Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair Stand Carbon Frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Giant OCR Comp 3. I am looking for a repair stand. I don't want to have to remove my carbon seatpost and replace it with a metal one in order to use a clamp style repair stand.

I am considering the Part PRS-20--no clamping is necessary.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-05, 11:40 AM
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't have any personal experience with the PRS-20, but would ask you this: what's the concern about the seatpost swap? I do it all the time.
Old 12-26-05, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you have to remore the front wheel of the bicycle to use the stand you want? So what is better replace seat post or remove the front wheel and use a strap to sabilize the bicycle?
Old 12-26-05, 12:17 PM
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seatpost swap is probably the best way to go. If your worried about repositioning the seatpost, either measure, or mark it. I use painters masking tape which is very light on glue 3/4's around the post to mark it. Just simply pull it back off when post is replaced. I don't know what's cheaper, a generic metal seatpost, or the PRS 20 stand?
Old 12-26-05, 12:20 PM
ctp

Bikes: late 80s Paramount MTB with Xtracycle, late 80s Paramount MTB converted to single speed, Bianchi Nuovo Record converted to fixie, custom Tom Board lugged steel racer, 1950s Claude Butler, 1950s Dawes, custom chopper built on 50s cruiser by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a stand that I have to remove the front wheel to use. Guess what? I _never_ use it. I always go back to my Park, and change the seatpost if I have to. Once you have to do some work on the bike that requires that the front wheel be installed to do it, you will find much frustration. At least I sure did.
Old 12-26-05, 04:51 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't have a carbon frame or seatpost, but if I did... I'd keep an old Al seatpost for putting on the work stand. It's not that big of deal, I would think (position is so easily marked as mentioned above).
Old 12-26-05, 05:17 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I clamp carbon seat posts all the time. I use the adjustable Park clamp and I put a clean "blue towel) in the clamp to keep from scuffing the finish.
The Park spring clamp does not clamp so tight I would worry about a carbon post either.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 12-26-05, 05:37 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
On my homemade repair stand, I just wrap a towel around the post and don't torque the clamp very much. I also have an old innertube lining the inside of the clamp blocks.

If I don't really need to hold the bike that firmly, I'll just hang it by the saddle.

Old 12-26-05, 10:37 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion Team, Trek 6700 Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
I clamp carbon seat posts all the time. I use the adjustable Park clamp and I put a clean "blue towel) in the clamp to keep from scuffing the finish.
The Park spring clamp does not clamp so tight I would worry about a carbon post either.
Same. If a carbon post can hold my fat ass on a bike without breaking then why can't I clamp it?