Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What pedals do you use?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What pedals do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 12:01 AM
team mascot

Bikes: gt gtb & marinoni pista special.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What pedals do you use?

Alright guys, I'm onto my next question
(I love it when you guys fight over my silly questions like that kashimax tt protector)

So what pedals do you guys use and to give me a general idea, how much did it cost?
So far for my new ride, I'm leaning towards the MKS track "sylvan" pedals with the NJS XL toe cage from Ben's Cycle
but being the cheapass that I am, I'm coming back to you guys for other suggestions.
Old 12-20-05, 12:20 AM
Rolling the Hard 6

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my .02 cents... buy some clips and straps that are nice and cheap at first (go used on the pedals). If you find that after a couple of weeks you're not lovin em, you can start saving for some clipless. If you decide you do like them, your only out like 20 bucks and will have a back up set of pedals just in case. MEC has some wellgo SPD for 30 bucks (or go used) and you can find many a shoe in the sub 50$ range online. I'm rocking some 661 Launch shoes which look like regular skate shoes but are spd compatible, also very comfy to walk and ride in. You may disregard this if you don't really care about clipless.
Old 12-20-05, 12:32 AM
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice is to get some decent straps the rest can be used if you want (silvans are a fine pedal for the money), but decent straps for sure. Cheap straps snap and then you are really hosed. Clipless is not ideal (dangerous) if you ride on the street. Search my previous posts on the topic for more opinionated comments regarding clipless.
Old 12-20-05, 12:41 AM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46x17
My advice is to get some decent straps the rest can be used if you want (silvans are a fine pedal for the money), but decent straps for sure. Cheap straps snap and then you are really hosed. Clipless is not ideal (dangerous) if you ride on the street. Search my previous posts on the topic for more opinionated comments regarding clipless.
I agree, however, if you want the versatility and qualities of clipless, then buy a set of Look pedals from E-bay (I copped a pair for $5.00!), and pony up an extra $10.00 bucks for a pair of Winwood Insteps - toeclip and strap adapter cleats, for real world applications.

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 12-20-05, 12:51 AM
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay x2's $20 off CL. I have not ridden fixed on the street yet...and when I do it will be in bike lanes with a brake, not alleycat style...
Old 12-20-05, 01:05 AM
pompous windbag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the MKS pedal/clip and leather strap set-up from IRO. They're a little rough to get into with New Balance 574's on, but other shoes with more "street oriented" soles are no problem at all. I've only had them for a little while, but so far, so good.

I also have a pair of Bontrager MTB pedals with their "composite" clips and nylon straps on my converted fixie. I would say they work fairly well. They are easy to get into, but your feet slip around while in the cages.
Old 12-20-05, 01:08 AM
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eggbeaters, eggbeaters, and rat traps
Of Proposition 187
Old 12-20-05, 02:33 AM
ass hatchet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rock these:

MKS GR-9 (check ebay). They're pretty comfy. I use MKS steel clips and leather straps. There's a world of difference between riding fixed sans foot attachment vs. with clips + straps. I'd go clipless but I ride mainly for work / errands / alcohol. Chuck Taylors are my preferred footwear.

My only problem is that a pedal strike snapped the flip-up tab off my left pedal (an odd set of circumstances caused this: hangover, large rock, hastily trying to get up into the cage at the wrong moment) and that kinda makes it hard to get into whilst drunk / tired / stressed. I imagine the MKS Sylvan pedals would just bend or scrape in a similar situation. These are molded aluminum, hence the crackin'.

They've got a real small width, good for cornering fixed on 170mm road cranks. Though the edges of my feet know *exactly* what it feels like to kiss the ground at 20 mph.
Old 12-20-05, 02:41 AM

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Sylvan tracks. They're quality pedals. I've decided against subjecting their more expensive offerings to street abuse.
Old 12-20-05, 03:11 AM
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I never really answered your question. I ride the MKS Sylvan Touring pedals, nice and wide to fit my food, plus the flipside is the the same, so it provides lovely support for tricks etc. Pedal strike is not an issue with them on the Mark V pro with 165 cranks, but I can see how you might like something a tad narrower if your bb is lower or your cranks longer. Running those with MKS LL clips and toshi single straps.
Old 12-20-05, 05:39 AM
i don't stop

Bikes: soma rush, giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm sporting some gipiemme sprint pedals with christophe clips and errbi
double straps. when i switched to double straps the feel was great. they
really hold your foot. i recommend double straps as opposed to clipless.
Old 12-20-05, 08:40 AM
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano 520's with MTB shoes. Lightish, comfortable, stiff enough, and I can walk on them all day long. Black with a hint of silver. I do not think that they get any better than that.
Old 12-20-05, 09:02 AM
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GR-9s, man. I have a set of MKS AR-8s (nothing special road pedals) and elder Shimano 105s and a few others that don't even get names. The others are fine pedals if you have a stiff soled shoe, but if you're going with clips so you can wear street shoes get a street shoe compatible pedal too. That's the GR-9.

