Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sugino Crank Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sugino Crank Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 09:02 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two cranks?

XD300
XD600

The only thing I see is the weight difference, which I'm not too concerned with since this is going on my LHT (mainly commuting) rig.

Thanks
Old 02-21-06, 09:14 AM
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not a bike mechanic, nor do I play one on tv.....but

I just got a set of the XD600 cranks and it looked to me that the XD600 has aluminum chainrings, and the other model has steel chainrings.

Mine are going on a Surly Pacer commuter.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 02-21-06, 09:15 AM
RidesOldTrek

Bikes: 2018 Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Trek TX-500, 1990 Bridgestone MB-3, 1983 Trek 500

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
The 300 list steel chainrings, the 600 lists aluminum. The copy on the 300 says it is the same crank forging as the 600 - picture looks different, but that's not always reliable. Steel rings should be less prone to wear than the aluminum. Aluminum typically looks better, but once they get dirty in commuting, who can tell? If you don't care - go for the steel, looks like a nice crank. I have a 30 year old forged Sugino - great crank, still going strong.
Old 02-21-06, 09:23 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll probably go with the XD300 in order to trim some costs (every bit counts, right?), and since I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference.
Old 02-21-06, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yep, the difference is steel rings on the 300. In addition to being cheaper, the steel rings have the advantage of taking much, much longer to wear down than aluminum. If you want to do a lot of miles without replacing your chainrings, the XD300 is actually a better choice.
Old 02-21-06, 10:17 AM
RidesOldTrek

Bikes: 2018 Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Trek TX-500, 1990 Bridgestone MB-3, 1983 Trek 500

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wmgardner
Thanks for the information, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll probably go with the XD300 in order to trim some costs (every bit counts, right?), and since I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference.
One thing to note about the particular crank in your link: it has 175 mm crank arms. While we could debate the merits of mechanical advantage, spinning rpm, etc. you should be aware that a longer crank arm will be more likely to result in interference between your toes and the front wheel, especially if you are using fenders. I ride with toe clips and have this problem on my older Trek which has a longer wheelbase than some newer bikes. My crank is 171mm, and I ride with fenders. The Sugino 300 is available in 170 and 165 mm versions as well.
Old 02-21-06, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Something I'm curious about: how is the XD600 different than the XD2? Prices I've seen have the XD2 as a bit more expensive than the XD600, and the forging pattern is different (see picture below) and it seems like it gets correct chainline with a slightly shorter bottom bracket spindle (107 or 113mm recommended for XD2, 113 or 118mm recommended for XD600). Anyone know where these fit relative to each other in Sugino's line, or why they both exist?
Old 02-21-06, 06:32 PM
LHT Commuter

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker & Motobecane Le Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridesoldtrek
you should be aware that a longer crank arm will be more likely to result in interference between your toes and the front wheel, especially if you are using fenders.
What you say is true, but his LHT has a very long wheelbase and slack angles by current standards. Head tube angles range from 70 for small frames to 72 for large frames, and fork rake is listed as 45mm.
Old 02-21-06, 09:48 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
i think the xd2 just has a new SUGINO logo located on mid crank arm; older xd had a little coat-of-arms-like logo nearer to crank bolt hole. so cosmetic difference only.

on some pics it appears that the crank arm is fatter near the crank. i can't tell if it really is or just looks that way.

they offered this crank as the 300 (steel steel steel) 500 (steel al al) and 600 (al al al) depending on location. QBP has listed only the 300 and 500 for last few years, now lists 300 and 600. for a while it was cheaper to buy the 300 and a spare 46t alloy ring. sugino sells a bunch of rings, QBP lists many.

i think this is their official web site, its very slow loading

https://www2.odn.ne.jp/suginoltd/road_triple_e.html
Old 02-21-06, 11:24 PM
LHT Commuter

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker & Motobecane Le Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timcupery
Something I'm curious about: how is the XD600 different than the XD2?
To add to the confusion, the crank I bought for my LHT has labels on the box that say both XD2-300T and XD300.