Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

OZ National XC championship (PICS!! VIDEOS!! REPORT!!)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

OZ National XC championship (PICS!! VIDEOS!! REPORT!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-06, 11:34 PM
Elite Rep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one rode rigid and i'm glad they didn't. And front suspension IS a must on some sections of that course!
Old 02-12-06, 11:38 PM
Just Ride

Bikes: 2005 Giant Yukon with the works.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Selector
hey thanks for the video... how fast do you say they were going on the initial sprint?
Wouldn't have a clue. I'm guessing just over 30km/hr.

Originally Posted by badsac
Does anyone race on rigids anymore? Looking at that track, suspension seems almost a waste. I only got off a rigid onto an 06 xtc2 recently, and be buggered if I can go as fast.
I did not see one rigid in that race.
Old 02-13-06, 02:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_neon
No one rode rigid and i'm glad they didn't. And front suspension IS a must on some sections of that course!
Why are you glad?

A must? What do you think people did before suspension? Just ride around on the road?
Old 02-13-06, 03:09 AM
Elite Rep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are you glad?
Because they would have struggled on a rigid on a long race without it.
A must?
For an event that will qualify you into the Commenwealth Games, yes.

What do you think people did before suspension? Just ride around on the road?
Not at all, i'm not saying anything about the past, i'm talking about this particular race.

Sorry to offend you, but it would be silly in my opinion for any of these pro races to choose a rigid fork over a suspension fork in a race like this. They choose it for a reason.

Last edited by blue_neon; 02-13-06 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 05:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not offended. Just an "old school" fella trying to work out why I'm slower around my local XC loop on my new xtc2 than I was on my old rigid. And reasoning that if the track is smooth enough, which that track looks like it could have been (just from the images), would anyone do an XC race on a rigid anymore. Or are all you kids just to soft to take a bit of jiggling anymore?

And just wondering if the reason they choose suspension is just because it's the done thing. Thinking outside the box and going back to a rigid could give someone an advantage depending on the track.
Old 02-13-06, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not offended. Just an "old school" fella trying to work out why I'm slower around my local XC loop on my new xtc2 than I was on my old rigid. And reasoning that if the track is smooth enough, which that track looks like it could have been (just from the images), would anyone do an XC race on a rigid anymore. Or are all you kids just to soft to take a bit of jiggling anymore?

And just wondering if the reason they choose suspension is just because it's the done thing. Thinking outside the box and going back to a rigid could give someone an advantage depending on the track.
I doubt if anyone riding the selection race for the Commonwealth Games would ride FS just because it's the "done thing". Their coaches might possibly express themselves with the understated politeness for which Aussies are renowned. And relatively smooth or not, at their speeds, the hands, wrists and arms would take a fair old hammering on rigid
Old 02-13-06, 11:18 PM
Elite Rep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly what atbman says, 7 laps on an extremly hard 7km course on a rigid would put your body under a lot of strain. Especially on the rock garden where you roll down just like rolling down steps, doing that on a rigid again and again while racing is going to put a lot of strain on some of your body parts!
Old 02-13-06, 11:53 PM
Elite Rep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sS-bEn
Riding with a rigid on the rock garden wouldn't be all to good. You would need at least some kind of suspension.
As we just said above...
Old 02-14-06, 12:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_neon
Exactly what atbman says, 7 laps on an extremly hard 7km course on a rigid would put your body under a lot of strain. Especially on the rock garden where you roll down just like rolling down steps, doing that on a rigid again and again while racing is going to put a lot of strain on some of your body parts!
Meh. Just ride the bumps. Rock gardens aren't a drama on rigids. It's not like they're freeriding or anything. Look at the limitations of their bikes. Wish you had of taken some pictures of these boulders they were running over so I could judge for myself.
Old 02-14-06, 12:56 AM
Elite Rep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its more try riding 6km of XC, very difficult and in some parts slow without these obstacles. Then if to ride 7 laps without stopping isn't enough, i'm sure the agrevation of bumps and a rough ride + the amount of strain it would put on your body + the amount of leg strength they would need to shock absorb (you need to absorb the shock whether it be front fork susp or your legs). Of course you could ride it rigid, but why would you when you have the choice of a Fox 80mm front fork?
Old 02-14-06, 01:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, but that awesome feeling of your finger joints separating from the constant jarring means you wouldn't be focussing on your burning lungs and legs.

Nah, just stiring. I know there's no way anyone would ride rigids if they had a choice. I'm just pissed cause I've gone from an ok rider on my old thing to a bum on the new bike. I'll sort out how to get on with the fork one day.
Old 02-14-06, 02:01 AM
Mullet Boy!

Bikes: a giant upland 03, old europia road bike or something and soon to be getting a Norco Bigfoot or something of the sort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper
The guy at my LBS has a really schmick rigid singlespeed with light components, this bike is lighter than his oldish kinda cheap road bike
where is your LBS hopper? I use tha aldgate one