Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura-Ace shifters - junk?!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-21-05, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought a new pair of Dura-Ace 9 spd shifters a year ago Nov for my winter bike. I have put maybe 500 miles on the shifter and the have packed it in this weekend on a Sunday ride. They were installed by an authorized dealer, maintained by an authorized dealer and now they apparently are junk. The bike has never been dropped, crashed or abused. They have been on maybe 10-15 rides.
I bought these because my last Dura-Ace 9 spds wore out. Spent the extra $ to get the best Dura-Ace makes for the durability and reliability. My options are to change the entire set-up to Campy (that will be cheap), or buy new Dura-Ace again (would you?).
Warranty claims won't be an option as they are over a year old. I am stunned that having spent the kind of money I did to buy the best Dura-Ace makes and that these levers should be so unreliable.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to possible solutions without having to do a complete component change over. The cassette replacement is app. $200.00 but I really hesitate to spend the $ on something which might just a well do the same thing again in short order.
Thanks in advance for your suggstions.
Old 12-21-05, 03:53 PM
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What part of the shifter broke?
Old 12-21-05, 04:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want DURABILITY, buy Ultegra - NOT Dura-Ace. The Dura-Ace components are lightened to the max for weight weenies and suffer in the durability department because of this (this isn't my opinion - I'm quoting sydney).

Last edited by FarHorizon; 12-21-05 at 04:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-21-05, 04:10 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The warranty on Dura Ace is three years.
Old 12-21-05, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though there are dozens of parts in the interior of the shifter, apparently they are not servicable, you can however buy a new cassette to replace the lever and shifter module. In short somewhere in the bowels of the shifter.
Cheers!
Old 12-21-05, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Shimano STI serviceability, or lack there of, is the main downside to the parts. For that reason, Dura Ace is nice because of the three year warranty.

I had a RH STI shifter that broke just a few months short of the three year mark, shimano replaced it with a new one.
Old 12-21-05, 07:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a link to Shimano's warranty (3 years on Dura-Ace):

https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...y_details.html

Are you claiming that both shifters crapped out at the same time?
("The[y] have packed it in this weekend....and now they apparently are junk....these levers should be so unreliable").

What are the odds of that happening after "10-15" rides?

Something's not making sense here.

Bob
Old 12-21-05, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Bizarre... something's going on here that's out of the ordinary for sure. I've got DA shifters that's over 15-years old with 10-years of racing, over 400 races and 100K-miles on them.
Old 12-21-05, 11:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Danno

Unfortunatly, the high end componentes were manufactured 15 years ago is not the same as the same family componentes are manufacture today. 15 years ago were the last years bicycles were build to last at least a life time. Now-a-days, to compete according UCI rules cyclists need to replace components by heavier ones. 15 years ago a really light state of the art bicycle would weight between 8 and 9 kg and today bicycles weight go between 6 and 7 Kg, so...

Last edited by caotropheus; 12-22-05 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 12:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your input everyone - I think perhaps Shimano has lost a customer and Campy has gained one. The fact that such a unit costing a considerable sum is not "fixable" other than replacement is unacceptable in my opinion. Cheers!
Old 12-22-05, 12:42 AM
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
QBP (through your local shop) can rebuild that shifter for you. Its not that Shimano's are not servicable/rebuildable, its just that no one knows how to do it. I wouldn't be so rash to dump Shimano because of one incident... every company makes a bad part here and there... I had a Campy bike I sold because the shifting was such a nightmare that no one could figure out. I have a used Shimano Tiagra shifter with 1,000's upon 1,000's of miles, and quite a few crashes that still works flawlessly. Not saying Shimano is better, just that it works both ways.
Old 12-22-05, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caotropheus
Danno

Unfortunatly, the high end componentes were manufactured 15 years ago is not the same as the same family componentes are manufacture today. 15 years ago were the last years bicycles were build to last at least a life time. Now-a-days, to compete according UCI rules cyclists need to replace components by heavier ones. 15 years ago a really light state of the art bicycle would weight between 8 and 9 kg and today bicycles weight go between 6 and 7 Kg, so...
Hmm, the old stuff may be a bit more durable, but I don't think they could've shaved so much weight such that DA shifters would wear out within 1-year and 500 miles of hobbyist riding. That would mean TDF riders would wear out 4 sets of shifters!

