Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

recommended areas in London?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 05:18 PM
dribbler

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Bob Jackson track, San Rensho Export road, San Rensho track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any Londoner's recommend a good neighbourhoods, to settle into ?
Just moved into the city and advice on where I could live/ride would be much appreciated

Thinking about Dalston, or Hackney, not sure about Camden.
It seems to have some decent comic and record
stores, but in general its full of grubby run-away 16 year olds trying to
sell you crap overpriced weed - in short, its a lot like the Haight -in SF!

on a sidenote The east end seems pretty much electronic
music central for London also, with Adaadat records, irritant, seed, new
bleep, liking it so far.

Can I bring my ride on the tube anywhere?

Marc
Old 02-16-06, 06:09 PM
sometimes it hurts...

Bikes: 2006 DeBernardi Track, Home-made Tall Bike, Custom 3-Speed Schwinn? Road Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can only bring your bike on the underground where it doesn't go through central, and only at certain times i believe. I used to take mine on the East london Line occasionally when I lived in New Cross.

BTW, don't live in new cross, peckham, deptford, etc. I got used to it after a while, and it's cheaper than other parts, but when I move back it won't be to SE london. The east end is pretty cool, up by brick lane is nice.
Old 02-17-06, 11:31 AM
the goal

Bikes: Bob Jackson track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk to fixedpip or trespasser from here and they like Hackney so much they have little badges to prove it. It is a pretty cool place with some pretty dodgy areas - just like the majority of London although the proportion of dodginess varies.

I have lived in Brixton for five years and love it - lots of bars, clubs and gigs and with a proper feeling of community, much of it Afro Carribean. You should come and check it out.
Old 02-18-06, 04:01 AM
dead mileage

Bikes: GT Mtnbike, PaulMilnes Trackbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Hackney, not many other places in London I'd rather live. Maybe Brixton.
But I heard Brixton is the next Hoxton!

Anywhere near Broadway Market is good. It's close to central, close-ish to a few tube stations (no bikes on most lines, some out of peak hours only) and a couple overground lines, has two decent parks nearby and the Regents canal which can get you all the way west to Paddington (and beyond?) via London Zoo, Camden Lock and Angel with only the occasional encounter with road traffic. Never really went east further than Victoria park on the canal but I think you can get as far as Canary Wharf.

Broadway Market also has The Dove, one of the better beerlovers pubs I've been in, serving countless tasty continental european beers.
Old 02-18-06, 07:45 AM

Bikes: De Rosa Corum, custom Kalavinka, Bianchi RC Pista, Cannondale MT Track, Workcycles Gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent a month in Camden last year, and my friend lived their for a couple of years and absolutely loved it. I'd consider living there. Didn't seem at all grubby to me, but then I grew up in DC.
Old 02-18-06, 09:10 AM
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say East End/North East.

Hackney for example has the highest concentration of cyclists in the city (probably cause there isn't a tube stop in the whole of Hackney right now). Rents are also not completely eye watering. Tower Hamlets (Bethnal Green) has a lot of diversity and some really decent areas. It has Brick Lane Market and also a large Buddhist community centered around the London Buddhist Centre (if you're into that sort of thing).

Islington is ok too. Good parts and bad parts - like anywhere in London. Kentish Town/Tufnell Park/Archway are liveable and even Camden has its good bits

BTW When looking for a flat/place make sure you ask what the council tax is. Its going to add a fair whack to your rent. There are exemptions for full-time students etc but it can be a nasty surprise to see how much extra you have to pay if you're not exempt. Some places may include Council Tax.
Old 02-18-06, 09:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aa

Last edited by steelisreal; 12-16-13 at 04:56 PM. Reason: aa
Old 02-18-06, 09:17 AM
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dribbler
Can I bring my ride on the tube anywhere?
If its a folder, yes!

If not the rules are complicated. Basically you can generally take your bike on most 'shallow' line tube in off-peak hours. Each tube line has its own set of rules and some you can only go between certain stations etc:

The complete up-to-date rules are here:
https://origin.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/rout...ransport.shtml
Old 02-25-06, 06:09 PM
dribbler

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Bob Jackson track, San Rensho Export road, San Rensho track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id like to pay under £300 a week, including council tax. I am staying in Islington right now, not sure if this is the right neighbourhood for me, it has the boutique, Internet cafe, and trendy pub. But not sure of its a true neighbourhood with a nice little garden flat (I'm probably dreaming right? ). BTW I brought 2 track bikes with me, and I am eager to meet up for a critical mass. I am told to wander over to the Condor, and make friends with riders around there. Any and all of your suggestions are welcome.

I have a condo in Bernal Heights San Francisco, and between the burritos,and the proximity to Cortland Street, and the Mission, it was a great neighbourhood to live. I suppose I am looking for an equivalent.

I guess Hoxton will be very highly priced, but again I would welcome your suggestions