08-02, 04:45 PM
have bike will tour

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520, Trek 2120

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
being a dealor i get a great wholesale price for all polar products including the 710 . i use it and like the features of downloading data to my computer from each ride and work out. the graphs and comparisons it does is great for my training program.

i also have the power option for my bicycle but it is still in the box havent installed yet. Ive sold at least 15 of the 710's since they first became available. most people buying them are serious athletes but some are just recreational with a lust for tecnology. I agree that most people do not need all the features but if you have the money and desire it is a great monitor.
catfish
Old 10-21-02, 07:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my polar S710 yesterday, started using it in the evening and logged some miles. I just wanted to check out how it would turn up on the precision performance software. I was having some problems with the transmitter though, not picking up my heart rate.

Guess I'll try it again today, the watch is really cool with self-programmed logo that you can display if you like using the software. It will definitely serve me well, improving my fitness and health while having fun with technology.
Old 10-22-02, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The polar S710 is really great, I tried it again this morning and got great and accurate readings. I'm still trying to understand how some things should be done like the exercise sets.

I felt a lot more confident on my bike and that I know what I am doing right or what I'm doing wrong. Today was an easy day and now I feel really great. Guess there won't be any more overtraining sessions for me.

Anyway, I like the ability for the heart rate monitor to display a logo that you can edit. Any of you have great polar monitor bitmaps? I would prefer cycling related bitmaps. Please send to me.
Old 11-08-02, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Trek, of course.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the S510. It's a nice unit, too, but not quite as pricey as the 710.

In general, you can't go wrong with Polar HRM's as long as you select the right one for your objectives.

I had an ECG5 from another vendor before and the strap was so cheesy it came apart 3 times, after which I replaced it with the Polar. The plastic on the ECG5 wouldn't handle the fatigue, so the pins that attached the watch to the band would tear their way through the plastic and fall off the bike.
Old 11-12-02, 09:35 AM
have bike will tour

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520, Trek 2120

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finially got arrround to installing the power ooption on the road bike all i can say is "awsome!
Old 11-12-02, 03:28 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to have one, but am satisfied with my 510.
Old 11-13-02, 09:48 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an S210. The concensus from most users is that Polar makes good HRMs. My only gripe is that I've had my S210 since early August, and I still am learning the various incantations, etc., to perform different functions, e.g. press pause, then press and hold OK, while swinging a dead chicken counter-clockwise over your head to display results in swahili. Okay, I'm exagerating, but not much. The S710 has more features. How much more functionality can they cram into 5 buttons?

You may have already seen it, but for a real good idea of the benefit of having a downloadable HRM ride profile, check this thread.
Old 11-14-02, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I know, the polar S710 is really good.

Fun wise, you get to design a personal logo that can appear on your watch display but there won't be a date display the moment you want to know the date. You have to hold the button just to change to the date. Otherwise, when people look at your watch, they know what you are made of. For me, I put my name Joseph followed by a cyclist on a moving bike.

Training wise, you get to have 5 exercise sets that you can program, which should be more than enough for your weekly training. Since then, one should not have a lot of problem trying to change your training. Even when you have to change it, it is really easy.

Furthermore, you can easily switch between the exercise sets and can turn your bike function off or on easily. You get to have shortcut button and it is really easy to use. There are actually like 9 buttons on the watch since 4 of them get to have a different function when you hold them.

The connection to the computer is also really easy, no fuss at all. Well, very little and you get all sorts of thing with the software itself. If you really have the money, you should get the polar S-series, especially the S710 if you are a cyclist. If you don't, maybe you might want to consider saving up for it. I'm really lucky to get it and I know that you will enjoy it as well.
Old 11-14-02, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have several Polar HRM's and currently use an S-510. I just bought a 710 however. The 510 is great, yeah it has a LOT of features, but at first you just use the basic mode and then add an exercise mode that records. Later as you use it more and more you will start to use the extra functions like intervals, recovery timer and the like. You can use as many or as few of the functions that you like. The drawback is the soniclink..using a microphone is not as nice as the infrared of the 710. But most of all the 510 only stores all data for one exercise session. If you start a second session or accidentally press the "record" button you will erase most of the information that you would see on the computer like a graphed heart rate....you get to keep only the basic HRM averages for other sessions. The 710 records everything for many sessions. That way if I run in the morning and bike later, I don't have to go to the computer in between.

Gary
Old 11-15-02, 05:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah hakuna, hope you do like it as much as I do or even more.