Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anyone else using chocolate milk as a recovery drink?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 12-19-05, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is absurd to me how much better is it than the Endurox R4 or whey protein right after a workout. I'll still have some whey about 2 hours later if I don't have a meal by then.
It just strikes me that chocolate milk is significantly cheaper, much much tastier, and not a lab-synthesized solution to our bodies needs.
There of course, like everything else is some science behind this. I had started drinking chocolate milk around october, but not regularly until I saw this.
https://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...02/1007/LIVING
Old 12-19-05, 12:41 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
plus it tastes about a million times better.
Old 12-19-05, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. Lots of articles in Runner's World and Prevention magazines to back you up.
Old 12-19-05, 05:06 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto. I saw a chocolate milk suggestion on another cycling website as well. I can't use it because of the sugar.
Old 12-20-05, 08:01 PM

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Webist, you can now get no sugar added chocolate milk, from Quik I believe. Tastes just about as good too.
Old 12-20-05, 08:58 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chocolate milk and pie, life don't get no better than that.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-20-05, 09:15 PM
Just ride.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And in the winter you can have it hot!
Old 12-21-05, 08:38 AM

Bikes: Fuji SL1, GT Team Carbon, Mrazek BOH FX Mountain bike and Giant TCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the Hershey squeeze bottle contains no grams of fat.

Serving Size 2 tbsp (39 g)
Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Calories 100
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 15 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 24 g 8%
Dietary Fiber less than 1 g 4%
Sugars 19 g
Protein less than 1 g

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
Sat Fat Less than 20g 25g
Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium Less than 2,400mg 2,400mg
Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g
Dietary Fiber 25g 30g
Old 12-21-05, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was just me... milk works great for me as a recovery drink...

the chocolate doen't contain fat but the milk does 2% milk containing about 5g per 240ml/1 cup serving.. but as the daily values show you need some fat in your diet... the other thing is that you can easily go through 2000 Cal in one ride so depending on the kind of riding you are doing that 2000 Cal guide line may not really apply to you...
Old 12-21-05, 03:34 PM
Directeur Sportif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
It is absurd to me how much better is it than the Endurox R4 or whey protein right after a workout. I'll still have some whey about 2 hours later if I don't have a meal by then.
It just strikes me that chocolate milk is significantly cheaper, much much tastier, and not a lab-synthesized solution to our bodies needs.
There of course, like everything else is some science behind this. I had started drinking chocolate milk around october, but not regularly until I saw this.
https://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...02/1007/LIVING
Cow's milk is for baby cows. The "research" you cite isn't published in a peer-reviewed journal, now is it?
Old 12-21-05, 04:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CapeRoadie
Cow's milk is for baby cows.
Folowing this train of thought... what is soy milk for?
Old 12-21-05, 06:02 PM
Team BYRDS

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds good. I might do that after spin classes to curtail my appetite/chocolate craving.
Old 12-21-05, 06:16 PM
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does it have to be chocolate? I drink both (choc & white), but I suppose the chocolate gives you a few more carbs (sugar), plus a little caffeine to keep you alert? Is it that much of a differance? I personally haven't really noticed it.
Old 12-21-05, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cow's milk is for baby cows. The "research" you cite isn't published in a peer-reviewed journal, now is it?

Well, thank you for illustrating your basic knowledge of mammalian biology. Mammals produce milk for their young. What's your point?
As for the Indianapolis Star being a peer-reviewed journal, again thank you for pointing out the obvious. I don't believe they were the ones conducting the research, unless of course I am unable to read. There are plenty of peer-reviewed studies on this exact issue.

I believe part of the reason why chocolate milk is thought of as a good thing is because it does have some fat content. I am not sure of the exact reasoning behind this, but you do need some level of fat in your diet. This American fear of fat is a little silly.
Old 12-21-05, 08:07 PM
taking the piss

Bikes: avanti vivace, repco piece of $#IT and a raleigh mtn bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, thank you for illustrating your basic knowledge of mammalian biology. Mammals produce milk for their young. What's your point?
As for the Indianapolis Star being a peer-reviewed journal, again thank you for pointing out the obvious. I don't believe they were the ones conducting the research, unless of course I am unable to read. There are plenty of peer-reviewed studies on this exact issue.

