Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Walking more dangerous than cycling

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Walking more dangerous than cycling

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 08:04 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"Pedalcyclists accounted for 13 percent of all nonmotorist traffic
fatalities in 2004. Pedestrians accounted for 84 percent, and the remaining
2 percent were skateboard riders, roller skaters, etc."

https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...004/809912.pdf
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-20-06, 08:25 PM
nub

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need a comprehensive training program warning pedestrians of the dangers of sidewalk strolling.
Old 01-20-06, 08:33 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad M
We need a comprehensive training program warning pedestrians of the dangers of sidewalk strolling.
They should walk in the road, vehicularly of course! How about mandatory helmet laws for peds?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-20-06, 08:43 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
They should walk in the road, vehicularly of course! How about mandatory helmet laws for peds?
You might be on to something Chip, Call it " vehicular walking" or VW for short. You can write a book and charge people $175 a head for a seminar that tells you how to walk down the road.
Old 01-20-06, 08:48 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Not only that, but mandatory helmets are obviously called for by the data. I am sure a close analysis will indicate that ALL the pedestrian casualties were knuckleheaded, Darwin candidates that shunned wearing a helmet despite their power to save lives. No strolling pedestrian wearing a helmet will be found among the stats on accident victims. Hence, PROOF, helmets are the answer to the dangers of sidewalk strolling.
Old 01-20-06, 08:48 PM
Old Noob

Location: Mid-MN not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

Bikes: Downtube VIIIFS folder, 2 Strida 3 folders, HP Velotechnik "Grasshopper" and a Burley "Hep Cat"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the rule of tonnage and the law of the jungle always supercede *my rights*. The strongest (and heaviest) survive. I try never to assume that someone else, especially if they are bigger, (car vs ped or bike, etc) gives a hoot about my rights unless they are showing very obvious signs of allowing me my right of way.

On the roadway, I never try to exert a right that is likely to get me killed.
Old 01-20-06, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the government report. While it gave a rate of 134 injuries per million cyclists for my age group it did not give similar stats for any age for pedestrians. So a good comparison can not be made. It did appear that Florida was the most dangerous place to ride and Rhode Island was the safest. Also it seems that male pedalcyclists are twice as likely, given the same number of participants, to get killed as women.
Old 01-20-06, 09:23 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
I looked at the government report. While it gave a rate of 134 injuries per million cyclists for my age group it did not give similar stats for any age for pedestrians. So a good comparison can not be made. It did appear that Florida was the most dangerous place to ride and Rhode Island was the safest. Also it seems that male pedalcyclists are twice as likely, given the same number of participants, to get killed as women.
I wasn't keen on the term 'pedalcyclist' - makes me feel like a foot doctor.
Old 01-20-06, 10:32 PM
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to go one step further and advocate the elimination of sidewalks from our cities. Only through Vehicular Walking training and the proper use of DPLP (Dynamic Pedestrian Lane Positioning) will walking be safer for everyone, including children and seniors. No need to inform motorists though, as they'll understand completely when confronted with the steely-eyed stare of alpha dog pedestrians, side-stepping though traffic at 25mph.
Old 01-20-06, 10:41 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was going to go one step further and advocate the elimination of sidewalks from our cities. Only through Vehicular Walking training and the proper use of DPLP (Dynamic Pedestrian Lane Positioning) will walking be safer for everyone, including children and seniors. No need to inform motorists though, as they'll understand completely when confronted with the steely-eyed stare of alpha dog pedestrians, side-stepping though traffic at 25mph.
Of course - it's well known that sidewalks give the impression that pedestrians are sub-class citizens, it's segregation I tell you, it should be illegal! Get off the sidewalk Granny! Put on your helmet, get out there on the roadways and assert your rights!
Old 01-20-06, 10:58 PM
Gatoraid powered engine

Bikes: A mixed-breed beater util/commute rigid hybrid I frankensteined out of assorted resqued components, called "Streetdancer". Ugly as sin, yet beautiful in function.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread gives a whole new spin to "power walking".

When on the road, peds should equip with mirrors, reflectors, flashlights and blinkies.
Old 01-20-06, 11:33 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 2wheeledsoul
This thread gives a whole new spin to "power walking".
Yeah, that's the ticket for Real Walking. Speed and Efficiency über alles.

