Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fattest 559 slicks available?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 11:20 AM
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

What's the widest model true slicks available for 559 (26" MTB) rims?

One model I've found is the Continental SportContact 1.6" (I normally run the 1.3" version), but are there any that are about 2" or more?
Old 01-27-06, 11:56 AM
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet the folks over on the alt-bikes forum would know.

Steve
Who has all skinny little tires
Old 01-27-06, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Big Apples are avaialble in 26" x 2.0" and 2.35". I'm not sure what you mean by "true" slick -- they have a tread pattern, but no nubs.
Old 01-27-06, 01:55 PM
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I mean true slicks. No pattern at all. Just smooth rubber.
Or at least as close as possible to that, like this:
https://gallery.rei.com/media/711641_321Prd.jpg
Old 01-27-06, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Vredestein tyres have two options for you, https://www.vredestein.com/autobanden/Index.asp?TaalID=3

There's the Perfect Moiree at 26 x 1.75 and the B-EACH tire at 26 x 2.125.

The old IRC Metro is available at 26 x 1.5 as well. EDIT: Actualy I remember that the IRC Metro's used to be available in a bigger size as well. Maybe its still around.

You've already posted a picture of the Continental option. 1.6" is pretty cushy.

Regards, Anthony
Old 01-27-06, 02:32 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking at the Continental, but I wanted to know if there were any larger available first...

The B-EACH was cool, but bright blue isn't really my colour...

Nope, I guess I'll give the Continentals a shot later on.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-06, 02:40 PM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask this guy what tyres his ride has, I don't think they make'em any bigger:

https://fixedgeargallery.com/2006/jan/K_2.htm

BTW, the owner is a BF member, you can find him in the single/fixed subforum (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...5&page=1&pp=25).I'd swear I saw some Maxxis tyres like this, but the Maxis homepage doesn't mention anything of the kind.
Old 01-27-06, 03:10 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cool, they look like what I'm looking for.

Perhaps I should explain myself a bit...

I usually ride on 1.2" (nominally 1.3") slicks (the smaller Contis) pumped to 90-95 psi (which is as far above the recommended 85 psi as I dare go). They're great and fast, but hard tyres are never very comfortable, especially over rough surfaces such as cobbles.

I hope I'll be able to go on a bike trip to Ireland (via Denmark and the UK) this summer, and I don't feel the thin, hard tyres I have now will be very pleasant if I encounter rougher roads along the way.

Now, today, I went on my first ride on 2" studded knobbies, pumped to 40-45 psi.
What a soft and pleasant ride that was! Now, for speed, that's not what one would be looking for. But for a four-week bike tour, I'd be willing to sacrifice a slight amount of speed and cornering (st)ability to gain cushioning comfort and the ability to lower and raise pressure substantially depending on road surface conditions.
Only a fairly large-volume tyre allows me to do that, and a slick tread is a must for me for anything that's not off road or winter.

I'm not sure the larger Contis will be enough. But unless I can find a larger tyre that I can get hold of easily (I'm in Sweden), they will have to do. At least they're easy to get here and they're also fairly cheap. Plus, they don't wear very fast. I have about 3500 km on mine now, and only the rear shows any significant wear, but they're probably another 1000-1500 km from replacement.

-
Edit...
They're Ritchey Moby Bite 2.1".

Last edited by CdCf; 01-27-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 03:27 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maxis Hookworms? https://www.maxxis.com/products/bicyc...ail.asp?id=160
Tire Size 26x2.5
TPI 60
Bead Wire
Max PSI 65
Weight 1250 g
Durometer 60a

BIG!
Members cush ride. https://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/diamondback.html

Last edited by jeff williams; 01-27-06 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 03:29 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
most differences in rolling resistance between true slicks and the semislicks like the conti travel contact, the conti tt2000 and the like seem to be pretty minimal.

Look at the conti town and country. available in 2.1, with an inverse tread, the only rubber touching during straight forward motion is a slick center strip.

anyway,

I've noticed little difference between the conti sport contact, the 'true' slick you mention, versus the town and country or the travel contacts, etc.....
Old 01-27-06, 03:58 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to second the Schwalbe Big Apples suggestion - they're designed for exactly the purpose you describe.
Old 01-27-06, 03:59 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's not really about rolling resistance, it's about predictability when cornering. I've experienced "walking" behaviour with non-slicks a couple of times.
Old 01-27-06, 04:08 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CdCf
It's not really about rolling resistance, it's about predictability when cornering. I've experienced "walking" behaviour with non-slicks a couple of times.
Squirmy feel when leaning over in a corner?
Old 01-27-06, 04:14 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, yes, and it seemed the tyres "side-stepped" out of the path. Hard to explain. But doesn't happen with my slicks.
Old 01-27-06, 04:20 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you just didn't have grippy-enough knobbies...
Old 01-27-06, 04:20 PM
Electrical Hazard

Bikes: a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with those hookworms. They're pretty heavy, but all that rubber will add up to some decent puncture resistance on foreign roads.
Old 01-27-06, 04:41 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, yes, and it seemed the tyres "side-stepped" out of the path. Hard to explain. But doesn't happen with my slicks.
Mine skip if something on the ground moves.
https://www.serfas.com/tires/VSSK-F.shtml
https://www.serfas.com/tires/VSSK-R.shtml

My rear semi-slick. No squirm. XC rounder profile tires with even spaced knobbies tend to roll off the centerline better.
Flatter profile mud\hucking tires have re-inforced sidewalls and are run lower psi more on the center.
Kobbies that join at the treads edge squirm often, the rear usually in the Front\Rear\different tread designs. Reverse the tires and the squirm is front.
XC tends to have a more uniform roundness and knob spacing =better cornering.

