Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Foggy glasses in cold weather-lets fix it

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went out snowmobiling today and I found that my glasses kept fogging up. The face shield of my helmet was also fogging up. I ended up riding in -22 degrees at 50mph with no glasses and my helmet visor up. Somehow I made it through the day without getting killed or getting frostbite. I have the same problems with my glasses when I ride any form of open air vehicle or bike.

Lets find a solution once and for all. I'd like to collect as many suggestions for products as I can here. I'll try each one and I'll post the results. I've already heard a few. I can't remember the screen names these came from. I'm sorry I didn't give credit where credit is due.

Moving air over the glasses:
Today I put all my riding gear on in a warm tempurature and then I made sure to keep moving outside while leaving my visor one click open. The wind kept my glasses and visor clear as long as I was moving. The visor was closed enough that my face stayed warm also. As soon as I stopped however they started slowly fogging again. This does work extremely well but is difficult to maintain in some situations (such as snomobiling).

Rain-ex Antifog:
I'll try this out this week since it'll be below 0 all week. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Take care and I can't wait to hear more suggestions
dirt biker
Old 02-17-06, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about that antifog that is used for snorkel mask.
Old 02-18-06, 08:46 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been through all of that. Then i found the solution in one word: Contacts
Old 02-18-06, 06:05 PM

Bikes: 85 Ross Mt Rainier(for winter road use), 86 Centurion Ironman Master, 92 trek 2300,2005 Iron Horse HollowPoint Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I have solved that problem with Smith turbo CAM goggles.. the cam stands for constant air movement.. has a little micro electric fan that runs on 2 AAA batteries in a box on the headband.. I can get off the bike steaming like a New York City manhole cover in January(well most January's anyway, maybe not this year) and not have my glasses fog at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smith-turbo-cam.jpg (4.1 KB, 804 views)
Old 02-19-06, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rub raw potato on the lenses. I've never tried it but I hear it prevents fogging.
Old 02-19-06, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreyGoat
well I have solved that problem with Smith turbo CAM goggles.. the cam stands for constant air movement.. has a little micro electric fan that runs on 2 AAA batteries in a box on the headband.. I can get off the bike steaming like a New York City manhole cover in January(well most January's anyway, maybe not this year) and not have my glasses fog at all!

Where do you get them?

Great poetic image, BTW.
Old 02-19-06, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone's going to mention "Cat crap". Its available from REI or online. I haven't found it to be that effective, but I still carry the kit because its good to have a way to clean your glasses when away from running water.

Then again, maybe its only supposed to work in extreme cold, which I don't have, or on glass lenses (mine are poly...something or other).
Old 02-19-06, 10:46 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I mentioned contact lenses earlier. They really are the only true way to get rid of the fogging. Get rid of the glasses. I just got back from a fairly chilly ride. 17F with some wind. It is nice to be able to cover up the entire face except for the eyes.

I could never do that in the past when i wore glasses. With that said, the best solution i ever found for trying to cover the face and wear glasses, are things called earbands. I wear a balaclava with one earband over my ears as intended. Another is worn backwards with the wider part used to cover my nose and mouth.

The balaclava comes right up to my lower lip, and i pull the earband over my nose. This covers all surfaces and leaves an opening for the nostrils to deflect air downward. The mouth is also covered by the "tent" that is formed by the earband. The majority of the air is deflected down and out away from the glasses.

This tends to work better into the wind, as there is still a bit of fogging, and wind will usually diminish it. This was the best solution i ever found. I tried all the wipe on crap, etc. and none of it worked. Again, the best option is to get rid of your glasses if you can.
Old 02-19-06, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like a lot of people have already tried to fix this.

I know that getting contacts will ultimatley solve the problem. Luckily I can wear contacts but not everyone can. For people that can wear contacts this will most likely be the best solution.

I sent a few E-mails out to RainX and to a couple sport eyewear sites the other day. I'll try a few of these suggestions out tomorrow and post the results. I know I was supposed to do this yesterday but I got lazy and I had other things to do unfortunatley.

Good riding
dirt biker
Old 02-19-06, 05:48 PM

Bikes: 85 Ross Mt Rainier(for winter road use), 86 Centurion Ironman Master, 92 trek 2300,2005 Iron Horse HollowPoint Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkS
Where do you get them?

