Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie is down for the count... rear wheel issue...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 12:41 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I rode the fixie into work yesterday and suffered out the 13 below windchill and massive hills I encounter with the 40x13t I have on there. Made it in ok, but felt it towards the the end of the ride.

Anyways, on the way back, I feel like I'm riding with the brakes on (even though it only has a front) and feel like the effort is getting progressively higher. Takes me over an hour to make it back and I almost had to call for a ride.

So, turns out that my rear hub apparently tightens itself as I ride. This will be the third time I readjusted it. The hub is some BMX style 120mm deal spaced to 126mm. What I mean by BMX style is that it looks like a Bulletproof hub in that it has two large cartridge bearings pressed into the hub on either side of the shell, completely exposed, with the axlerunning through the middle of the bearing. The bearing on the drive side is in very bad shape. I don't know how they progressively tighten, but they do, and theres no way I can figure out to grease/replace the bearings. Theres two adjustment settings, too. Either "lots o' play" or "doesn't really turn anymore". Any suggestions?

I do have new hubs on order from Velocity, but I have to wait until January they thought to get the silvers I so desperately want. Going through Velocity is saving me about $20 off of ordering through any of our distributors so I rather wait and milk this otherwise fine wheelset along.
Old 12-11-05, 01:13 PM
na975

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
see, you think u r saving $ by buying crap/ mismatched components,thats why your junk is always crapping out.

Old 12-11-05, 01:17 PM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by na975
see, you think u r saving $ by buying crap/ mismatched components,thats why your junk is always crapping out.
What the crap are you talking about? I can't really think of anything on any of my bikes that I consider junk except this rear wheel (which came with the bike, which I got FREE)... and I can't remember the last time a bike of mine broke down on me. I guess that my roadbike does have mismatched shifters (Ultegra/Tiagra), but they've worked without a flaw for a few years now.
Old 12-11-05, 02:41 PM
na975

people get on here all the time and ***** about there parts failing, thats what i'm taking about.all they ever care about is saving$ and for what? to get stuck somewhere dangerous,far from home.

Old 12-11-05, 06:14 PM
seeking simple

Bikes: Yes!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocity is far from crap, dude.

Seely, sorry I can't help with your bearings...

Out of curiousity, what do you have on order?

EDIT: I just saw your other "poop" post. You're not having good luck with this thing, are you?
Old 12-11-05, 06:18 PM
na975

i meant other crap.

Old 12-11-05, 11:06 PM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnbikelove
Velocity is far from crap, dude.

Seely, sorry I can't help with your bearings...

Out of curiousity, what do you have on order?

EDIT: I just saw your other "poop" post. You're not having good luck with this thing, are you?
So far, its a bit of a headache, but hey it was a free ride with $0 invested (I even had the bar laying around). The hubs are Velocity track hubs, but they currently only have black in stock. The silver are "on the water" and should be here first of the year. I went through them because a) they are 4 miles from my house, and b) our shop has a great relationship with them so I actually get a bit off wholesale on them... worst comes to worst though I may just pony up for some Formulas from another distributor.