Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Austin, TX (can I crash?)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Austin, TX (can I crash?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was lucky enough to score a badge for this year's SXSW festival. My only problem is I don't have a place to crash. Any fixed forum members in the area and have a couch or floor space that they would consider renting for up to 3 nights? You'd be doing a huge favor.

Also, what is the city like for riding. I'm probably gonna bring a bike so I dont have to f with cabs and stuff.

Any advice? please advise.

thanx.

Matty

EDIT: those nights being 3/16, 3/17 and 3/18.
Old 02-03-06, 04:06 PM
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bring the bike for sure... sorry i can't help you on a place. (i'm a little far)
Old 02-03-06, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cabs? haha. Cabs do exist in Texas cities but it's not exactly a common form of transportation. You can stay at my apartment; I plan on going to the free parts of SXSW.
If you walk 10 minutes from my apmt, you reach Congress and there is a free bus that you can take (downtown austin has a few free bus routes for specific buses known as Dillos). Heck walking to and from my apartment and downtown only takes 45 minutes. Buses are a buck a day and run for 21hours of the day.
Biking is big in Austin (way bigger than in all of Texas), and there are fixies galore. for example, my work is next door to two bike shops, and I pass by two more bike shops on my short 2-mile commute.
My apartment is a mile from downtown. From my place it is straight downhill for the entire mile. Central downtown is pretty flat but rises are on the outskirts. The biggest streets where you find the 'hip' cyclists (read: fixed gear riders) are Lamar, downtown, and the drag (Guadalupe). These streets are flat and long so you can cruise them for a long time.
you gotta remember that this is prime Hill Country. Hills still kick my ass here or there. I'm from flat Houston and moved to Austin in December.

Bringing your bike is a good idea because I'm sure bike-related events will be happening. Probably Frankenbike www.frankenbike.org

Last edited by Ready to Ruck; 02-03-06 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-09-06, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Quattro Assi, Trek 8000, Pinarello, OPera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be in Austin for sxsw with a band ..wanna stay in the tour bus?? haha.
Old 02-09-06, 02:36 PM
chopsockey

Bikes: Monkey SS everythingbike, Ti frankenroadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn i miss austin. at least the sun is out here today.

if your bike is an off or on/off road dealie, ride barton creek. it starts near downtown, and gives a glimpse of what the hill country is good for. easy for singlespeeders, with a few moderately technical areas (rigid is still no prob). then go for a swim at barton springs.
Old 02-09-06, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jo5iah
then go for a swim at barton springs.
I did that mid Jan. It always stays at a temperature of 67 year round.

If the OP has a half-day to kill we can ride to San Marcos and back. A 70mile round trip that would take 6 hours including a break. Fun way to expierence the hill country and you stay on small FM roads the whole time.
Old 02-09-06, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ready to Ruck
I did that mid Jan. It always stays at a temperature of 67 year round.

If the OP has a half-day to kill we can ride to San Marcos and back. A 70mile round trip that would take 6 hours including a break. Fun way to expierence the hill country and you stay on small FM roads the whole time.
I live in San Marcos. My elbow is fractured right now, but I should be riding again around the time of SXSW. Shoot me a PM or something if you guys plan on riding out here, I'd definately like to meet up and ride around for a while.
Old 02-10-06, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TTT

can anyone set me up with a place to crash the night of Sunday 3/19 in Austin?
I'm flying back to SF early monday morning

please please please?

thanks

Matty
Old 02-10-06, 04:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody can stay at my apartment on my couch whenever. Just shoot me a PM and lemme know you are interested. I'm used to hosting drifters so it's nothing to have a new friend on my couch for a few days.
AlamoJetWhiskey, I was supposed to head out to San Marcos this afternoon but it's cold and drizzly. I'll ride down there tuesday probably, stay the night, then ride back on wednesday in late-afternoon.