Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

crankset hjelp

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

crankset hjelp

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 06:27 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe I need a new crankset but I don't know how to find out of a crankset is compatible with my bike. My bike is a trek 930 and it has shimano stx cranks on it.

Im wondering if this crankset would fit on my bike

https://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

My other question is, why is that xt crank 99 dollars and the other ones they are selling are 250?
Whats the difference between all the different xt cranks, and how do i find out what crank will fit on my bike?

does the one thats 99 not include the other crank arm or something? will i need to buy a compatible bottom bracket?
Old 01-10-06, 06:28 PM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
Hey I have the same size as that crank on my bike
Old 01-10-06, 06:30 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also which bottom bracket would go with my crankset?

https://wheelworld.com/site/showitem....ory&Catalog=39
Old 01-10-06, 10:24 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im surprised the ****** who makes a topic about pineapples gets more replies than this topic which actually is about a valid thing to do with mtbing.
Old 01-10-06, 10:27 PM
djentleman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
Haha yeah really
Old 01-10-06, 11:13 PM
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Im correct(not often) then stx is old time shimano long gone and has a taper fit or square bottom bracket to crank fit. In which case no that xt wont fit as it has an octalink type crankarm fit. Get someone whos knows to confirm the type of BB you have and if it is square you could cruise ebay for square or taper fit crankarms. Or try pricepoint.

Yeah, pineapples belongs in Foo.

Ebay

Last edited by harov3; 01-10-06 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 11:22 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
I believe I need a new crankset but I don't know how to find out of a crankset is compatible with my bike. My bike is a trek 930 and it has shimano stx cranks on it.

Im wondering if this crankset would fit on my bike

https://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price
It will fit, just not on your BB
My other question is, why is that xt crank 99 dollars and the other ones they are selling are 250?
Because thats a 752 and they're in the 760 series now
Whats the difference between all the different xt cranks, and how do i find out what crank will fit on my bike?
New model more refined design etc etc
does the one thats 99 not include the other crank arm or something? will i need to buy a compatible bottom bracket?
It says "cranks" not "crank" so one could safely say they mean both arms
Old 01-10-06, 11:58 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RAIYN THANK YOU, you are the single most valuable information source on this site.

also, will any of the xt bbs work with that crank? or is there a specific one, if so link me to which one.
Old 01-11-06, 12:00 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
RAIYN THANK YOU, you are the single most valuable information source on this site.

also, will any of the xt bbs work with that crank? or is there a specific one, if so link me to which one.
I don't know your BB shell size. It's either a 68 or a 72.
Old 01-11-06, 12:03 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do I figure it out? is there a way to see what size a trek 930 shell size is online?
Old 01-11-06, 12:07 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
how do I figure it out? is there a way to see what size a trek 930 shell size is online?
It's likely a 68, but aside from contacting Trek (or getting lucky here) your best bet is to see what your current one is when you yank it. Don't just take my guess for a fact on this one
Old 01-11-06, 12:09 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
It's likely a 68, but aside from contacting Trek (or getting lucky here) your best bet is to see what your current one is when you yank it. Don't just take my guess for a fact on this one
Ok, so basically I need to pull my crank. Problem is I don't know how to use my crank puller. But, you've been an amazing help raiyn.

also, they have 68x107,110,113... so on.. my bb will say exactly what dimensions I assume?
Old 01-11-06, 12:14 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, so basically I need to pull my crank. Problem is I don't know how to use my crank puller. But, you've been an amazing help raiyn.
You have to do more than that, you have to pull out the BB as well.
Crank removal
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103
Bottom bracket removal
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94

also, they have 68x107,110,113... so on.. my bb will say exactly what dimensions I assume
You can't go by the old one for the axle length (113,118 etc) your NEW cranks will dictate that and I don't have a Shimano manual sitting in front of me.
Old 01-11-06, 12:17 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't go by the old one for the axle length (113,118 etc) your NEW cranks will dictate that and I don't have a Shimano manual sitting in front of me.

