Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to and should I adjust my saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back to cycling after a 10 years break. I'm 30.

Bought a specialized tricross with the OEM saddle.

The saddle and the rest of the bike was adjusted by my LBS with measurements.

I'm not comfortable on it. It hurt after 30 minutes on the trainer the first day. And hurts after 45 minutes on the trainer 3 days after that. It hurts less if I let go of the handlebar and sit straight.

Should I tilt the saddle forward or keep getting used to it parallel to the floor?
Old 01-11-06, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
While your overall saddle might appear level with the floor, sight it from the side. Imagine a line from just the flat part of the saddle (nose to about 2/3s back where the back starts to turn up). I find the comfortable position for me is when that is parallel with the floor.

The other thing is experiement and make adjustments. The more you spend on the bike, the more you'll find out what works for you.
Old 01-11-06, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is usually trial and error for me. I put it on in a position that I think may be comfortable (using my old saddle for reference) then go out and ride. Then stop, tweek it, ride, tweek it, ride tweek it until it is in the best position for me.
Old 01-11-06, 09:48 AM
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden consistently for the better part of 13 years now, and I'm still adjusting bikes that I've had for 3-7 years. You may need a different fit, a different saddle or both. I will say that riding on a trainer is a great way to find all of the negatives and none of the positives of a bike's fit, especially after several years off.
Old 01-11-06, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImprezaDrvr
You may need a different fit, a different saddle or both. I will say that riding on a trainer is a great way to find all of the negatives and none of the positives of a bike's fit, especially after several years off.
10 years ago I had a 400$ bike with stock saddle and don't remember discomfort on my usual 50km rides. It was hard on the 160km ride I did once.

But that was then and this is now. I used to weight 140lbs, now it's 175lbs.

I'll give my saddle another week in the current possition and then I'll start playing with it. If after that it's still too bad I'll look into trying another saddle.
Old 01-11-06, 10:01 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Do you stand on the trainer? 45 minutes in the saddle on the trainer, particularly if you haven't been riding a lot is likely to cause discomfort no matter how well adjusted the saddle is. In addition to experimenting with your saddle position, Try to stand every 10-15 minutes on the trainer. On the road most people just naturally do this, so time on the road usuallly is not as hard on the rear as time on the triner.
Old 01-11-06, 10:02 AM
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you need to toughen up the skin down there, after your 10 year break. If you've broken the skin, let it rest. Otherwise, just go through the pain.