Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How's this day compare to Gary's ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to recycle (had tons of cardboard boxes), Wal-Mart (what a zoo), watched National Championship Division II football (took the game down to the last play), checked out a new pair of bike shorts on ebay and searched thru www.MissingMoney.com Yahoo! Found about 1K for a couple cousins and my niece...but none for me!

Don't the snow gods know that when the bike gets put away, Taos Mountain is suppose to be covered? The skis are all dressed up with no place to go.

For the icing on the cake... I'm getting ready to watch Reggie get the Heisman tonight.

Well tomorrow it's off to the gym!
Old 12-10-05, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WalMart for me and the Mrs. today, too.

"Zoo" as a description is exercising quite a bit of restraint!
Old 12-10-05, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's a good list, you must be organized. If you get the bike shorts, we'll gladly "critique" them for you.
Old 12-10-05, 08:12 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not ride today. I spent the day helping my son car shop. I spent $212.50 for my first car in 1964.....a well used '55 Ford "hardtop" robins egg blue. Suffice it to say, things have changed. Gary, your search for a bike was a ride in the park compared to the soul searching of this young man for a car.....at least one in his price bracket
Old 12-10-05, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the morning started off with a couple cups of coffee and some television. About 11 A.M. we fixed some lunch (left over turkey from Thanksgiving, made into sandwitches). I went out to the garage and put the bike rack on the SUV and loaded up all the supplies for a ride. We loaded up our tandem on the hitch rack and headed out for a ride out by the southern shore of the Great Salt Lake.

We arrived at our ride starting spot and headed west, into the sun. It was cold, barely 20F, but we maintained a good pace. After about 8 or 9 miles, the rear tire flatted. Time to grab the morph pump, spare inner tube and take off my gloves and make the repair. My stoker was a lot of help, and soon we were back in action, heading out to the marina (about 12 miles out). But, my hands got really cold.

We were running close to 20 MPH most of the way out and my face was really cold, even with a gator pushed up, just under, and at times over my nose. I won't go into details about what my nose was doing. Well, we made it in good shape to the marina, and that hand dryer in the bathroom sure felt good. Now time to head back. Again, we made good time, but the sun was a lot lower and boy, was it getting cold. After we got back to the car, and loaded up, we stopped at the nearby convienance store for a hot coffee. 32 ounces is a lot of coffee...

Now it was time to go to Petsmart for some kittie litter and then to Home Depot for some faucet repair stuff. We got home about 5 P.M. or so and into a hot shower. Boy, that shower felt good. We built a great pizza and just finished eating it. I'll sleep well tonight!!! OHB
Old 12-10-05, 10:12 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by TaosWoman

I went to recycle (had tons of cardboard boxes), Wal-Mart (what a zoo), watched National Championship Division II football (took the game down to the last play), checked out a new pair of bike shorts on ebay and searched thru www.MissingMoney.com Yahoo! Found about 1K for a couple cousins and my niece...but none for me!

Don't the snow gods know that when the bike gets put away, Taos Mountain is suppose to be covered? The skis are all dressed up with no place to go.

For the icing on the cake... I'm getting ready to watch Reggie get the Heisman tonight.

Were you watching the Furman/Appalachian State game by chance? My daughters go to App State and called me after the game while standing on the field celebrating. They're planning a trip to the National Championship game next Friday and are pretty excited.

By the way, the skis will get plenty of action soon.
Old 12-10-05, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart and I don't see each other very much, except at two or three in the morning on occasion in the summer when I take my youngest daughter and whatever sleepover friends are here (a constant during the summer months). We play a game where we try to pick out which of the people there are zombies and which are vampires. Some truly unusual people frequent our Walmart in the middle of the night, ourselves included.

My day started out miserably. My oldest daughter might FAIL a class due to the fact that she didn't get a term paper in!!! She was spending time with her boyfriend instead. Oh, was I pissed off!!! I have to say I'm pretty proud of her overall in that she'll get her degree in criminal justice while still a teen (barely at 19), but I was mad. I'm not one to scream at my daughters, so I hit the weights for a half an hour and did over two hours on my Lemond RevMaster listening to Led Zeppelin LOUD. Then, I took the dogs on two consecutive runs. By that time, I felt pleasant again, actually in a pretty good mood considering.

Exercise is my most effective way of letting off steam, although listening to classical music helps too.
Old 12-10-05, 10:39 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TaosWoman

I think I prefer my day, if you don't mind!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-13-05, 10:37 AM

Bikes: SL4 S-Works, Ibis Mojo 3, Kona Sutra Ltd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Spent the weekend at Jay Peak, VT doing a telemark festival. 5 1/2 hour drive from Portland in the big snowstorm on Fri, only 4 hours to come back on Sun. Man, did all that biking this summer pay off.