Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

rollers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rollers anyone?

i've been looking at rollers and i just can't figure them out. Do you have to balance on top of them while your riding, is that dificult? How do they work, and are there any advantages/disadvantages to them when compared to magnetic, fluid, and wind trainers?
Old 10-23-02, 05:49 PM
The Female Enduro

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Search the forums for this. There are many discussions on this subject.

In short: Yes, you ride on top of them while they're rolling. Yes, it can be difficult, especially at first. The three rollers roll as you ride on top of them (spinning at the same speed as your wheels), sort of simulating the road turning by underneath you. Advantages: good to develop a smooth spin, good to develop a sense of balance. Disadvantages: require more concentration than trainers, offer little resistance compared to trainers.
Old 10-23-02, 06:44 PM
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by velo
Search the forums for this. There are many discussions on this subject.

Disadvantages: require more concentration than trainers, offer little resistance compared to trainers.
I agree with Velo on almost all points except that you can get a resistance unit to attach to rollers making them easily as hard as a trainer to push gears in. I recommend the Kreitler Killer Headwind Fan. It will work you silly.

I also like the idea of having to concentrate on the trainer and would classify it as an advantage and not a disadvantage. It keeps the indoor riding fun because you do have to continue to think just like outside. You will likely get bored on a trainer much sooner than you will on a set of rollers.
Old 10-24-02, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacx make a stabilizer for a couple of their roller systems. The Eco is one ,not sure of the name of the other model, that attaches to the roller frame thus allowing those of a nervous disposition to be clamped at the front by the Q/R.

I think the idea is to elimanate the fear of balancing , with rear wheel on the twin rollers and the front wheel stabilized until confidence grows sufficiantly to go solo on all 3 rollers
Old 10-24-02, 10:59 AM
Bring It!

Bikes: Torelli - Trek 520 - GT - and some old Schwinn Thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When just starting out on rollers, my advice is, find a large space clear of anything within falling distance and wear a helmet. My fall onto the coffee table on my first attempt taught me real fast!

But yes, they do help with balance, and smooth, round pedal strokes.
Old 10-24-02, 12:10 PM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you ride rollers and shave your legs, other cyclists will think you are a racer. Ride rollers and don't shave your legs, other cyclists will think you used to be a racer! It will definitely smooth out your pedal stroke.

I had my roller set up next to a counter so that I could steady myself with one hand until I got the hang of it. I would lift up my hand slightly from the counter top and put it back down if I felt that I was losing control. Each time I was able to keep my hand off the counter a bit longer than before. Pretty soon I was able to move my hand onto the bars and stay on the rollers. It shouldn't take much more than a couple of days to get the hang of it.
Old 10-24-02, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the rollers. I used to start out in doorway in my old apartment. Now I have stanchion in the middle of my garage that I use to start. It's really easy after you are used to them but one mental lapse and you're lying on the floor. My first attempt felt like riding on ice, but after a few minutes it was no problem. You only have about 9" to the left or right to play with. I sometimes ride the rollers for 30 minutes or so to warm up when it's freezing outside. Rollers are also nice and quiet, just a low hum. You can use the sound to smooth out your pedal stroke. When you have no pulsing in the hum you're pedaling smoothly. You can also spin at wicked speeds (60 miles per hour).
Old 10-25-02, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"On the other side of the coin," rollers are better for your bike than a stationary unit. Why you ask ... Rollers simulate the road and the handlebars/headset bearings will move slightly upon each pedal stroke. On a stationary unit, the headset does not move and upon a single season on a stationary trainer, the bearings can indent the inner races of the headset so it will not turn freely when you return to the road. In fact, many of the mechanics in the other forums recommend replacing the headsets every season if you use a stationary trainer.

Just some food for thought.