Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Survived my Frist Spinning Class

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Survived my Frist Spinning Class

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 12:09 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Survived my First Spinning Class

Me, one other fellow and a whole bunch of ladies in their 30's, 40's and 50's.

They won!

I did pretty well, except they do a LOT of standing, and standing over the seat, which I am not used to doing. So, my "standing" muscles got pretty well used. I do standing on my rides and in the DVD's I use, but not 6 minutes at a time.

I kept the old heart rate 150 or below, which is which is about as high as I should go, given my recent heart repair.

But, I liked the instructor (she is a friend of mine) and the folks were pretty nice. The instructor urged me to pace myself, which I did. No pressure to go beyond what you thought appropriate.
Old 02-02-06, 01:06 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Survived my First Spinning Class

Me, one other fellow and a whole bunch of ladies in their 30's, 40's and 50's.

They won!

I did pretty well, except they do a LOT of standing, and standing over the seat, which I am not used to doing. So, my "standing" muscles got pretty well used. I do standing on my rides and in the DVD's I use, but not 6 minutes at a time.

I kept the old heart rate 150 or below, which is which is about as high as I should go, given my recent heart repair.

But, I liked the instructor (she is a friend of mine) and the folks were pretty nice. The instructor urged me to pace myself, which I did. No pressure to go beyond what you thought appropriate.
If standing too long- then sit down. Luckily with the class that I do- the only time we stand is with high wheel pressure and low cadence- which is what I have to do on the solo at the top of hills in any case- but If I get uncomfortable then I sit.

If it was your first spinning class and you saw 150 and felt semi comfortable you are not doing too bad. Just wait till you get into the classes and see 170+ without realising it. Then you will be sitting down.

Well done but you have a few more classes before you can really do a spinninng class. It took me about 6 before I managed to beat the rider next to me that was carrying about 20 lbs too much weight (Mainly in his leg muscles) and about 10 before the frail little old granny on the other side remarked about how well I was doing. She still commutes to her daughter by bike 3 times a week, 30 miles each way, and up several hills that I take a detour to miss.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-02-06, 01:17 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Stapfam
If it was your first spinning class and you saw 150 and felt semi comfortable you are not doing too bad. Just wait till you get into the classes and see 170+ without realising it. Then you will be sitting down.
Well, given that I am 66yo, I doubt I will want to get to 170 too often!
Old 02-02-06, 01:18 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Way to go Dfox, you'll be racing those girls in no time!! It's a great workout in the off season, I'm there 3X week while it's raining (most of the time now).
Old 02-03-06, 07:09 AM

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job. I've been spinning for over 6 years now and find it really keeps me in shape during the winter months here in Michigan. But stick with it. For some reason the men show up for one or two classes and then never come back. I guess the saddle thing.
Old 02-03-06, 07:10 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by buddha631
Nice job. I've been spinning for over 6 years now and find it really keeps me in shape during the winter months here in Michigan. But stick with it. For some reason the men show up for one or two classes and then never come back. I guess the saddle thing.
The saddle thing is no different than on a bicycle.

Perhaps it is being shown up by the ladies?
Old 02-03-06, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a lot of the men who have shown up to my spinning classes were really not cyclists, and believe me they certainly did not look comfy on the bikes. Even now, if I get a bike with an awkward saddle tilt (of course, we have no adjustment tools at the Y) I too get a bit uncomfortable even with the bike shorts.

But one good thing is that the instructors constantly stress not to worry about what anyone else is doing. Just concentrate on your own performance.
Old 02-03-06, 07:41 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by buddha631
I think a lot of the men who have shown up to my spinning classes were really not cyclists, and believe me they certainly did not look comfy on the bikes. Even now, if I get a bike with an awkward saddle tilt (of course, we have no adjustment tools at the Y) I too get a bit uncomfortable even with the bike shorts.

But one good thing is that the instructors constantly stress not to worry about what anyone else is doing. Just concentrate on your own performance.
OK

I guess I sort of assumed that folks doing spinning were also bicyclists. But, as I think about it, that is likely far from correct.

I did know 2 of the folks in the class I was in. They are both high mileage bicyclists. I have no clue about the others, although at least 1/2 had "real" bicycling "clipless" shoes. Would someone spend the $$ for a specialized bicycling shoe if they didn't bicycle?

The pedals were clipless on one side and toe straps on the other. The trainers were Lemond RevMasters

Old 02-03-06, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
OK

I guess I sort of assumed that folks doing spinning were also bicyclists. But, as I think about it, that is likely far from correct.

I did know 2 of the folks in the class I was in. They are both high mileage bicyclists. I have no clue about the others, although at least 1/2 had "real" bicycling "clipless" shoes. Would someone spend the $$ for a specialized bicycling shoe if they didn't bicycle?