Im confused what do you mean?

edit: nvm I see what your saying my bike dictates the first number the second one depends on the crank I buy
Old 01-11-06, 12:19 AM

Bikes: Stumpjumper FSR 30th Anniversary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

also, they have 68x107,110,113... so on.. my bb will say exactly what dimensions I assume?
Crank puller - remove the crank bolt, thread the outer part of the crank puller into the crank arm (probably be able to do this without a wrench), and turn the handle part of the crank puller until you feel the crank puller post contact the bottom bracket spindle. Resistance at first will likely be pretty high, but turn the handle until you unseat the crank arm. A couple of turns past that, the crankarm should come right off. Then just unthread the puller from the crankarm and you're done.

Cranks and bottom brackets are fun - enjoy!!

Then you need to get the bottom bracket out - start on the non-drive side and then the drive side. After you get it out, you should see the size in the middle of the bb.

Last edited by mtb-chop; 01-11-06 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 12:21 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you were me raiyn, would you just go and replace the crank and the bb. I still don't even know what is screwed up, I just know that my crank doesn't turn.
Let's see, spend $150 on a new crankset and BB or spend $15 to replace the current one? I'd rather spend the $15 and get the thing back up and running so I can save $$$ for the next bike.
Besides that it's damn hard for me to accurately diagnose a bike over the internet. Take it to the shop and see what they say. If the cranks are f'd then upgrade if you want, but if they're still good to go then ride them into the ground
Old 01-11-06, 12:24 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thx for the advice raiyn. Im going to bring to the shop, if the crank is screwed ill get the xt setup. My last question is how do I figure out what size im going to need to get for the xt crank? (i mean for the second number)

The only reason Im thinking about getting the xt crank even if my crank aint screwed up is its a great price for an xt crank. My crank as it is has tons of teeth that are bent and starting to come off.
Old 01-11-06, 12:36 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, thx for the advice raiyn. Im going to bring to the shop, if the crank is screwed ill get the xt setup. My last question is how do I figure out what size im going to need to get for the xt crank? (i mean for the second number)
It's either going to be the 113 or the 118. Seeing as this is a steel bike with narrower tubing I'm going to make an educated guess and say the 113
The only reason Im thinking about getting the xt crank even if my crank aint screwed up is its a great price for an xt crank. My crank as it is has tons of teeth that are bent and starting to come off.
You do know that you can replace chain rings too right? You don't have to replace the whole bloody thing.
Old 01-11-06, 12:39 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I know, but I mean better crank I can use when I DO get a new bike. If I got a new bike I would have to get a different size bb assuming I do get this xt crank though right?
Old 01-11-06, 12:47 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yea I know, but I mean better crank I can use when I DO get a new bike. If I got a new bike I would have to get a different size bb assuming I do get this xt crank though right?
Possible. You may need to get the 118, but that depends on the bike in question. Basically what you're doing is trying to make the chainline as close to perfect as possible. Now the 118 is only 2.5mm wider per side, but that can make a difference when adjusting and using certain gear combos, not to mention drivetrain life. Nine speed systems are a lot more finicky than your current 7 or 8 speed system when it comes to such things.
Old 01-11-06, 03:58 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I went to the bike shop and the bb is completely bent in one direction. The guy said all I need to replace is the bb but I asked if he would suggest me just getting a new crank (my old one is in crap shape anyways). So Ive ordered the xt and the bb for it.

My last question is all the cranks have sizes 160mm, 170mm, 175mm, 180mm
what is that a measurement of? the crank arm length or what? the crank im buying only comes in 175mm does this measurement matter compatibility-wise? or is it just a preference when it comes to the bike.
Old 01-11-06, 07:54 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I went to the bike shop and the bb is completely bent in one direction. The guy said all I need to replace is the bb
Which is what I told you.
My last question is all the cranks have sizes 160mm, 170mm, 175mm, 180mm
what is that a measurement of? the crank arm length or what? the crank im buying only comes in 175mm does this measurement matter compatibility-wise? or is it just a preference when it comes to the bike.
Everything you ever wanted to know about cranks, but were afraid to ask
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html
Old 01-11-06, 08:24 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do I see what size my old stx crank was?
Old 01-12-06, 01:57 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
how do I see what size my old stx crank was?
Should be stamped on the inside of the arm
Old 01-12-06, 01:58 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Should be stamped on the inside of the arm
yep, turns out I ordered the same size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.