Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Century ride certified in March.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys. I have a little problem you may be able to resolve. I need to participate in a 100 mile ride in March this year. It needs to be official with some time certification. The bike club in my town will not get busy until May.
The closest thing I could find on Internet is in Ohio on April 6. That is 14 hours round trip by car. I am also not sure if they do time certification.
There is this tour I go on April 20. This is one of the requirements.
I tried to get answers from BF Training and Nutrition and Track cycling. Nothing definitive.
Of course I can tell my problems to the tour leader, but I rather find a solution.
Any good ideas? Please.
BTW, Koffee Brown suggested I go on the Chicago Lake front. I will probably get pneumonia there and she did not reply when asked how to get certified. Perhaps she was only kidding. I am not.
Old 01-25-06, 11:07 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Humm, that's a little bit of an unusual requirement, but okay. My suggestion would be to see if you could get one of the Ohio century sponsors to "certify" your time/distance. Generally these guys are pretty helpful and glad to have you as a participant. OHB
Old 01-25-06, 11:57 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will,

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to wish you luck!

Steve
Old 01-26-06, 04:49 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steve,

Here is another thought. You might be able to get someone involved in organized cycling such as a local cycling club officer to certify the time on a solo century that you do locally. They might accept that but it would be best to clear it through them first.

Pat
Old 01-26-06, 06:44 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.bikeride.com/calendar/event.asp?id=895
https://www.bikecenturies.com/pdfs/Central.pdf
https://www.bikecenturies.com/pdfs/EastCoast.pdf
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-26-06, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Humm, that's a little bit of an unusual requirement, but okay. My suggestion would be to see if you could get one of the Ohio century sponsors to "certify" your time/distance. Generally these guys are pretty helpful and glad to have you as a participant. OHB
Itis not my idea.
I agree that your suggestion will work. 14 hour drive (at least) to get to Columbus OH.
Old 01-26-06, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Steve,

Here is another thought. You might be able to get someone involved in organized cycling such as a local cycling club officer to certify the time on a solo century that you do locally. They might accept that but it would be best to clear it through them first.

Pat
Yep, this is America. I should be able to buy anything don't you think?
This may amuse you. I am a lone wolf and prefer biking solo but for this exact reason joined the local club.
We will see if they play along with this.
Anything to avoid driving to Ohio for 14 hours round trip.
Old 01-26-06, 08:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=chipcom]
https://www.bikecenturies.com/pdfs/Central.pdf
QUOTE]

Yes, thanks, that is where I found the Ohio event. Nothing going on in my area. What happened to global warming? I think that there may be days in the 50's and I can have a local bike club member "ACT" as a official.
I think the tour leader may be persuaded to listen to reason. His southern USA tour is nice and toasty but us guys up north live in our world of ice and snow.
Old 01-26-06, 08:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Will,

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to wish you luck!

Steve
Steve,
Good to hear from you. I am trying NOT to depend on only luck. I am following a training schedule by some guru and dot i's and cross t's.
Will
Old 01-30-06, 12:06 AM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is this April event a randonneuring affair?
Old 01-30-06, 04:25 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is what you do. you write a letter describing what you are doing. you get your ridng gear on and be ready to ride. You go to a Notary Public .you take the letter and your bike computer. have the notary certify your document with the time ,the date and the mileage on the odometer.Immediately go do your 100 miles and then right back to the notary to certify the time, the date and the mileage when you came back. notary's are often found in Banks, lawyer offices and car dealerships.

Last edited by Cyclist0094; 01-30-06 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-30-06, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silversmith
Is this April event a randonneuring affair?
I do not know what randonneuring affair is.
The April event is called "Fast Across America South" and is a fully supported bike tour from Southern California to Savanah GA. in 27 days. I have been training and preparing for this for the last year or more.
Old 01-30-06, 09:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
Here is what you do. you write a letter describing what you are doing. you get your ridng gear on and be ready to ride. You go to a Notary Public .you take the letter and your bike computer. have the notary certify your document with the time ,the date and the mileage on the odometer.Immediately go do your 100 miles and then right back to the notary to certify the time, the date and the mileage when you came back. notary's are often found in Banks, lawyer offices and car dealerships.
Are you serious with this suggestion? This would be the easiest for me. I feel so ignorant for things like this. Always a lone biker.
Old 01-30-06, 11:36 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am serious, What the notary can do for you is certify the current time on your document and certify that the odometer mileage on your computer matches what you wrote on the document. when you return the Notary can certify again the current time and the mileage on your odometer.

Just keep in mind you not only have to ride the ride within a specific time but you need enough time left over to travel to and from the notary.

ask the event organzer who is requiring this proof and see what they say
Old 02-03-06, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am serious, What the notary can do for you is certify the current time on your document and certify that the odometer mileage on your computer matches what you wrote on the document. when you return the Notary can certify again the current time and the mileage on your odometer.
Just keep in mind you not only have to ride the ride within a specific time but you need enough time left over to travel to and from the notary.
ask the event organzer who is requiring this proof and see what they say
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked this idea with two Notary Public working for my company.
Here is what they say: An N.P. will certify that MY signature is authentic BUT will not certify that the Cateye readings are as stated on my or anybody's document.

That leaves me with getting a Bike Club member to certify the 100 mile ride OR attending an organized ride wherever I can find one in March or early April.
Old 02-03-06, 05:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked this idea with two Notary Public working for my company.
Here is what they say: An N.P. will certify that MY signature is authentic BUT will not certify that the Cateye readings are as stated on my or anybody's document.

That leaves me with getting a Bike Club member to certify the 100 mile ride OR attending an organized ride wherever I can find one in March or early April.

Darn!,Sorry that didn't work out. I had brought it up because someone else had done something similar to qualify for a tour I was on several years ago..... maybe the notary rules vary in different states. I'll email the person tonight and see if I can find out what the details of how they did it.
Old 02-06-06, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn!,Sorry that didn't work out. I had brought it up because someone else had done something similar to qualify for a tour I was on several years ago..... maybe the notary rules vary in different states. I'll email the person tonight and see if I can find out what the details of how they did it.
There are lot's of Notary Public. It is no big deal to be one in this state. Therefore a bike club member may also be an N.P. and certify both, the Cateye and the trip report.
The point is that the person must be in the know of biking so he/she does not get fooled by us creative folks. (fudging the Cateye can be done as you know)
My real problem is that the local club bikers do not get on their bikes until April/May.
They are also a ski club and (I assume) currently doing that. I am just a lone biker trying to get my act together. I can't get things done without group paticipation, darn it. (I love solo biking)