Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One more reason to ALWAYS carry a chain tool

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 02:27 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This morning I opted for the 1982 peugot road bike I picked up at a thrift store last week. About 5.5 miles into the commute, the rear der. simply broke off. The friction shifting had been acting up for a couple of miles but I had no idea it was self destructing. I had no problems with it on longer rides this weekend. As near as I can tell, there had been a hairline fracture for years and it finally failed today in the cold air (25 degrees).

As I sat there evaluating my options, it quickly became clear that I had to make a single speed out of the drive train. I took about 8 inches out of the chain and put it into my favorite gear (which luckily was pretty straight back) before sliding the axel as far back as possible into the semi-horizontal drop-outs and tightening the crap out of the QR. I only had another 4 miles to work but so far it has worked like a charm. Life would have sucked if I hadn't had my topeak hummer in my pack. Lesson learned.....always carry a chain tool or you may be walking to work. With enough miles, each of us will loose a deraileur at some point.
Old 02-06-06, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only broken a chain once (never a derailuer), but haven't riden without a chaintool since. I just make sure whatever multitool I have with me has a built in tool for the chain...
Old 02-06-06, 03:18 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been lucky and never needed a chain tool on the road. However, the stories I've seen here on BF have compelled me to look for a new multitool with a built-in chain tool.
Old 02-06-06, 03:27 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
I've been lucky and never needed a chain tool on the road. However, the stories I've seen here on BF have compelled me to look for a new multitool with a built-in chain tool.
Good idea. Just make sure you aren't still looking when you finally need one.
Old 02-06-06, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a small seperate chain tool, and a spare master link.

I hate walking
Old 02-06-06, 04:58 PM
MTWThFMuter

Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara, brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always carried a chaintool and spare pins for my Shimano Ultegra 9speed. However, I do not have pins for my bike with Campy setup. My question is, once I have pulled out the pins, how long will they last after I reuse them, if that is at all permissible?
Old 02-06-06, 05:19 PM
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I carry a Park Tool CT-5 and two spare gold power links.
Haven't had to use them yet, fortunately.
Old 02-06-06, 05:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been riding for 25 years and have NEVER had a problem with the chain on a ride. I lube it before every ride ... nice oportunity to check things before heading out the door. No, I don't carry any tools on the road other than for repairing a flat. Isn't that what maintenance is for??

jw
Old 02-06-06, 06:42 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a chain tool in the pack, and plan to replace the combo of the crappy multitool, tire levers, and chain tool that I currently carry with an Alien II, which looks pretty cool. I'm kind of saving it as an excuse to stop by AE Bike next time I drive by Kalamazoo.
Old 02-06-06, 08:01 PM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I carry an extra link and a multitool with a chain tool. I have never used either, but a stuck MTB'er was able to use my chain tool to fix a broken chain (at least enough to get home), so that makes it worth it.
Old 02-06-06, 10:15 PM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CdCf
I carry a Park Tool CT-5 and two spare gold power links.
Haven't had to use them yet, fortunately.
Heh, I was thinking of doing the same, carrying some extra Powerlinks.
Old 02-07-06, 11:05 AM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Good idea. Just make sure you aren't still looking when you finally need one.
Done

Ordered last night. Thanks for the kick in the butt -- I was honestly thinking about your post when deciding between sleep and staying-up to finish placing my order. I like this Hexus tool -- I now have a chain tool and, bonus! I don't have to carry a spoke wrench or tire irons anymore. But I must ask, how does a simple order for a multitool turn into $200 of cycling goodies? Having a $50 gift card makes it a smaller but still... yikes! (my only "indulgence" was a shop apron -- everything else was stuff like replacement cleats, fresh tire, chain links, etc -- tired of getting grease and stuff on my t-shirts!)
Old 02-07-06, 11:13 AM
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
As I sat there evaluating my options, it quickly became clear that I had to make a single speed out of the drive train. I took about 8 inches out of the chain and put it into my favorite gear (which luckily was pretty straight back) before sliding the axel as far back as possible into the semi-horizontal drop-outs and tightening the crap out of the QR. I only had another 4 miles to work but so far it has worked like a charm. Life would have sucked if I hadn't had my topeak hummer in my pack.
I had a similar crisis a few months ago. Broke a chain with many miles and several big hills left to go. Once I go the single speed worked up, I actually had a great ride home. Blasting those hilss convinced me to switching my commuter to a full time SS.
Old 02-07-06, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wilke
I've been riding for 25 years and have NEVER had a problem with the chain on a ride. I lube it before every ride ... nice oportunity to check things before heading out the door. No, I don't carry any tools on the road other than for repairing a flat. Isn't that what maintenance is for??

jw
Yes, and I have found that regular maintenance gets rid of 100% of my "oh s$$t" situations.

My dad had a brand new chain break on him unexpectedly once. A chain tool and link is a worthwhile insurance policy.
-D
Old 02-07-06, 01:49 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTcommuter
I had a similar crisis a few months ago. Broke a chain with many miles and several big hills left to go. Once I go the single speed worked up, I actually had a great ride home. Blasting those hilss convinced me to switching my commuter to a full time SS.
I can relate. It was so fun to just ride yesterday and not worry about gearing that today I have spent most of my morning dreaming of how to fix one of my bikes. Why not go all the way with this?
Old 02-07-06, 01:51 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Done

Ordered last night. Thanks for the kick in the butt -- I was honestly thinking about your post when deciding between sleep and staying-up to finish placing my order. I like this Hexus tool -- I now have a chain tool and, bonus! I don't have to carry a spoke wrench or tire irons anymore. But I must ask, how does a simple order for a multitool turn into $200 of cycling goodies? Having a $50 gift card makes it a smaller but still... yikes! (my only "indulgence" was a shop apron -- everything else was stuff like replacement cleats, fresh tire, chain links, etc -- tired of getting grease and stuff on my t-shirts!)
Glad to hear it. You will love that tool. It is the best multi-tool incorporated chain tool I have found. I don't really care for the screw-drivers, however.

In my experience it is not wanting to waste the $5.00 in shipping costs that turn an order into a mortgage. Have fun.