The pedals were clipless on one side and toe straps on the other. The trainers were Lemond RevMasters

No hardcore cyclists in any of my spinning classes -- except me. Although I can't even use the clipless side of the pedal because I use the Speedplay cleats.
We're currently using the Reebok bikes at the Y and I have a Schwinn Johnny G spinner at home.
Old 02-03-06, 10:15 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our Monday night instructor spun for 3 years before getting on a bicycle. Now, she only spins to keep in shape for real bicycling.
Old 02-03-06, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a great workout and a lot of fun. Some of the classes that I have been in seem to spend a lot of time standing and "bouncing" to the music, which is fine, but I prefer to work on high cadences and trying to pedal better circles. Hard to say how much it helps real cycling, but it's better than being a couch potato.

The place where I go there are only a few participants (it's a weekday at noon) who are mostly aerobic fanatics, but where my wife goes, the class is filled 3 days in advance, mostly with serious cyclists. I would definitely recommend earplugs if you don't know the volume level of the music that they play.
Old 02-03-06, 06:39 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
If standing too long- then sit down. Luckily with the class that I do- the only time we stand is with high wheel pressure and low cadence- which is what I have to do on the solo at the top of hills in any case- but If I get uncomfortable then I sit.

Well done but you have a few more classes before you can really do a spinninng class. It took me about 6 before I managed to beat the rider next to me that was carrying about 20 lbs too much weight (Mainly in his leg muscles) and about 10 before the frail little old granny on the other side remarked about how well I was doing. She still commutes to her daughter by bike 3 times a week, 30 miles each way, and up several hills that I take a detour to miss.

Stapfam-I've never done a spinning class but have alway been curious has to how it might benefit my riding. From your experience (or anyone's experience), does it help you with your riding? In other words, would it be worth adding it to a training regimen? If I'm able to get in the road miles should I just stick with the exercise I get in the saddle? My guess is that it might help the cardio if a lot of intervals are involved, otherwise if I'm able to get in the mileage on the road I might not see as great a benefit. With where I live I'm usually able to get in a least one long ride a week even in the winter. Just curious what folks have experienced that do spinning classes.
Old 02-03-06, 06:42 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
By the way-I went to a work related function last night honoring American industries that do a lot of business in Great Britain. Part of the ceremony was a toast to the Queen!!!
Old 02-04-06, 02:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Stapfam-I've never done a spinning class but have alway been curious has to how it might benefit my riding. From your experience (or anyone's experience), does it help you with your riding? In other words, would it be worth adding it to a training regimen? If I'm able to get in the road miles should I just stick with the exercise I get in the saddle? My guess is that it might help the cardio if a lot of intervals are involved, otherwise if I'm able to get in the mileage on the road I might not see as great a benefit. With where I live I'm usually able to get in a least one long ride a week even in the winter. Just curious what folks have experienced that do spinning classes.
As part of a training regime they are fine. For a few weeks last year I only did spinning and I did lack some muscle fitness on the bike. Not the legs but stomach and shoulders. Spinners do not move much so not much body movement that has to be corrected. For cardio they are probably one of the better exercises. The interval training is there and to me that does help when motivated by a good instructor. The legs are worked and it does help with raising cadence.
However, it is only 45 minutes intensive exercise, and I find that one spinning class a week and another session at the gym on treadmill, crosstrainer,bikes, and rower will keep the rest of the muscles working and in trim. Then I always finish up with a little in the weights room to work the muscles that I feel need improving.

Like all exercise- spinning should be part of a fitness regime. It does work- but so does getting out on your bike. This winter I am only riding and no Gym work to see if riding only is better. Extra rides are done to replace the gym work- but I am not convinced that it is working. I think that I need that variation of exercise to keep the fitness. Not necessarily bike fitness that is lacking, but my shoulders and arms are aching more on the bike and If I do a Hard ride- I realise which muscle groups in the legs need some extra work on them.
Whether the lack of gym work is going to tell- I will only find out when the rides start, but so far this winter, I feel fitter, feel stronger, and feel healthier. Now where did I put that new saddle I bought last year, as the extra saddle time is beginning to hurt.

Being an Ex naval man (Royal Marines) We still toast The queen in our household. Only thing is the Navy do it sitting down which is what I have to do at the end of a good meal in any case.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-04-06, 06:35 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by stapfam
However, it is only 45 minutes intensive exercise,
Mine was 60 minutes.
Old 02-05-06, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 2200-27 speed. Sch., Moab mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I am from Michigan-Grand Rapids area. I have been doing a spinning class for about 6 weeks now. It is called Cycle Cross and the lady is about 30 yo. She does lunges, squats, stretching and abs on the floor. I get a nice work out. We do four sets and the last 30 sec set is strickly spinning each time and do it very fast....