Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to dress warm but not look.....well, you know.

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 06:43 AM
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One word: Tights. Second word: Fairy.

There has to be a better way to dress in this demanding winter weather.
Old 10-10-02, 07:00 AM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Killer...

I challenge you to walk up to Udo Bolts or Ludo Dierkxsens when they're out in their cold weather gear and call them "fairies."

The advantage of tights is that they don't flap in the breeze and, being tight, they trap a relatively small amount of air between layers so the air doesn't cool off as quickly.

If you're still insecure about wearing tights after talking with Udo and Ludo, you could consider getting nylon rain pants like these and wear them over long johns, or whatever, or wind pants like this. If you shop around, you can also find insulated, semi-baggy Gore-Tex pants, often with insulation that look like this .

And if you need to keep really warm, you can wear tights underneath so no one will know you're a fairy.

Hope that helps.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 10-10-02, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by velocipedio

I challenge you to walk up to Udo Bolts or Ludo Dierkxsens when they're out in their cold weather gear and call them "fairies."

Udo who? Ludo whaT?
Old 10-10-02, 08:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey killer, I wear tights, they don't flap, they trap warmth, they are warm, they don't get hung up on bike parts, they don't restrict movement. I'm not a fairy, I don't ride in cold freezing wet weather to impress others, I don't care what others think, If I give others something to talk about at dinner, good for me. I ride a bike, everywhere, I wear lycra shorts too and tight jerseys, I'm fit and healthy, oh yes, did I tell you I'm old too and I've been doing this a long time.
Dress warm, ride the bike it'll help ya live longer, and if people talk about you because of what you wear, they will talk about you even if you dress differently so don't worry about it and ride the bike.
Old 10-10-02, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Bianchi, Olmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Killer...

The advantage of tights is that they don't flap in the breeze and, being tight, they trap a relatively small amount of air between layers so the air doesn't cool off as quickly.

If you're still insecure about wearing tights after talking with Udo and Ludo, you could consider getting nylon rain pants like these and wear them over long johns, or whatever, or wind pants like this. If you shop around, you can also find insulated, semi-baggy Gore-Tex pants, often with insulation that look like this .

And if you need to keep really warm, you can wear tights underneath so no one will know you're a fairy.

Hope that helps.
The guy does have a point though, tights look ridiculous regardless of whos wearing them. My roomate (also an avid cyclist) seems to have this warped idea in his head that people actually think biking gear in general looks GREAT and that other people (women in particular) will think he looks extra cool when sporting lycra on his bike. I sometimes dont have the heart to bring him down from his cloud to inform him that most people snicker at cyclists sporting lycra.

Cycling gear looks silly, and downright dorky for the most part... unfortunately its a silliness that must be endured for one of lifes great pleasures.
Old 10-10-02, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear tights in the winter too. Nobody ever looked at my thighs and called me a fairy.

They are warm and cause a lot less wind drag than wool or any other material.

Anybody with the gusto to bike in the winter gets the respect deserved to wear whatever the hell they want.
Old 10-10-02, 08:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to side with Killer. I don't care who you are, tights look gay. Certainly doesn't stop me from wearing them because they are the best defense for bikers against cold. But there's nothing "cool" about them.
Old 10-10-02, 09:00 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go ahead and wear tights. You'll get used to the odd looks and disapproving glances of strangers. The rude remarks of friends will lose their sting after a time.

Just don't wear shoes like George Hincapie's!
Old 10-10-02, 09:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should i get tights that have fleece on the inside? I know they will feel better, but are they warmer? Any particular brand or model you can recommend?
Old 10-10-02, 09:35 AM
Director @ Bike Law

Bikes: Christiania, Bullitt, All City Nature Boy, Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One things about tights, they do make chicks with nice bodies look even better And yes I'm female, and yes I will say that

Bike Law
We are your network of bicycling lawyers and advocates across North America.

Women's Cycling
Empowering women to bike more and worry less.
Old 10-10-02, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the tights. The insults just make you ride harder. I was verbally accosted twice while wearing my tights. One time by an unclean drifter sort of fellow who wasn't worth the effort and once by a man on roller skates (a grown man on roller skates!!) again, not worth the effort. Neither of them used the word fairy though.

P.S.
Don't forget your feet. Those super ventilated shoes don't do a thing to keep your toes warm in the winter.
Old 10-10-02, 09:48 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by killerasp
One word: Tights. Second word: Fairy.

