Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training for RAIN (165 mi in one day)

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 08:01 PM
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just started riding last April. I'm hooked and LOVE it. I rode my first century in June last year. This year I'm contemplating riding RAIN (Ride Across INdiana), which is 165 miles in a single day.

So, here are the questions:
1. The century was a serious challenge, and I'm not sure I'll be up to 165 mi in a day. I'm about 30 pounds lighter, which is good, but my average speed is still only 14-15 mph. Am I crazy for thinking this is within reach?

2. If I do take the plunge, what sort of mileposts should I set for myself? The ride is in July. Is it fair to say that I'm doing a century with less stress by May or June, I'll be in good shape?

3. Do I need to do rides in the 125-150 mi range before this ride, or if I'm doing 75-100 mi range rides leading up to the 165 miler, will I be OK?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-08-06, 07:51 AM
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the Long Distance Cyclists Handbook it has a nice double century training plan you can use. Granted that your is 165 but Im sure you can modify it or just cut it off at the point where you are doing 165 on a weekend which I think is like 13 weeks in. Solo 100 mile plus rides are actually pretty fun and are something you will definitley have to do to get ready. That for me was a big confidence booster knowing that I could ride 100 to 175 miles on my own self supported on a Saturday after a week of training. My logic was that when the ride came I would be tapered off all week, carbo loaded, rested, and have the mental boost of having it be event day; plus I wouldn't have to carry my own food. Good Luck!
Old 01-08-06, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
when making the jump from 100 miles to 150+ learning to spin the pedals is a must.

Spinning instead of mashing will help save your legs over a long haul.. The lear from doing a 100 miles to 165 is a big jump but you have plenty of time to get ready..

Your average speed is fine. Staying hydrated in July and making sure to eat enough at the rest stops will make the ride more enjoyable..

If you have a favorite energy drink see if they sell it in individual packets so you can bring them along for the ride.. There is nothing worse than having to try something new and then realizing that it upsets your stomach.

I know that powerbar endurance and e-caps hammer heed come in individual bags that are easy to carry along.. I'm sure some of the other manufacturers have them too..
Old 01-14-06, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not alone. Started in June of 2005. We plan on doing th Ohio MS150 the weekend before as our last hammerfest and then take the rest of the week easy. Have you looked at the times the BEST riders had last year? They did it in under 7 hours! Heck, my first century was 6:30:36 but that wasn't including all the rest stops! Where are you located?
Old 01-14-06, 12:42 PM
Mettle to the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeniCincinnati
You're not alone. Started in June of 2005. We plan on doing th Ohio MS150 the weekend before as our last hammerfest and then take the rest of the week easy. Have you looked at the times the BEST riders had last year? They did it in under 7 hours! Heck, my first century was 6:30:36 but that wasn't including all the rest stops! Where are you located?
Lots of folks do this race pretty quickly. I'm just praying to make it at all...who cares how fast!

I'm just west of Indianapolis.
Old 01-18-06, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completing RAIN is no problem as long as you do a bunch of high mileage. The question is do you just want to complete it or do you want to get it over as fast as possible? There will be a fast group right off the front and if you are strong enough you can just sit in. I spun at about 24-25 mph behind this huge wall of riders for about the first 100 miles. You aren't supposed to but these people will have water and food handed to them by moving vehicles along the way. It's a hoot to witness. The group gets smaller as the miles tick on. The year I did it I lost contact with the lead group, which numbered less than 10, with with 40 miles to go. I still managed to limp in with a time of 7.5 hours. You don't stop to eat, drink or pee lest you lose contact with the group. In the beginning if you can't stay with the lead group there will be other packs to jump in with along the way. It is so much more fun riding with a big pack than slugging it out alone. Some people stop several times, stretch and eat etc. but there is no way I would ever dink around like that and spend 12 hours out there.
Old 01-18-06, 05:15 PM
Mettle to the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by park
Completing RAIN is no problem as long as you do a bunch of high mileage. The question is do you just want to complete it or do you want to get it over as fast as possible? There will be a fast group right off the front and if you are strong enough you can just sit in. I spun at about 24-25 mph behind this huge wall of riders for about the first 100 miles. You aren't supposed to but these people will have water and food handed to them by moving vehicles along the way. It's a hoot to witness. The group gets smaller as the miles tick on. The year I did it I lost contact with the lead group, which numbered less than 10, with with 40 miles to go. I still managed to limp in with a time of 7.5 hours. You don't stop to eat, drink or pee lest you lose contact with the group. In the beginning if you can't stay with the lead group there will be other packs to jump in with along the way. It is so much more fun riding with a big pack than slugging it out alone. Some people stop several times, stretch and eat etc. but there is no way I would ever dink around like that and spend 12 hours out there.

I'm pretty slow, so my goal is just to finish. It took me over 7 hours to do my century last year, so I'll be happy with getting it in before sundown! Are you riding it this year?
Old 01-18-06, 05:16 PM
Mettle to the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbeatonNJ
Get the Long Distance Cyclists Handbook it has a nice double century training plan you can use. Granted that your is 165 but Im sure you can modify it or just cut it off at the point where you are doing 165 on a weekend which I think is like 13 weeks in. Solo 100 mile plus rides are actually pretty fun and are something you will definitley have to do to get ready. That for me was a big confidence booster knowing that I could ride 100 to 175 miles on my own self supported on a Saturday after a week of training. My logic was that when the ride came I would be tapered off all week, carbo loaded, rested, and have the mental boost of having it be event day; plus I wouldn't have to carry my own food. Good Luck!
Great suggestion. I bought it on amazon and read it on a flight a few days ago. Thanks for the recommendation!