Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pains!

Old 12-16-05, 10:16 PM

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pains!

So all of a sudden( I just got a new road bike, not much different from my old one ), I have started to get backpains, while I'm riding its fine, sometimes down in the drops it feels like im in too much of a curl and my back is too long to be straight, but it doesnt really bother me when Im riding, then I come home, and my back is killing me an hour later. I've been just really sore lately. Maybe its the weather?

Any remedies for back pains?

also,

I have this sore pain right between my legs, where the weight usually sits on my seat. I ride everyday, so if its sore one day, the next day I go to sit down on the seat and it hurts real bad. What is this from? Im thinking it may be the angle of the seat, or perhaps its just too stiff? It is a Vetta seat.

Whoever can help, thank you!

Nick
Old 12-17-05, 01:59 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'm no bike sizing guru, but I have tweaked my bike to make it more comfortable.

A few things to try:
Raise the handlebars a bit.
Move your seat forward on its rails.
Make sure that your weight is on your "sit bones" and not the soft spot between them.

You can find a wealth of information for adjusting your seat and bars here.

The whole site has gobs of info, but I would start with the link.
Old 12-17-05, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nickmaimone
So all of a sudden( I just got a new road bike, not much different from my old one ), I have started to get backpains, while I'm riding its fine, sometimes down in the drops it feels like im in too much of a curl and my back is too long to be straight, but it doesnt really bother me when Im riding, then I come home, and my back is killing me an hour later. I've been just really sore lately. Maybe its the weather?

Any remedies for back pains?

also,

I have this sore pain right between my legs, where the weight usually sits on my seat. I ride everyday, so if its sore one day, the next day I go to sit down on the seat and it hurts real bad. What is this from? Im thinking it may be the angle of the seat, or perhaps its just too stiff? It is a Vetta seat.

Whoever can help, thank you!

Nick
The "all of a sudden" thing is puzzling. What changed on your bike or one your body suddenly? Any illnesses? Allergies? Any changes in diet or lifestyle? The pain is a warning sign, your body is telling you something, don't ignore it. Pull out a tape-measure, level and plumb-bob and set up your new bike EXACTLY to the same specs as your old one. You might even want to carry the old seat over. Might also require a new stem to get the exact same rise and reach as the old one.
Old 12-17-05, 03:05 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Not much" has changed? It doesn't take very much to radically alter the fit of your bicycle. Do you still have your old bike? If so, take a tape measure and carefully record the lengths of the top, bottom, down tubes, etc. The distance between the center of the BB and the top of the seat is critical, as is the distance from the center of the saddle to the point where you grip the 'bars. Don't forget the difference in height between the saddle and the handlebars. If you felt comfortable on your old bike, try to reproduce its fit on your new bike as closely as possible. Also, if your new saddle is uncomfortable, you may be unconsciously raising your behind up off the saddle. This puts more weight on your arms and wrists, and forces you to tighten up your back and stomach muscles to support your weight.
Old 12-17-05, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My back pain is always related to whether my core is in shape...

If I do situps or crunches, my back is more flexible and doesn't hurt on or off the bike. If I slack off, the back feels VERY uncomfortable on the bike, and hurts after a ride.

Try doing crunches every day.

bk
Old 12-17-05, 05:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your new bike does not fit you. Listen to Poppaspoke-he is wise.
Old 12-20-05, 05:52 PM

Bikes: GF Marlin, Roubaix Elite Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some issues with semi-sudden onset of problems with a new bike once. What happened to me was the seat quick-release binder stopped binding all that well. I'd hit a large pot-hole and my rear would hammer the seat down a little bit. It wasn't enough for me to really notice the height change immediately, but I quickly started getting sore in places where I hadn't been sore before, though not where one might suspect... Anyway, the point is that in addition to making sure the bike fits, make sure it continues to fit.