Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

knobby tire for front or rear?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-10-06, 09:46 PM
o.O

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm tired of my bike sliding out underneath me and I think I'm going to switch out one of my slick tires with a knobby I have lying around. The question is whether I should put it on the front or rear. I've heard that it's much better to have extra traction in front, but every single time I've wiped out or almost wiped out it's seemed like it's been from the rear fishtailing while the front remained straight. thoughts?
Old 02-12-06, 12:04 PM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a lot of winter conditions, knobby tires are actually not going to help with traction. That said, if you have problems with rear traction, I think you should try out the knobby on the rear.
Old 02-12-06, 01:50 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
You really need two knobbies.

It's easier to contol the bike when the back slides out than when the front slides so I vote for the front if you don't use two.
Try to pedal softly, and use momentum when possible, to keep rear traction.
Old 02-13-06, 11:49 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I would guess that you use the rear brake more than the front brake, and that's why the rear slides?

If so, you might want to put the knobby on the front and also get used to using the front brake more. Front brake stops you better, but like 2manybikes said, it's harder to control a front skid.

"Think Outside the Cage"