Great poetic image, BTW.
I searched for the best deal at the time on the internet.. forgot the name of the place that had them.. but it was a motocross/motorcycle type store.. and they had them in clear.. at the time most of my riding was in the dark so that was better than having shaded lenses.. I've since picked up a pair of tinted(orange and smoke grey) for $7 each.. and I think I paid $110 for the goggles.. Just need to shop around for best deal on the color lenses you like.. also they have mutiple sizes.. I ended up with an OTG model(over the glasses)
that may be a little big for some, the smaller ones may fog easier tho too .. no telling..
I used them again today it was about 19 degrees when I started riding... I was able to do my 10miles with the fan on low..(longer battery life).. nice if you ever have to stop, or even put a foot down at a light for a few when commuting.. you can easily flip the switch to turn the fan on hi with glove on... and kick it back to low when moving again etc.. Last season the batteries lasted me all winter and I used them alot.. this year I have only used them a few times, and I use a set of Bugz snowboard goggles when its warmer etc..
edited: here's a pic of the fan up closer on another model..and the battery pack / switch..
Attached Images
File Type: gif
smithfan.gif (74.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: gif
smithswitch.gif (53.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by GreyGoat; 02-19-06 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contacts wouldn't do it for me even if I wore glasses.. I don't like the extreme cold anywhere near my eye sockets.. with goggles, a balaclava, and a neoprene facemask.. I can ride with no skin exposed at all and not fog.. ever..
Old 02-20-06, 10:08 PM
Back in the saddle

Bikes: 04 Specialized Sworks roadie/old school Miata roadie/GT panetera hard tail, and tricycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirt biker
I
Rain-ex Antifog:
I'll try this out this week since it'll be below 0 all week. I'll let you all know how it goes.
There is my vote... and put rain-x on the outside of your shades or whatever your wearing when your caught in the elements
Old 02-21-06, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
With wrap around glasses, use a strap that goes around your head to hold them on. Leave it loose enough so that you can pull them about 1" away from your face. On a faster cold section have them tight against your balaclava at the top for a good seal. When stopping, pull them out from your face for air flow to prevent fogging. When riding hard and very slow off road just let them hang around your neck. The powered goggles sound more convenient, maybe even more effective, but I have been doing this for about a decade, and I do it automatically now, it works great. I finally settled on a neck gaiter after about 11 years, over as many balaclavas as needed for the temperature, it can be pulled down under your chin, or up under your glasses as needed.

You need to adjust the ventilation depending on what covers your mouth and nose as well.
Old 02-21-06, 04:48 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MSRP for Smiths is $160. Only for medium size heads.
Old 02-21-06, 04:53 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Large size is available.
https://www.snowshack.com/smknotgogltu.html

Don't know if the problem is worth $160 yet, but we'll see.
Old 02-21-06, 05:33 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Funny when I wear my (Scott) Clear Ski Goggles, they NEVER fog.

When I wear Glasses (Clear or Sunglasses) they will Fog a lot, when I stop of course...advice: Don't STOP! LOL

Once in a great while (when I think of it) I will use a anti fog wipe. We have a bunch at work, so I carry some with me... but never use 'em.

Old 02-21-06, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The goggles are $130 with free shipping here. $150 will get you the sensor lense.

https://shop.store.yahoo.com/snowshack/smtucamskian.html

Still a hefty price for fogging.
Old 02-21-06, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had it to do again, I would like to try the medium sized smiths.. the large OTGs are ok but a little bulky.. and I don't have glasses that I need them to cover.. there is some peripheral vision loss, but for the extreme cold it's still worth it to me..
Old 12-02-07, 11:14 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw mention of the Psolar Balaclava (https://www.psolar.com/) somewhere on the forums. The first testimonial mentions no fogging, and they sell a vapor shield that apparently takes care of this. I ordered mine tonight--I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-03-07, 02:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clarity Fog Eliminator

I've been using Clarity Fog Eliminator for a few years now. It really works to prevent your glasses from fogging up on a cold day. Stopping for a light no longer means fogged glasses.

