Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Specialized Sirrus A1 (2003) -

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi to anyone out there with a Specialized Sirrus A1. I'm thinking of purchasing a Specialized Sirrus A1 road bike and I was wondering if anyone out there who has the bike can provide any pros/cons about the the Sirrus A1.
Old 10-28-02, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing the same since I have been looking at a Sirrus for my wife. I think for her it's come down to deciding between a Sirrus and a Trek 7500FX. I have not seen a Sirrus yet but I have seen the Trek and it seems to be a pretty nice bike. Having a hard time finding a Sirrus even to look at. One shop said they would call about one for us but that was 3 weeks ago and still have not heard from them. Might come down to availability at this point.
Old 10-28-02, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi David,

Yeah I think avaliability might be an issue. I know in Western Australia, where I live, there doesn't seem to be any bike stores that stock the 2003 model of the Sirrus. I've been told to expect some in late November.

- Marky
Old 10-29-02, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the 2003 Sirrus's are out yet. I had a 2001 I just traded on a new mountain bike because I bought a Lemond Zurich.

The reason I changed is because I wound up riding in a group with all road bikes and really couldn't keep up on the Sirrus. They are not as aerodynamic and a bit heavier than a traditional road bike.

If your looking for fitness riding then they are great, however if your looking to progress in your riding you'll probably do the same thing I did and sell it, after you buy a real road bike. Even though the Sirrus is classified as a road bike it really is more of a hybrid and the 7500fx is all hybrid.

If your looking at Specialized look at the Sequoia.
Old 11-03-02, 08:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2001 Sirus Sport I bought it last in April 2002 for a fair price ! I have rode about 2000 km on it since April including 1 Imperial century and 1 metric ! It was my first summer of serious riding and I can't wait for spring ! I put Profile Century bars on my Sirrus because it was the cheaapest option for another riding position, and a good way to get out of the wind ! I strongly recomend the Sirrus models, but i am looking to get an Allez next spring for the same reason as mentioned already. Weight, speed, etc ! But from a MTB it is a huge boost to ride !
Old 11-03-02, 08:39 PM
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the MTB riding position is going to kill you, if you do more than 20 miles on it in a day. Every time I came home after a ride, my palms, wrist, and back would be killing me.
Old 11-04-02, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the one thing I read over and over about the Sirrus and Trek 7700fx, etc etc is I put aero bars on it or bar ends for another riding position. I did the same thing to mine and I had people telling me before I bought it that is the reason for a drop bar road bike is the positons for your hands.

I believe them now that I have a road bike. The Sirrus is a great bike but if you want to ride a lot and for long distance's get a regular road bike. That is what they are made for.