Don't forget : Pain IS Gain
Old 01-21-06, 12:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tons of close encounters with cars whne wqlkin drivers do not give the rightaway turn without looking and so on. my blind wife have a hell of a time.
Old 01-21-06, 02:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a normal drive into work at 11pm I won't see anybody walking. Tonight, after 7 inches of snow, and still snowing, I encountered FOUR people walking in the road. What the **** ??? I didn't see any stuck cars, nobody out of gas. 11pm on a snowy night is a good time to go out for a stroll ???

jw
Old 01-21-06, 06:52 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I confess that a couple of times when I was walking on a crowded sidewalk, I caught myself looking for my mirror.
Old 01-21-06, 08:39 AM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
I confess that a couple of times when I was walking on a crowded sidewalk, I caught myself looking for my mirror.
I do that all the time. That and the quick shoulder check when changing lanes on the sidewalk.
Old 01-21-06, 09:56 AM
Gatoraid powered engine

Bikes: A mixed-breed beater util/commute rigid hybrid I frankensteined out of assorted resqued components, called "Streetdancer". Ugly as sin, yet beautiful in function.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
I have tons of close encounters with cars whne wqlkin drivers do not give the rightaway turn without looking and so on. my blind wife have a hell of a time.
There's an elderly lady I see along one leg of my commute route, that walks with a sawed off broom handle in her hand. I'm guessing she gives cars getting too close a whack with it.
Old 01-21-06, 09:59 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 2wheeledsoul
There's an elderly lady I see along one leg of my commute route, that walks with a sawed off broom handle in her hand. I'm guessing she gives cars getting too close a whack with it.
Don't cycle too close either or you might be doing a cartwheel with that broom handle in your front spokes (or worse).
Old 01-21-06, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
"Pedalcyclists accounted for 13 percent of all nonmotorist traffic
fatalities in 2004. Pedestrians accounted for 84 percent, and the remaining
2 percent were skateboard riders, roller skaters, etc."

https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...004/809912.pdf
According to our provincial insurer (ICBC), commuter cyclists make up 2% of traffic volume (and according to the National Bicycle dealers Association, commuter cyclists make up only 5% of the cycling population), but all cyclists are involved in only 1% of traffic collisions.

Each year about twice the number of pedestrians are hit by cars than cyclists hit by cars, but the mortality rate of pedestrians hit by cars is more than 10 times greater than cyclists hit by cars.

Last edited by closetbiker; 01-21-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-21-06, 11:10 AM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost as bad as the pedestrians who die are the ones who survive. It's too bad the only automobile safety that is ever considered is to those on the inside.
Old 01-21-06, 11:45 AM
Gatoraid powered engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
It's too bad the only automobile safety that is ever considered is to those on the inside.
Too right.
I saw a car commercial featuring a car that had 'pedestrian protective panels'. I had to think, "Is that feature to protect the ped from the car, or more likely, the car from the ped?"
Old 01-21-06, 12:49 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm wondering why everyody finds it so hilarious that thousands of pedestrians are killed every year. I guess it's especially funny that a lot of these people are kids and the elderly.

I walk sometimes, and I've always thought it's more dangerous than riding. The biggest problem is cagers making turns (right or left) while a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. Another big danger is motorists backing out of driveways and parking spaces. Even if the only walking you do is in the parking lot at Walmart's, this last issue should be of personal concern.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-21-06, 01:13 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Roody
I'm wondering why everyody finds it so hilarious that thousands of pedestrians are killed every year.
Perhaps if you weren't proud of ignoring what you don't like to read you would know the context; until then keep wondering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3 monkeys.jpg (60.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-21-06, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm wondering why everyody finds it so hilarious that thousands of pedestrians are killed every year. I guess it's especially funny that a lot of these people are kids and the elderly.
I don't think that's the case, but I do find it odd that people often can't see the obvious displyed right in front of them, instead, they point to something that's different and become afraid of that.
Old 01-21-06, 03:17 PM
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mother thinks bicycling and motorcycling are extremely dangerous, especially in an urban environment. She drives her car to work and for shopping purposes and does a lot of walking in a downtown area. She rarely would look across the street when crossing, often jumps off the curb without even noticing if she has the signal in her favor, and doesn't think twice about pedestrian safety...until I started pointing out how dangerous her behavior was, in which case she started paying more attention for a few hours. Now she is back to the same behavior of not paying attention and expecting automobile drives to stop for her - it's a miracle she hasn't been in an accident herself in her 60 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.