"The Fog Eliminator soft cloth spreads a dry, invisible ultra-thin coating that absorbs moisture. Fog microdroplets are absorbed into the coating, instantly spread across the film’s surface, and evaporate back into the air before fog can form. Each application gives hours and hours of protection, and the cloths are reusable 8-10 times."
https://www.nanofilmtechnology.com/pr...eliminator.htm

Performancebike has it and so does: https://www.google.com/products?q=Cla...=off&scoring=p
Old 12-04-07, 01:55 AM
64 49' N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fogging is devilish to solve.

As a skier I realized back in high school that eyeglasses just weren't going to cut it, but going to contact lenses isn't the total solution. Anyone that has skied someplace like. . .say whistler where there is a lot of vertical and a lot of temperature gradient between top and bottom, has experienced mid-mountain fog. This is pretty much what cyclists put up with, they make their own mid-mountain fog and haul it around with them. Ventilation schemes on ski goggle designs are only effective if you are moving fast enough to keep fresh air circulating, the first time you come to a stop at something like one of those inconvenient-intersection-things its all over.

The situation is actually compounded by really really cold temps. I wear contacts and after about -10F I have no choice but to wear some sort of eye-protection (not that there aren't many good reasons to wear eye protection both on the road and trail) any speed at all at -15F on down and my eyelashes are freezing and yes. . .contact lenses start freezing. If I come to a stop at cold temperatures, often one breath and my eyewear instantly have a bullet proof layer of ice on them. I've tried some venting tactics-ski masks with strategically placed bits of duct tape that are intended to direct my breath downward and away from the glasses but sooner or later I'm squinting through a slit. Visibility is the single biggest obstacle I encounter riding in sub-zero weather.

Not all glasses are created equal. I've gone through several styles of eyewear and some were definitely more effective. I had pretty much settled on Smith Bazooka sliders with the yellow lens, they seemed to have the balance between air space and protection and were reasonably durable but an unanticipated trip through the washing machine last spring reduced their service-life. I found some photochromatic Julbo "Instincts" on clearance last summer and so far so good. I also bought some crap called "FOGTECH" advanced one-step-anti-fog-solution at REI last week. We shall see.

I think Machka claims to wear eyeglasses no matter what the weather but I suspect she has developed some sort of bat-like sonar with all that night-riding she does.
Old 12-05-07, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Roubaix, Pinarello Opera, Giant NRS, Schwinn Corvette, Fuji S18, Schwinn StingRay, Santana Arriva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear contacts, but I have to wear glasses over them or I can't see after a short time. I've worn Uvex Genesis safety glasses with their anti-fog coating. They actually work pretty well. I've tried many many of the products applied to lenses and found none of them work very well.
Old 12-06-07, 09:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by effigy
I saw mention of the Psolar Balaclava (https://www.psolar.com/) somewhere on the forums. The first testimonial mentions no fogging, and they sell a vapor shield that apparently takes care of this. I ordered mine tonight--I'll let you know how it goes.
I received/tried my PSolar HX Helmet Balaclava today, and it's an impressive product. It was ~20°F and my ears felt a little drafty, but the neck fleece certainly did its job. The warming module performed as advertised: I never took one cold breath. The "Vapor Shield" (which is just a foam sticky that covers the gap around the nose) worked also--I didn't fog up once. Hooray!

I was previously using the Under Armour ColdGear Hood, which, aside from fogging my glasses, worked great. For those that may not need the whole warming module contraption, you may be able to order the Vapor Shield alone and stick it to your current balaclava. It's pricey considering it's size and simplicity ($5), but if it gets the job done...
Old 12-06-07, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an outlandish idea that I just had. The climbers on everest used to use goggles that were no more than a narrow horizontal slit in a totally opaque lens to protect thier eyes from snow blindness. Perhaps this idea could be adapted to a pair of dark lens goggles. If the slit is only about 1/8 inch wide and two inches long not much cold air would get in so the eye would stay warmer than with nothing on, yet some air would get in to help ventilate the inside of the goggle. The lens would not be opaque like in the old goggles so you would have better peripheral vision but if the goggles fog you have a certain amount of pure vision through that slit that cannot fog up. The extra ventilation may also help keep the regular lens clearer.

Anyone with some old spare lenses for thier ski goggles want to give it a try.

Last edited by Hezz; 12-06-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 10:03 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does anyone else think that Portis must lack tear ducts?

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I can't ride in cold weather without glasses of some sort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.