Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from the High Desert.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from the High Desert.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 10:10 PM
Lean, neat and eat meat!!

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport and an old Sears beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A place where you feel all by yourself when not in your car.
Not like it's a bad thing though.
Lived up here since 1987 and my main objective of posting in this forum is locating the best spot to live and ride based on reading experiences.
Old 02-15-06, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen worse places to ride than Apple Valley. I have done the Aquaduct trail, Mojave by Moonlight, and up Cajon Pass and back from Orange County. Watched a RAAM trainee one night on the Pearblossem HWY west of you. I do rememer sitting at the In-N-Out in Hesperia watching the viscous grey cloud blowing in from LA. Consider San Diego, Santa Cruz - Santa Barbara, or Sonoma County. if you do not mind snow 6 months out of the year try Colorado. Southern Michigan around Lansing is nice and has an active cycling club. Florida is warm but their idea of hill training is going over a series of freeway overpasses ( ). If you want mountain biking try your own back yard, I understand there are hot springs in the Angeles National Forest.
Old 02-16-06, 01:48 AM
Lean, neat and eat meat!!

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport and an old Sears beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome Ken.
I actually rode the aqueduct from it's 395 starting point all the way up to the point of Lancaster.
It's too bad that it's off limits to cycling now.
I haven't yet tried the Cajon Pass run yet.
The hills don't really scare me, it's the arrog/ignor-ance of many of the four-wheelers driving the 15 and most other freeways. They seem to be pretty hostile towards anything with less or more wheels than them. Bicyclists and motorcyclists, they love to bully and maim.
And 18 wheel truck drivers, they love to make money off of them, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-16-06, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hot spring Ken is talking about is called Deep Creek Hot Springs. It is all the way out Bear Valley Road. Great place to hike to, since the trail is off limits to bikes.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ion/deepcreek/
Old 02-18-06, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an Apple Valley resident also, moved from Big Bear about 5 years ago because of the affordable housing and my wife has a job in Hesperia. I just started riding again (MTB) after 8 years and am searching for good spots to ride. Going to try riding south Hesperia soon. I supose I could always drive up to Big Bear to ride when it is too hot here and the weather is nice there! I would love to road bike except for the above mentioned "arrog/ignor-ance of many of the four-wheelers driving". Good luck, bentstrider, in the search to find a good spot to live and ride!