I believe part of the reason why chocolate milk is thought of as a good thing is because it does have some fat content. I am not sure of the exact reasoning behind this, but you do need some level of fat in your diet. This American fear of fat is a little silly.
America is a fat country! of course they need to be worried about consuming to much fat.
Old 12-21-05, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Cinelli Unica, BP Stealth, K2 Razorback, Steel Bianchi roadie, Bianchi Super GL, Specialized Stumpjumper, and 3 beach cruisers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, I love people like you. Some people get a little bit of knowledge and take it way too far, then people like you smack them in the face.
I've used chocolate milk after rides and other workouts lots of times. If you hate the taste of most other sports drinks, as I do, it really makes a great alternative. I'm more inclined to drink it, so I'll get more nutrients out of it than the minimal amount I would from the few teaspoons of endurox I'd be willing to drink. However, they do have those chocolate whey protein things that taste pretty good. The main thing to do is to get something into your body within an hour of your workout.
Old 12-22-05, 12:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
Does it have to be chocolate? I drink both (choc & white), but I suppose the chocolate gives you a few more carbs (sugar), plus a little caffeine to keep you alert? Is it that much of a differance? I personally haven't really noticed it.
Milk.. more than just a souce of Calcium (see below).

Milk is 87% water for re-hydration... plus carbs (more carb in choc because of the sugar not because of the choc) and protein... there is lots of research that shows ingesting carbs with a bit of protein helps carbs absorption... and carb absorption within 30-min after a ride is absorbed many times faster than say an hour after... the thing for me is that sometimes it's hard to eat right after a ride but with choc milk... it has what the body need and it's really easy to scarf down your throat.

as for the anti milk coalition... you don't have to drink milk, but you know what... it works, can't argue with success... it's a super easy, fast way to get what the body needs right after a ride [The End] [Period] [Full Stop]... [Edit] and on top of all that it's cheap and it taste good!!! [Edit]

Nutrient Amount in one cup (250 mL) of 2% milk
Vitamin A 147 RE
Vitamin D 2.6 mcg
Thiamin 0.1 mg
Riboflavin 0.43 mg
Niacin 2.2 NE
Vitamin B6 0.1 mg
Folacin 13 mcg
Vitamin B12 0.94 mcg
Pantothenate 0.8 mg
Calcium 314 mg
Phosphorus 245 mg
Magnesium 35 mg
Zinc 1.0 mg
Potassium 398 mg
Sodium 129 mg
Protein 8.6 g
Fat 5 g
Carbohydrate 12.4 g

Last edited by doctorSpoc; 12-22-05 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 12:14 AM
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the chocolate milk bandwagon.
Old 12-22-05, 12:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some links...

https://newsinfo.iu.edu/tips/page/normal/1674.html
https://walking.about.com/od/fluids/a/recoverydrink.htm
https://www.stackmag.com/TheIssue/Art...False&CID=2041
https://www.whymilk.com/chocmilk_abstract_acsm.doc
Old 12-23-05, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calcium probably helps as well. It's for more than just bones. Calcium helps regulate the electrical activity within the body -- especially heart rate and muscle contractions. With weight lifting, it is good to supplement 1 gm. of calcium per 1 hour of heavy olympic style lifting. If you do not supplement this calicum, it will be pulled from bone. This is not to say that you USE 1 gram of calcium per hour, it's just that calcium can be difficult to absorb, so you need to provide more.

I can see the same thing over time for cycling as well. Every muscle contraction and heart beat is relying on calcium in order to be regulated. That calcium has to come from somewhere.

Cycling and Osteoporosis has been getting a lot of attention lately, especially in older, life-long riders. It's better to supplement before than after, since taking calcium supplements will not REPLACE calcium that has been taken from bone mass. Supplementation is only a preventative measure to stop the calcium from being extracted from bones in the first place.
Old 12-24-05, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Sometimes I make a chocolate drink smoothie with Hershey's syrup, a banana, Torani's Hazelnut syrup, yogurt, and ice. Other times I substitute the Torani's Hazelnut syrup with Torani's Raspberry syrup. Both are delicious.
Old 12-25-05, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UMMMMMM milk and chocolate,, the 2 basic food groups
Old 12-26-05, 01:31 PM
Directeur Sportif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The study by Stager referenced in the Indiana newspaper reference you linked was funded by Dairy and Nutrition Council Inc., according to the Indiana University website. That makes any conclusions suspect. Further, one study does not a paradigm make. For example, a recent study showed no recovery benefit for massage after cycling (see https://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/cgi/cont...tract/38/2/173). I suppose we should simply throw out all the soigneurs right away? Could it be that 100 years of cycling tradition has it wrong? I don't think so.

Listen, there are many very respected physicians who think that bovine milk is simply bad news. Human breast milk is the best choice for humans. Baby cows drink cow's milk. After they grow up, they cease to drink it. The only reason we drink it as adults is because we have been subjected to a massive media campaign by the producers of milk. Perhaps in the days of famine and agriculture as the only means to survival, milk was a good idea. Not so today. The only survival milk is responsible for today is the survival of cardiac surgeons. On a gut (common sense) level, if cows and humans don't produce milk for adults, does it make sense that adults should drink it, especially to excess?