There are a few online options in the $25-30 range and if you ask at your commuter-oriented LBS you might be surprised to find they stock them.

The bearings can feel a bit rough until they break in, it's all in the luck of the draw. There's some controversy over whether or not they're serviceable. Some say no, Sheldon says yes. I'm inclined to think you can pop the end caps off and take them apart and service them just like anything else.
Old 12-20-05, 09:16 AM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MKS ROYAL ****ING NUEVOS -- erection-causing loose bearing njs pedals
MKS RX-1 -- totally iced out cartridge bearing pedals. njs, naturally.
Old 12-20-05, 09:29 AM
nerd hyphy

Bikes: merckx/presto/gitane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
royal nuevos.
Old 12-20-05, 09:40 AM

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mks gr-9 w/ mks steel clips
Old 12-20-05, 10:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to put the Eggbeaters from my Mtn bike onto a road bike. Is this a no-no in the road biking world? I was also going to stick with a pair of Mtn shoes. I assume that would be a huge faux pas!!!
Old 12-20-05, 10:13 AM
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rock GR-9s and the Sylvans.
How big are your feet?
XL clips are pretty big.
I wear size 11-11.5 shoes and Large Clips are more than adaquate.
I'd worry a little bit about toe overlap with XL clips.
Old 12-20-05, 10:20 AM
Radio Bemba 00.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clipless. once you go there, it will all make sense to you. i use Time ATAC XS. I've never unclipped. Once, my crank arm came off the BB spindle but it was still attached to my shoe via cleat/pedal interface. I run these street and track. that's my word.
Old 12-20-05, 10:27 AM
Honking drivers see you

Bikes: Fuji Track, KHS Witch Doctor, Balance AL 750, Tank Mod Trials Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MKS Sylvan's, Soma clips, and EAI straps.
Old 12-20-05, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
From one cheapass to another: MKS Sylvans look great for the money, but I scored some used Wellgo track pedals off ebay for like $5, and they work fine. If I were buying new I'd get the MKS Sylvan which are about the same $ as the Wellgos.

For straps, cheap leather or vinyl straps may suck, but cheap woven MTB straps are damn near indestructible. Woven straps can be frayed halfway through, and still not break. they will not fail suddenly, so you've got plenty of warning if they need replacement, and they are cheap as hell. Reinforced leather straps may look better, but for my (relatively little) money woven straps are the way to go.

Oh, and I disagree that clippless are dangerous. Mine are as easy to get out of as they are to get into. Arguably easier to get out of than clips and straps. I'd ride them everyday except that I don't want to wear bike shoes every day, so I use SPD pedals for longer rides, and clips and straps for commuting. Swapping pedals is no big deal. It takes maybe 5 minutes.

Last edited by mattface; 12-20-05 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 11:19 AM
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and I disagree that clippless are dangerous. Mine are as easy to get out of as they are to get into. Arguably easier to get out of than clips and straps.
Exactly that is the problem!

You don't want easy out!
Easy out can really really suck, especially when it is unexpected!

Last edited by 46x17; 12-20-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts

You don't want easy out!
My Ritchey SPDs have never come off unexpectedly, so I don't consider it a problem, but they are the only clippless pedals I have experience with. Most clpless pedals do have a degree of adjustability, so if you came out unexpectedly, you might want to tighten them up a bit. I have broken a steel campy clip though. I don't get the impression that clipless fail more than clips and straps.
Old 12-20-05, 11:30 AM
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You don't want easy out!
Unless you're riding on ice or other conditions where you may need to quickly put a foot down.
Old 12-20-05, 11:40 AM
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattface
My Ritchey SPDs have never come off unexpectedly, so I don't consider it a problem, but they are the only clippless pedals I have experience with. Most clpless pedals do have a degree of adjustability, so if you came out unexpectedly, you might want to tighten them up a bit. I have broken a steel campy clip though. I don't get the impression that clipless fail more than clips and straps.
Even if the clip breaks you will be fine. The strap is what is crucial.
To some degree it varies on the riding style whether or not clipless work.
The bottom line is though that clipless are designed to release when a certain angle is reached -
Clips and straps aren't. Pick what feels safer.
I have seen devout advocates of clipless unclip and it was not funny.
All of them are clip and strap riders now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.