Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Lactate Threshold

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Lactate Threshold

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force RS, Serotta "Atlanta", Gitane "Tour de France", (2) Specialized "Stumpjumper", Trek "950"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lactate Threshold

Hi,
I'm a long-time cyclist looking to develop a good training plan. My available time is increasingly limited these last couple of years (2 year old, baby due any minute). I'm waiting on the book "The Cyclist's Training Bible" to help me along.

I understand that it's vital to measure my lactate threshold & max HR to organize training. Toward this end I ran a TT test I found on the internet to measure LT. I added HR info based on estimations:
15min warm up (HR 120-130)
10min tempo (HR 140-150)
20min "full gass" (average over this period = LT)
15min cool down (HR 120-)

From this test, my LT is 173. I'm surprised its so high. I'm relatively unfit and it's quite different from my estimation (also found on internet): 147 = Max HR * 0.8 = (220 - 36) * 0.8. I haven't yet measured my max HR. I found a test to measure it via the internet: Max HR after 4-12min interval with an ending sprint. The 0.8 multiplication factor is based on an estimation of my current fitness level.

Is there another test/calculation I could use to help verify my measurements? Any idea what my real Max HR might be?

Thank you,
SEA
Old 12-27-05, 02:45 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
The test I do (from the cyclist's training bible) is to do a warm up then a thirty minute time trial (all out) ten minutes into the time trial you start recording your heart rate. The first ten minutes don't count but the effort still affects your average heart rate for the remaining 20 minutes.

In other words, it's easier to keep your heart rate up for just the 20 minutes than it is for the full 30 minutes.
Old 12-27-05, 03:02 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i did the exact same test as lowcel and came up with 165bpm last spring. for the most part it seemed pretty accurate, however i noticed for longer rides (3 - 4 hours or more) i couldn't sustain that without going anaerobic.
Old 12-27-05, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force RS, Serotta "Atlanta", Gitane "Tour de France", (2) Specialized "Stumpjumper", Trek "950"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LowCel
The test I do (from the cyclist's training bible) is to do a warm up then a thirty minute time trial (all out) ten minutes into the time trial you start recording your heart rate. The first ten minutes don't count but the effort still affects your average heart rate for the remaining 20 minutes.

In other words, it's easier to keep your heart rate up for just the 20 minutes than it is for the full 30 minutes.
Thank you. I must have found a flawed version of Friel's LT test. Yes, undoubtedly, this will result in a lower number which makes more intuitive sense to me. Also, I just noticed the "2x20 Anaerobic threshold test" stickie post (40min of TT) in this forum. I think this would bring it down even more.

Based on my test sensations, I'm thinking closer to 170. Ughh. I suffered. I'll have to get myself mentally prepard for another round.

What about Max HR? Does Friel have a test for it?

Thanks,
SEA
Old 12-27-05, 03:26 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by timmhaan
i did the exact same test as lowcel and came up with 165bpm last spring. for the most part it seemed pretty accurate, however i noticed for longer rides (3 - 4 hours or more) i couldn't sustain that without going anaerobic.
When I first started working with a cycling coach my LT was 161 bpm. That was in September. I tested again two weeks ago and I am up to 164! It's amazing what hard work can do for a person.
Old 12-28-05, 09:42 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LowCel
When I first started working with a cycling coach my LT was 161 bpm. That was in September. I tested again two weeks ago and I am up to 164! It's amazing what hard work can do for a person.
What sort of training are you doing? Are you using periodization? If so, in which phase did you see the increase in your LT? Have you've been doing pedaling drills?

Thanks for the help.
SEA
Old 12-28-05, 10:04 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

My coach basicly follows Friels methods. Right now I am between base 2 and base 3. My race season is still a ways off so he thinks that having some extra base won't hurt. I agree with him 100%.

I first did my test in September, right after I hired my coach. So far I have completed 6 weeks of preperation, four weeks of base 1, four weeks of base 2, ten days of extended base 2. I did my second test the forth week of base 2, at the end of my rest week.

I have been doing some pedaling drills. Primarily one legged drills and some spinups.

The only downside so far is that I have gained about 6 or 7 pounds. I blame this primarily on the holidays and the fact that I am not spending more than six or seven hours a week on the bike right now.