Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Building Tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike Building Tools

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Building Tools

I plant to build up a MTB frame in the next month or so. I have plenty of mechanic's tools, but do I need any special tools for installing components. I plan to use Shimano XT components, hydraulic brakes, etc. Thanks,
Old 02-17-06, 11:25 PM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDP526
I plant to build up a MTB frame in the next month or so. I have plenty of mechanic's tools, but do I need any special tools for installing components. I plan to use Shimano XT components, hydraulic brakes, etc. Thanks,
yeah definitely...here are some of the things i bought recently that has allowed me to do the same. i try to get mostly Park tools because i like consistency.

crank puller cwp-6

cassette/ freewheel remover fr-5g

bottom bracket tool bbt-2

chain whip sr-2

saw guide sg-6

spoke tension meter tm-1

wheel truing stand ts-8

double-ended cone wrench dcw-1, -2, and -3 (these are cheap..i would get all three sizes because you never know when you might need a NARROW wrench

spoke wrench similar to this

chain tool ct-5

Last edited by mx_599; 02-17-06 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-17-06, 11:28 PM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable cutters are nice. You'll definitely need cone wrenches.
Old 02-17-06, 11:35 PM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah, recently i got one of these:

brs-50r

and one of these for when i wash my bike:

aztec/ delta matisse stand

Last edited by mx_599; 02-17-06 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 12:12 AM
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would buy a set.
Old 02-18-06, 12:16 AM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattP.
I would buy a set.
hey MattP...what up!!!

yeah a set might work too...
Old 02-18-06, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! MattP, do you mean a set of tools? I haven't looked at Park site yet. Thanks
Old 02-18-06, 11:00 AM
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to risk the wrath of the group and suggest that you might want to look at something like Nashbar Bigger than Big Kit Not up to the quality of Park tools of course, but perfectly serviceable for what you need. You can always upgrade as required. If it's the external BB crank, you will need an external BB Tool, again, I've got a Nashbar and it works just fine.

Yes, top quality tools are great. Cheap tools are junk. The Nashbar falls into the middle, not the best but more than good enough for most home users I suspect.

Just my .02

Steve W
Old 02-18-06, 10:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips on tool mfrs. Believe I will order a couple of items including a stand. I see where component mfrs recommend facing some of the tubing surfaces where BB bracket, head tube bearings, and even calipers are mounted. Those tools are quite expensive for an individual to own. How would you suggest locating a local bike builder that would assist in setting up some of the components, someone that may have the correct tools and abilities to use them properly? I am not purchasing my frame locally, so I am sort of hestitant to ask any local dealers for assitance? I know its a great benefit dealing with a local proprietor with any type of product you have when you need help.
Old 02-18-06, 10:26 PM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips on tool mfrs. Believe I will order a couple of items including a stand. I see where component mfrs recommend facing some of the tubing surfaces where BB bracket, head tube bearings, and even calipers are mounted. Those tools are quite expensive for an individual to own. How would you suggest locating a local bike builder that would assist in setting up some of the components, someone that may have the correct tools and abilities to use them properly? I am not purchasing my frame locally, so I am sort of hestitant to ask any local dealers for assitance? I know its a great benefit dealing with a local proprietor with any type of product you have when you need help.
to be quite honest, most people get away with not facing any of the surfaces you mention. i wouldn't even worry about it.

the caliper tabs definitely don't worry about unless there is a problem. a caliper is easily removed after the fact and can be faced later. my Hopes worked fine with no facing of tabs.

for the other two surfaces, you can take a flat fine cut metal file and gently span the circular surfaces of the BB and HT. do this gently to mostly just take the paint off. take no to barely any metal off. just light pressure and you will see the paint being removed and the metal getting "shiny" or changing color. you know what i mean. this is a cheap alternative to true facing.
Old 02-19-06, 12:24 AM
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mx_599
hey MattP...what up!!!

yeah a set might work too...
Hola

Yeah, for your needs, I would buy a set. If you were to buy individual tools down the road when you come across the need for them, a set might not be the best way to go, since you could wait for deals and what not.

But since you are doing a build all at once, a set might be the best way to go. Check out Nashbar's stuff, or if you want stuff that won't fail, check out Park. And a stand is always a bonus
Old 02-19-06, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Bike has their Spin Doctor tools really cheap. As stated above, the tools to get from them are the drivetrain combo (chain whip, cassette removal tool, and chain pin tool), a crank puller and BB tool for whatever type you have. That will get you going into just about anything other than wheel truing and building stuff. As far as the wrenches, I dont need any for my bike, so you may want to save that for picking up as needed from LBS. Go with the Performance Spin Doctor stuff as it is alot cheaper than Park.
Old 02-19-06, 11:34 AM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to the OP. i am totally for cheaper tools. i am used to buying auto tools, so PARK seemed cheap to me. however, some of those park tools i showed you above were really not that much money. Choose wisely and you can save too. for instance, that little crank puller does ISIS or square or you could buy more expensive ones with a handle....but the one i got you just us an adjustable wrench.
the only expensive things were my wheel building stuff...oh, and i kind of splurged on my chain whip....and the saw guide.

but everything else is reasonable...promise
Old 02-19-06, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
If you have a really nice bike, go to a bike shop that has a campy tool set to have the facing done. The whole idea of facing is to have both sides of the tube perfectly parallel so the bearings are as smooth as possible and you need precision tools to do this, but they are prohibitively expensive.