Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

what to wear for freezing temps

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I go waste a lot of money what an I going to need to keep riding this winter in weather that is 20 - 40 degrees?

I am really looking to find specific items (I know I will need tights, but what brand / model will keep me warm)

thanks,

John
Old 12-14-05, 07:53 AM
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feet: if you've got the wedge, then some winter shoes like Northwave Fahrenheit or Shimano RW102 would be nice. But 95% of roadies seem to be able to make do with overshoes.

Legs: Bib Long's with wind breaker material on the knees, outer thighs and shins. Assos if you have the wedge, but the Gore Proteam Bibs are very good, as are the Endura Thermalite Bib Longs.

Body: versatility is the key here, I'd use a long sleeve base layer, windproof but fairly light long sleeve jersey and then a waterproof shell. That should be enough to keep you warm and dry and you can fold away the shell once you've warmed up. Can't comment on specific products but I'd say good windproofing on you middle and outer layers will count for more than bulk.
Old 12-14-05, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Northern Illinois, so I generally ride in -5-30F temperatures during Winter. So far, I have done three seasons here, and have tried various bits of clothing. I am also rather short, so that complicates matters when going for a nice fit. In any case, I currently wear mostly Assos clothing. Assos is rediculously expensive, but it has lasted me well and seems to fit my body fine. You can also find some of that line on sale come season end. In particular, I wear their FUGU jacket, Thermax Tights (with insert), Powerstatic Plus overshirt. I also wear a Pearl Izumi AmFib shoe covers and a baselayer Statum long sleeve crew under the Powerstatic Plus. PI's EKG series baselayers and Toastie covers are both better, but I could not find them at my local LBS. Finally, I wear an old balaclava, Oakley ski goggles, and cap under my helmet which I top with a gore-tex elastic cover from Gore Bikewear. As for gloves, I am still trying to find a good pair, but a good pair of ski gloves should do you fine.

T
Old 12-14-05, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clarify above, that is -5 to +30F. Sorry about that.

T
Old 12-14-05, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
The cold weather experts hang here
Old 12-14-05, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Performance Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For cold weather riding, the Triflex pants from Performance Bikes are awsome!!!!! The have plenty of flex room as well as being really warm!! Other than that, I wear a long sleeve compression shirt and a long sleeve jersey topped with a winbreaker jacket. It works for me! Layers!!!!
Old 12-14-05, 09:24 AM
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear an eskimo................just kidding. I buy alot from Performance. I use base layers like UA compression shirts, then I put on arm warmers by Sugoi that are wind/H2O proof; then a nice l/s jersey or even my fleece jersey. If really cold I supplement listed items with a Performance Nantahala wind/H2O proof jacket along with neoprene full fingered gloves and a Craft wind/H2O proof balaclava! If feet get cold, full Performance neoprene booties that are fleece lined!

Now with that being said if it gets cold then it may be too cold to ride!
Old 12-14-05, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone down to -5 wearing a thermal base layer, long sleeve jersey, shorts, windfront briefs on top of those, and then windfront tights. And then the standard shoe covers for my feet.
Old 12-14-05, 01:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtrollin
Before I go waste a lot of money what an I going to need to keep riding this winter in weather that is 20 - 40 degrees?

I am really looking to find specific items (I know I will need tights, but what brand / model will keep me warm)
I've been riding in that temp range the last month, no tights. I wear standard bike shorts, then a pair of Performance IllumNite pants. These are bascially any wind pants with a mesh lining. I've found that the wind pants over bike shorts do not create ANY discomfort, with the added bonus of being water repellent. The mesh traps enough air to keep my legs exactly warm enough so I don't notice I'm wearing the pants. I do have a velcro strap around my right ankle, to keep the pants out of the chain.

I wear just toe covers, enough to cover the shoe vent pattern, and thick wool socks. No feet problems at all.

For upper body, I was wearing a long sleeve wicking shirt under the Performance Illuminite jacket--again, a mesh lined windbreaker, but cut low enough in the back to cover the booty. Also, the jacket has pit vents--very nice after you start to sweat. Now I usually wear a SS wicking tee under the jackert--my arms get a little cold, but not even close to uncomfortable.

