Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

paul hubs problem

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

paul hubs problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 09:32 AM
i believe in me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
paul hubs problem

has anyone had a problem with the axle bolts on Paul hubs stripping? i had a bolt seize up in the hub and managed to unthread it, but it threads towards the end are flattened out. the bolt won't thread back into the hub, but other bolts go in fine so it seems like the threading inside the hub is fine. did i just somehow crossthread, even though i never unthreaded the bolt all the way? anyone ever gotten replacement axle bolts from Paul?
Old 02-16-06, 09:37 AM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i cannot say that i've ever worked with paul hubs before, but i've heard that they stand behind their products very well. i'd go ahead and give them a call. i bet they'll send you out a replacement for free (or a very nominal fee) - 530-345-4371
Old 02-16-06, 09:45 AM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i dropped em an email. i might give em a call later today. i've exhanged a few emails recently with paul re: the cranks and they're a great company
Old 02-16-06, 09:51 AM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul will replace them. This has also been somewhat of a common occurence on Paul hubs. Do a search and you'll find that both infestedguy and cmdrtaco had issues with the Paul nuts (though not the hub itself).

I considered Paul before I got Phils a while ago and I'd still consider them but those threads made me reconsider. I'd rather not have to go through the risk of such troubles. Though, apparently, this issue was nipped in the bud a while ago.

But as mentioned, Paul does stand by their products.
Old 02-16-06, 09:56 AM
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a problem and Paul hooked me up to remedy it. My issue was that the bolt tore the threads out of the axle body while I was tightening it.
Old 02-16-06, 10:03 AM
dismember

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evanyc
has anyone had a problem with the axle bolts on Paul hubs stripping? i had a bolt seize up in the hub and managed to unthread it, but it threads towards the end are flattened out. the bolt won't thread back into the hub, but other bolts go in fine so it seems like the threading inside the hub is fine. did i just somehow crossthread, even though i never unthreaded the bolt all the way? anyone ever gotten replacement axle bolts from Paul?
I believe I had a similar problem--one bolt felt like it would catch inside the hub, and it was a challenge to get it out. The threads at the end of this bolt looked beveled, or smushed together, as opposed to flattened. The other bolts, including the mate (this was on the rear hub) all worked without seizing. So I thought the problem was with the bolt. My main concern was that I would somehow strip the axle.

I got in touch with Paul, described the issue, and was told that the problem was probably caused by the axle. He suggested running an M8 x 1.25 tap (with oil) into the threads to clean them out. I picked up a tap, but haven't used it yet. The bolt hasn't seized on me (I think I might have swapped a bolt from the front with the stubborn one from the rear as a precaution). I'm curious to see what Paul suggests to you, and the quoted prices for spare bolts, as I'm close to stripping the head of one after an aggressive hex wrench session.
Old 02-23-06, 11:00 AM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for anyone who cares: a set of replacement bolts and washers (2) for Paul hubs is $20 from Paul.