I will remain cautiously optimistic about Stager's as yet unpublished study. John Ivy and Bob Portman looked at recovery and found that WHEN nutrients are consumed is actually more important than WHAT is consumed. We should not give Joel Stager credit for something he played no role in discovering (i.e., nutrient timing). The researchers behind Endurox (Ivy, Portman) discovered that concept. Chocolate milk might be a viable option for many people out there, but many people are lactose intolerant, and the word is out as to whether the fat content of chocolate milk is an aid or a detriment to recovery in the first 15 minutes after exercise. Further, milk and other dairy products can be detrimental for many persons with varying diseases. I am also one of those who believes there is a milk-mucous connection, although no one has yet been able to prove it. The studies may be looking at the wrong populations. Bovine growth hormone is another real concern. Perhaps the best thing for us to look at would be Ben Cohen's (the Ben of Ben & Jerry's ice cream) cardiac history. It's not so good.

You are recommneding saturated fat as a good fat when you recomend milk. While I agree that Americans are confused about fat, recommending saturated fat by using milk may not be such a good idea. How about starting with recommendations for small amounts of omega-3 or omega-6 fats?

Like I said, cow's milk is for baby cows. They stop drinking it when they grow up. Maybe it's time you did too.

Last edited by CapeRoadie; 12-26-05 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The study by Stager referenced in the Indiana newspaper reference you linked was funded by Dairy and Nutrition Council Inc., according to the Indiana University website. That makes any conclusions suspect. Further, one study does not a paradigm make. For example, a recent study showed no recovery benefit for massage after cycling (see https://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/cgi/cont...tract/38/2/173). I suppose we should simply throw out all the soigneurs right away? Could it be that 100 years of cycling tradition has it wrong? I don't think so.

Listen, there are many very respected physicians who think that bovine milk is simply bad news. Human breast milk is the best choice for humans. Baby cows drink cow's milk. After they grow up, they cease to drink it. The only reason we drink it as adults is because we have been subjected to a massive media campaign by the producers of milk. Perhaps in the days of famine and agriculture as the only means to survival, milk was a good idea. Not so today. The only survival milk is responsible for today is the survival of cardiac surgeons. On a gut (common sense) level, if cows and humans don't produce milk for adults, does it make sense that adults should drink it, especially to excess?

I will remain cautiously optimistic about Stager's as yet unpublished study. John Ivy and Bob Portman looked at recovery and found that WHEN nutrients are consumed is actually more important than WHAT is consumed. We should not give Joel Stager credit for something he played no role in discovering (i.e., nutrient timing). The researchers behind Endurox (Ivy, Portman) discovered that concept. Chocolate milk might be a viable option for many people out there, but many people are lactose intolerant, and the word is out as to whether the fat content of chocolate milk is an aid or a detriment to recovery in the first 15 minutes after exercise. Further, milk and other dairy products can be detrimental for many persons with varying diseases. I am also one of those who believes there is a milk-mucous connection, although no one has yet been able to prove it. The studies may be looking at the wrong populations. Bovine growth hormone is another real concern. Perhaps the best thing for us to look at would be Ben Cohen's (the Ben of Ben & Jerry's ice cream) cardiac history. It's not so good.

You are recommneding saturated fat as a good fat when you recomend milk. While I agree that Americans are confused about fat, recommending saturated fat by using milk may not be such a good idea. How about starting with recommendations for small amounts of omega-3 or omega-6 fats?

Like I said, cow's milk is for baby cows. They stop drinking it when they grow up. Maybe it's time you did too.

???

baby cow's (otherwise known as calves) HAVE to stop drinking milk like every other mammal when they become adults... other than humans adults (and only humans adults in area's where cow's milk is drunk) cease to produce the enzime necessary to digest milk... humans have actually addaped over 10's of thousands of years to be able to digest COW's milk as adults... you can talk 'til you are blue in the face about this and that about cow's milk but the bottom line is that choc milk works as a recovery drink... it just does. and of course people that are lactose intolerant shouldn't drink it, i don't see anyone saying that they should?? and people probably shouldn't go out and drink copious amounts of it as a meal replacement or anything, don't think anyone is saying that either, but as a quick way to get carbs and protein into your system with the right timing (as you aluded to) and in the right ratio of carbs to protien (4:1)... it just as a really easy way to do it... try it, it works... just does.
Old 12-26-05, 02:41 PM
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Silk soy milk in chocolate is real good, especially if you are lactose intolerant.

https://www.silkissoy.com/index.php?sid=Products

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.