I'm not a rolling Performance commercial for any reason more than we were in the store when my wife decided to buy me as much safety stuff as possible, given a night commute.

On really crappy days, I wear a hoodie. A cheap neoprene one is all you need--keep direct wind off your face skin, and body heat does the rest. Plus, mouth breathing through the hoodie fabric helps retain moisture in your breath. Yeah, I'm a wheezer.

On hands, I wear my standard riding gloves, with wool gloves over that. I thought the wool wouldn't be enough in the wind without some sort of shell, but they are just fine. Guess I'm not going that fast.

Are you commuting, or training?
Old 12-14-05, 01:20 PM
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it's that cold?

Pajama's & fluffy slippers of course.
Old 12-14-05, 01:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It doesn't go down into the 20s ver often here. When it does, I wear two pairs of sweat pants, a t-shirt, sweat shirt, jacket, thermal gloves, wool shocks and a head cover. The head cover is a lycra 6-in-one thing from Nashbar. What I wear is not fashionable, but it works very well.
Old 12-14-05, 01:30 PM
hamster with funny pants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabloink
I wear two pairs of sweat pants, a t-shirt, sweat shirt, jacket, thermal gloves, wool socks and a head cover. The head cover is a lycra 6-in-one thing from Nashbar. What I wear is not fashionable, but it works very well.
The Knave unmasked!!!
Old 12-14-05, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Get yourself a pair of these:

Terramar "Wind" briefs
Old 12-14-05, 02:31 PM
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moved to the Winter cycling forum.

Thanks!
hi565
Mod
Old 12-14-05, 02:56 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jtrollin

thanks,

John
Performance Triflex BIB Tights will keep you plenty warm in 20 - 40 degrees (F)

Pearl Izumi Microsensor Balaclava under a BELL METRO Helmet with the WINTER KIT will keep you plenty warm in 20 - 40 degrees (F)

Pearl Izumi AmFIB Lobster Glove will keep you plenty warm in 20 - 40 degrees (F)

Under Armour Cold Gear 0512 MOCK LONGSLEEVE & Moisture WIck Sweatshirt(from Alertshirt.com) & Performance illumiNITE Cycling Jacket will keep you plenty warm in 20 - 40 degrees (F)

Lake MXZ301 Winter boot & WIGWAM 40 Below-F2230 Wool Sock will keep you plenty warm in 20 - 40 degrees (F)

You can spend as much as ya like...

Old 12-14-05, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that my Underarmour cold weather tights are wonderful and I picked them up for about $36 using a web coupon for Olympia sports. they are fleece lined tights. I wear them under my cycling bibs (padding, no issues with chafe) It really helps stop any wind issues too.

My feet keep warm via Louis Garneau booties, and I need to wear warmer socks than "summer weight" which make my toes freeze.

My gloves are craft and my fingers really get cold. That's teh only part which is not good.

I have a LG head cap with windstop on the front for under the helmet. Keeps my ears warm.

I wear a cycling jacket for wind protection and basically layer for warmth underneath the jacket.

The big problem is the fingers. My face is used to the cold from skiing. I typically don't go out when it's under 25, and the roads in Boston are horrendously dangerous when there's snow and a lack of shoulder. I'm buying a trainer for indoor use. It's simply amazing how much loot you spend on this sport...
Old 12-17-05, 10:56 PM
bhh

Bikes: '05 Merlin Cyrene, '96 Cad 3 C'Dale "the boneshaker"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here are my favorites:

Ibex marino wool base layer. This is great against the skin as it traps a lot of warmth, wicks well, dries fast and provides more warmth when wet than synthetics.
https://www.ibexwear.com/F05/View_Pro...CategoryLine=#

Descente Windproof base layer. This is pretty new but I like it a lot. It does a great job cutting wind and still vents well and I wear it over the Ibex wool base. I anticipate wearing this as a base layer under a regular jersey well into spring and in early fall.
https://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=4&minor=13

Gore Windstopper socks. These rock. I 've found when paired with a light pair of wool socks, I'm fine without booties down below 30. Much, much better than 2 pairs of regualr socks.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Last edited by bhh; 12-17-05 at 11:05 PM.