Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

using xt 13-30 cassette on road bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am thinking of using a deore xt 13-30 rear 8 speed cassette on a road bike with only a single 48t front chainring and a shortcage derailleur. I am wondering if there will be any problems with using the short cage with this wider range cassette which is typically reserved for mountain bikes. I am looking to make the bike sleek, but want a good range in the back to support any substantial climbs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-06, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The derailler will probably have enough capacity to take up the slack - the range is only 27t. However, the issue is whether the derailler will move at an angle that can handle a 30t large cog. Shimano "road" rear deraillers are rated to 27t max cog, although in practice 28t always works, and often 30t will work too. However, a 30t large cog isn't always a sure bet with this setup.

I run a 13-28 7-speed freewheel on my commuting bike, with a single chainring. So, similar setup. But I've got an old Shimano Exage rear derailler, designed for mountain bikes (so, long-cage), with an official max-tooth capability of 32t, functional to 34t.

If you're using friction-shifting, this is probably irrelevant; your derailler will handle it. But if you're using indexed shifting, 30t large cog with a road rear mech is a "maybe."
Old 02-20-06, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks,

... and I am using a friction downtube shifter.
Old 02-20-06, 05:59 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by timcupery
If you're using friction-shifting, this is probably irrelevant; your derailler will handle it. But if you're using indexed shifting, 30t large cog with a road rear mech is a "maybe."
The type of shifting is irrevant. The derailleur may or may not handle a 30T cog, no matter what type of shifting the OP has. The problem is will the jockey pulley clear the cog teeth, not will it move laterally enough.
Old 02-21-06, 11:45 AM
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
It might work. I've run 13-30 6-speed and 11-30 8-speed with Shimano road short cage rear derailers. You can often get Shimano road derailers to run on a 30T. The issue is that the guide pulley may hit and run against the 30T cog when you shift to it. You might need to adjust the "B-tension" of the rear derailer, and if you have horizontal dropouts you may need to move the wheel forward or backward. If it's not quite working but is really really close, you could also insert a 1 or 2mm axle spacer to move the cassette further from the derailer (you usually don't need to redish for only 1mm but you might want to if it takes 2mm to make it work). This will result in the derailer angling down slightly further once it gets to the 30T cog. Alternatively, you could put a spacer between the hanger and the derailer and no redishing would be required.