The Serfas Vermins pretty good -higher psi speed tire for offroad\works really good as an asphalt tire as well in wet too. Mine says Kevlar mat and was about 3/5 the price of IRC Kevlar XC tires.
I also find most rolling resistance ir rear so I use a smaller 1.95 rear high psi and 2.3 xc lower psi knobbed front.
So I have a smooth front\grippy and a fast\tight tracking rear.
I have a lot of tires, I wreck tires...the Serfas is holding up reasonably well, a good tire for a economical price really, and the closest to a road\offroad tread design I've ridden.

I notice they have several slicks, I've not used other than what i'm recommending.
https://www.serfas.com/tires/tires_cruiser_all.shtml
https://www.serfas.com/tires/CTR-15.shtml Hmm.

Last edited by jeff williams; 01-29-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 04:42 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Sounds like you just didn't have grippy-enough knobbies...
I only ride on hard roads/streets. No loose surfaces for me. Well, none that I try to corner hard on anyway...
Old 01-27-06, 04:47 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh, I forgot about another reason to ride with pure slicks...
They hardly throw up any dirt at all. Even the slightest tread pattern seems to worsen that.
But that's only a bonus, not a major factor.
Old 01-27-06, 04:49 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I forgot about another reason to ride with pure slicks...
They hardly throw up any dirt at all. Even the slightest tread pattern seems to worsen that.
But that's only a bonus, not a major factor.
Knobbies throw up less water.
Old 01-27-06, 04:53 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't you find the slicks a bit squirrely when the road is wet?I also like bike minimal tread tires for the nice soft ride.Our roads-New Orleans-are crummy,potholed POS because of the crummy soil they are built on.
I happened to eyeball those Big Apple 2 x26 tires last week-the tread is minimal-just enough to give you a bit of wet traction.Slicks are-slick-on wet roads.Isn't Ireland kinda wet?It must have plenty of rain to get that green(like New Orleans,except we have to good sense to cool our beer).
There must have been something wrong with your tire-wheel combo that caused the unsure footing you noticed with treaded tires-pressure off-rim too narrow;old dry tire-or just a crummy tire.
schang-I didn't know those Big Apples came in a 2.35X26;any idea who carries them?They would be perfect for taking the "loosen your fillings" jaring out of our roads.
Those hookworms look promising,but 1200 grams-plus a bigger heavy tube-would be noticeable.Thanks.Charlie

Last edited by phoebeisis; 01-27-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Big Apples!
I'm using them because they make my bike handle MUCH better than the slicks they replaced.
The tread is thin. They will not squirm unless you put them on narrow rims at very low pressure. At 30 psi they are noticably faster than the super stiff Hookworms at 100 psi. Not to mention putting much less stress on the rims.

Running low pressures means you aren't pushing the rubber against the glass etc. with much force. After a season of mostly urban riding I don't have any little cuts in my tread. I'd recommend 30 PSI with 50-559 or 25 psi with 60-559. They are not at all slow at these pressures. Besides, you don't have to slow down for nuthin'.

The only large slick I know of that didn't have a thick, slow tread was the original Conti Avenue 1.75". Not a bad tire, but I much prefer the Apples.

Europeans are much more savvy about these things, as evidenced by the ever increasing mumber of sizes of the Apple and variations on the theme.

The most interesting is the Super Moto
https://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?ber...40&produkt=116
A 559-60 (2.35") it has a kevlar bead and grippier racing rubber. It's 7 ounces lighter than the Apple with the same tread pattern. Looks like just the thing for hardpack or the Slickrock of Moab.

Other Euro based tire outfits are geting on the "Fat but Supple" bandwagon, but I don't know of any that are distributed here.

Last edited by MnHPVA Guy; 01-27-06 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 05:03 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hookworms would be fine with light 2.1 tubes I bet.
And you don't need thorn tubes or liners etc.
The whole tires thick, not just a mat, you can ride over glass and crap on the sidewalls.
Old 01-27-06, 05:27 PM
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, 2" is about the limit of my frame, so anything beyond that won't even fit.
The more I think about it, the better the 1.6" Contis seem.
Come to think of it, the fenders won't clear more than about 2" either.

And to phoebeisis...
No, Ireland isn't particularly wet. It rains often but not much. Well, depending on where in Ireland you are, of course, but down in Cork, you regularly had 10-20 minutes of rain, then 5-10 minutes later, a clear blue sky for half an hour or an hour, then another quick shower... And so on through the day.
Where I live now, in western Sweden, it doesn't rain as often, but when it rains, the damn thing stays for many days, dripping and dripping, with a lead sky above. Depressing...
Anyway, slicks are no worse on wet asphalt than patterned treads.
Old 01-28-06, 03:15 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For touring, I'd definitely go with the 1,6 (or 1,3)Contis. Well tested, widely used and a good middle ground size-wise. 2" is just silly big for any practical purposes. Add some tyre liners in the rear and you're good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.