FWIW, my old DA bike weighs 7.3kg with training wheels and 6.5kg with race wheels. I don't think you have to sacrifice too much durability for light weight...
Old 12-22-05, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the other responders, I have DuraAce levers that have 7500 miles on them without a problem. It's very unusual for these levers to fail so quickly. Keep in mind, you pay a premium for Campy's serviceability. I don't buy into the "Campy is better" argument. I think they are of the same quality.
Old 12-22-05, 07:28 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campy's warranty is no longer than Shimano's:

https://www.campagnolo.com/policy.php

Bob
Old 12-22-05, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by Canuckada
Thank you for your input everyone - I think perhaps Shimano has lost a customer and Campy has gained one. The fact that such a unit costing a considerable sum is not "fixable" other than replacement is unacceptable in my opinion. Cheers!
You're not paying attention to the information/questions provided. Two people said the warranty is THREE years. You haven't responded to that. Go tell your LBS and see what they say.

Also the question got asked about one or both shifters. Again, you didn't reply.

Then the description of your problem also is lacking - "somewhere in the bowels of the shifter"! What happened that caused you to take the bike in to begin with?
Old 12-22-05, 08:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you clarify re QBP's rebuild. Their web site does not seem to provide much detail other than history or dealer info. Have you or perhaps someone on know had experience with rebuilds from these folks? You are quite correct about the dealers I spoke to. They have all indicated that they do not know how nor do they wish to "explore" rebuilds themselves. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any input you might have. Cheers!
Old 12-22-05, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
The warranty covers Shimano either repairing or replacing the part. In the case of shifter, they will just send you ones.

Shimano shifter's can be rebuilt but it's a lot of work and takes a long time.

All you need to do is pack up the defective parts, send a copy of your original bill of sale from your supplier, and send them in. Shimano will send replacements.
Old 12-22-05, 08:46 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would the WD-40 in the shifter trick work with these too?
Old 12-22-05, 08:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd rather pay QBP to rebuild your shifter than have Shimano send you a new one free of charge? Suggestion: send it back, IT'S STILL UNDER WARRANTY!
Old 12-22-05, 10:31 AM
Somewhere in CA

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yeah..

This guy has made a total of 6 posts on this board all bashing shimano d/a shifters that are still under warranty and now wants to send them in for a rebuild.

Something is wrong with this picture.

-j
Old 12-22-05, 10:44 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJWheelBuilder
Like the other responders, I have DuraAce levers that have 7500 miles on them without a problem. It's very unusual for these levers to fail so quickly. Keep in mind, you pay a premium for Campy's serviceability. I don't buy into the "Campy is better" argument. I think they are of the same quality.
Quality wise Campy may not be better than Shimano. But it is much easier getting the replacement parts for Campy over Shimano. Why doesn't Shimano offer the same servicability as Campy? You can even change Campy Ergos from 9 to 10 speed, as well as being able to fix them. Shimano's disposable mentality.
Old 12-22-05, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canuckada
Whats the problem if there is a 3 year warr on your one year old DA?
Old 12-22-05, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently Canuckada doesn't know what the word "warranty" means.
Old 12-22-05, 11:36 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fawelsh
Apparently Canuckada doesn't know what the word "warranty" means.
If you read Canukada's original post, he stated the shifters were "installed" by an authorized dealer. He didn't say he bought them from an authorized dealer. Maybe he bought them off ebay and got bad stuff with no warranty?
Old 12-22-05, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about, and that inability to understand and communicate about the problem may be hindering him with the LBS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.