Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rusty Nuts!!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Rusty Nuts!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rusty Nuts!!

OK... it's really rusty bolts, stem bolts that is, but the title sounds funnier!!

Since I've been riding all winter in Chicago, my stem bolts have a nice coat of rust on them. What's the best way to clean this up and furthermore, prevent this from happenning again?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-06, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by birch71
OK... it's really rusty bolts, stem bolts that is, but the title sounds funnier!!

Since I've been riding all winter in Chicago, my stem bolts have a nice coat of rust on them. What's the best way to clean this up and furthermore, prevent this from happenning again?
My use of Boeshield on the bike may remind at times the use of Windex in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Any sign of rust gets treated with Boeshield. With the frequent Boeshield use my bike has no problems standing day by day in the open no matter what the weather. Boeshield also goes to the inside of the frame and the inside of a rack, lock etc. In fact, I've got myself a gallon of Boeshield from an aircraft supplier.

Another strategy is to replace the rusting bolts and nuts with stainless hardware. However, the stainless steel is somewhat weaker than the typical steel in screws. If I were to replace my single stem-clamp screw with stainless, it would break.
Old 02-05-06, 07:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
use a little steel wool to clean them off... then dip your allen key in grease (i use swiss bearing grease) then shove the allen key into the bolt as to cover it with a little grease. it works

good luck
Old 02-05-06, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
There are plastic caps around, specifically dedicated for covering the stem bolts, but they get easily lost. You can fill the slots, though, with wax, obtainable at a hardware store, if you want to prevent water from accumulating there.
Old 02-05-06, 09:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: what's a bike?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
use wd-40, but not on the drive train, think about chenging the bolts to aluminum or stainless
Old 02-06-06, 09:05 PM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My solution:
- WD40 sprayed occasionnally onto bolts that I can touch (i.e. it's fairly clean).
- Oil or grease is used onto bolts that I can't touch (i.e. it last longer).
Old 02-08-06, 05:55 PM

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Classic, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin, Surly Karate Monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you do when you have rusty nuts? Egads, methinks you consume too much iron, and you need to wear something to stop chafing that area, thus exposing your blood capillaries to the oxygenated air...

OH!

You mean THOSE rusty nuts! I thought you meant... ahh, um, anyway, just scrub em down and use some silicone.... eh, my mind's in the gutter today....
Old 02-09-06, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Use grease or antisieze on the threads and wax on the exposed head.
Grease on the head can get dirty and can transfer to your clothing.
Old 02-09-06, 05:26 AM

Bikes: Bros Sonic FS XT-LX hybrid w/Brooks Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had success with colorless Tectyl (anti-rust treatment for cars). I soak a cotton stick and apply inside allen heads etc. No more rust, even if I use the bike in the salty slush.
Erling.
Old 02-09-06, 03:04 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hose the whole works in WD-40 regularly during the slop/salt season. It's working like a charm. This B.S. about it doing horrible things is just that. Just don't rely it as a quality lubricant where one is needed.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.