Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front hub BB help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

front hub BB help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 07:22 PM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the front hub on my mongoose wheel, it is missing a couple BB's, now i have BB's that are a tiny bit smaller then the ones in there, what will happen if i put them in there. Do i just make sure it spins freely and has no free play? or this is a bad idea

P.S. the BB's are metal
Old 02-17-06, 07:40 PM
Riding is Praying

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Fisher Tassajara, Indy Fab Crown Jewel; Titan NOS fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give it a shot I suppose, but I doubt you will be able to get all of the play out of the hub. Even it it does work I would still get the right size as soon as you can. Good luck.
Old 02-17-06, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorty
Give it a shot I suppose, but I doubt you will be able to get all of the play out of the hub. Even it it does work I would still get the right size as soon as you can. Good luck.
well i put them in, they seem to work for now, i have no free play for some reason and they spin free, but i will try to get some correct size ones
Old 02-17-06, 09:14 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Use the correct size bearings. Front hubs almost all use either 10 or 11 in each side 3/16" diameter balls and these are easily available at bike shops or auto parts stores. Using a couple of undersize balls will put an excess load on the remaining correct ones and damage the hub rather quickly.
Old 02-17-06, 09:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Use the correct size bearings. Front hubs almost all use either 10 or 11 in each side 3/16" diameter balls and these are easily available at bike shops or auto parts stores. Using a couple of undersize balls will put an excess load on the remaining correct ones and damage the hub rather quickly.
i replaced all of them with the same size, which is a bit smaller
Old 02-17-06, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by russiankdi
i replaced all of them with the same size, which is a bit smaller
How did you manage that?

The bearing surfaces are machined/sized for certain sized ball bearings and using the wrong sized ones will place loads on the bearing surfaces they weren't mean't to take and I'm supprised you could adjust the cones properly. Replace with the correct size as soon as you can.

Regards, Anthony
Old 02-17-06, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
How did you manage that?

The bearing surfaces are machined/sized for certain sized ball bearings and using the wrong sized ones will place loads on the bearing surfaces they weren't mean't to take and I'm supprised you could adjust the cones properly. Replace with the correct size as soon as you can.

Regards, Anthony
well they are only a tad bit smaller, it isnt very noticeable, but they fit,lol, i havent rode yet im still stripping the house paint from the previous owner
Old 02-18-06, 08:38 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The correct size bearings are cheap and readily available. Use them. It will be a lot cheaper than replacing the hub. A "tad bit smaller" is not good enough.
Old 02-18-06, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The correct size bearings are cheap and readily available. Use them. It will be a lot cheaper than replacing the hub. A "tad bit smaller" is not good enough.
A "tad bit smaller" means that the cones are going to fit a "tad bit" closer to the centerline and the wheel is going to fit differently in the fork. I honestly don't know if you are likely to have problems down the line or not because, as cheap and easily available as bearings are, it's not the kind of thing that I like to experiment with.
Old 02-18-06, 10:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i found the other 4 BB's that i needed. they were in teh hub, and the hub was dirty so i didnt see them, i greased everything up and everything is good now. thanks for the help guys