There has to be a better way to dress in this demanding winter weather.
Personally I don't give a rats a$s what anyone thinks about
how I look when I'm riding. I'm too old to care anymore
and besides my circle of friends are all (well mostly all) cyclists
who look just as dorky in lycra.
Hey, I happen to think that way baggy pants with
the crotch halfway to one's knees is dorky, doesn't mean
sh*t to shinola.

Go for the fleece if it gets really cold where you are,
I'd suggest not getting chamois tights, just wear em over
your bike shorts.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-10-02, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Arsbars
One things about tights, they do make chicks with nice bodies look even better And yes I'm female, and yes I will say that
If only all the hot chicks here at syracuse university rode a bike and at the same time wore tights.....if only.
Old 10-10-02, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by lotek

I'd suggest not getting chamois tights, just wear em over
your bike shorts.

Marty
whats chamois?
Old 10-10-02, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ARSBARS, What do you think of men wearing tight lycra tights with large clearly defined muscles in the thigh and calves while spinning up a steep grade? I know when I watch a fit musclular women climb in front of me it really does the job. I never try to pass, I'm quite happy with the view from the back.
Old 10-10-02, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Chamois is a small deer found in the Alpes and Pyrenees.
Cyclists used to use their skin for the padding in bike shorts.
Modern bike shorts use synthetic polyester "chamois" inserts, which are a whole lot better and easier to use.
Some leggings are designed for use over padded shorts, others have their own padding. Padding has to be washed after every ride, so its easier to use leggings over shorts.

Make sure you get leggings with some degree of windproofing. At cycling speeds, wind is the biggest heat suck. The colder it is, the more windproofing you need. For me, below 8C I need total wind blocking, but above that, total blocking can get a bit warm.

Check out icebike.com for winter biking advice.
Old 10-10-02, 10:51 AM
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like to dress in "civilian clothes", i.e. in clothes that are good for day to day life once I'm off the bike. So that usually means dress trousers and either a nice sweater or a suit, except in summer when I often wear a short-sleeve shirt.

From late fall to early spring, I usually wear long underwear under my trousers. Very effective, as thermal underwear usually keeps me warm down to -10 C to -25 C, depending on wind and length of the ride. At -10 C, I can ride all day. At -25 C, I'm OK for 1 hour; if the ride is longer, I also wear my rain trousers, which are good at cutting the wind.

Regards,
Old 10-10-02, 10:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd rather be warm than "cool". I could care what people say about my tights. They are just jealous they don't have legs like mine.
Old 10-10-02, 02:27 PM

Bikes: '01 Norco 125cc, '09 Merida 901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd wear tights, but being a teenager and having teenage friends I'm afraid I wouldn't endure the political impact of my actions.
Old 10-10-02, 03:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have several pairs of bib tights, and the best of the lot, in my opinion, are the Sugoi MidZeros - fleece liner - wind proof panel in only the right places - and (for my 6'2" 190 lb frame) a better fit than the PI, performance (both too baggy by the time you get to the right length) or Giordana (too tight - must be designed for the really skinny arsed pro-roadie crowd). So far, only road tested them at no colder than 30 - but I was still plenty comfortable once I got warmed up, so I'm guessing I could go colder.

And anybody who calls you a fairy is insecure in their own self image - so ignore 'em.

Last edited by OldDog; 10-10-02 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DUH

Last edited by killerasp; 10-10-02 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by MeHT
I'd wear tights, but being a teenager and having teenage friends I'm afraid I wouldn't endure the political impact of my actions.
i dont think girls find guys wearing tights attractive. on top of that, my tights squish my package...
Old 10-11-02, 07:00 PM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode by some of my female students this morning. I was wearing tights. This afternoon, I ran into them again at school. "Of all the faculty, you have the cutest ass," one said. "Whay don't you wear your tights to teach?" Asked another.

Hey, what can I say... It's flattering to have twenty-something girls say my thrirty-something butt is cute...

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 10-11-02, 09:46 PM

Bikes: '01 Norco 125cc, '09 Merida 901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode by some of my female students this morning. I was wearing tights. This afternoon, I ran into them again at school. "Of all the faculty, you have the cutest ass," one said. "Whay don't you wear your tights to teach?" Asked another.

Hey, what can I say... It's flattering to have twenty-something girls say my thrirty-something butt is cute...
Did you run a sarcasm check?
J/k.
Old 11-03-02, 03:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear what works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.