Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help For Newbie Please...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm a sixteen year old male from Iowa. I have done road biking for a long time, but consider myself to be a little more daring, a little more intense, and I want to try this whole Mountain Biking thing out. I only have a part time job and what I could scrounge from my rents' and since its my hobby, its at my own expense, or so say my parents. I was just wondering what I would need EQ wise and where to ride and where not to ride, I'd rather hear from all of you than just a Mountain Biking manual. I have a bike already, my parents bought me a mountain bike...Trek. Either way, I'm just a newbie looking for help, thanks!

Nik
Old 01-15-06, 03:17 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere. What exactly do you want to know? If you're just getting started, find a group or club in your area, and just go ride with them. Your LBS may even do some organized rides. Find some trails and have fun.
Old 01-15-06, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
put alot of time in on the trails. have some fun, its a great sport.
Old 01-16-06, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Iowa too. What part of the state do you live in? There are lots of good trails here, sometimes they just take some looking to find. There are some great trails if you live in the Des Moines area(like me). Equipment wise you should be able to get away with just about any entry level mountain bike from the major companies. We mostly just have cross country riding around here, so you won't be doing anything too extreme to your bike(yet). Talk to your local bike shop(LBS) they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also see the website Bike Iowa for groups and rides. MTBR is a good source for trails in your area: MTBR Iowa. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-16-06, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Triple, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Trek 830 Mountain Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Originally Posted by nikskin
Hey all, I'm a sixteen year old male from Iowa. I have done road biking for a long time, but consider myself to be a little more daring, a little more intense, and I want to try this whole Mountain Biking thing out. I only have a part time job and what I could scrounge from my rents' and since its my hobby, its at my own expense, or so say my parents. I was just wondering what I would need EQ wise and where to ride and where not to ride, I'd rather hear from all of you than just a Mountain Biking manual. I have a bike already, my parents bought me a mountain bike...Trek. Either way, I'm just a newbie looking for help, thanks!
I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere. What exactly do you want to know? If you're just getting started, find a group or club in your area, and just go ride with them. Your LBS may even do some organized rides. Find some trails and have fun.
He did ask a question... What kind of equipment does he need, where to ride and where not to ride?

I think at a minimum you need a helmet, gloves, and something to carry water in. I assume you already own these since you road bike. You might consider full-fingered gloves if you don't have them. It seems to me that falls and crashes happen more often during mountain biking. Also, you should think about riding with mountain biking shoes. These will have more of a tread on the bottom for traction should have to get off and push the bike up steep sections or even pick up the bike and carry it (say, through water). I can also recommend using a backpack-style hydration system like Camelbak or Platypus make. Taking your hands off the handlebars off-road is a much bigger deal than on the road. It's helpful if it's easier to get water and you'll stay hydrated.

There's other optional equipment like eye-protection (keeps grit, bugs and other debris) out of your eyes, as well as padding or things like shin-guards or arm-guards. Truthfully, though, I never see guys on the trail wearing stuff like that. Myself, I wear a jersey that goes down over my elbows for "protection." As if.

I can't tell you where to ride or not except in generalities. Read the signs. If it says not to ride there (ie. "No Trespassing") then you should probably not ride there unless you can accept the consequences. Otherwise, check in with your LBS or other riding clubs.

Other than that, get out and ride as hard as you can. Hope that helps.