Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kudos to Crankbrothers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kudos to Crankbrothers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 02:03 PM
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to Crankbrothers

I have a way of pushing any tool to it's breaking point at times within the allowable use of it, that is. I just received my Power Pro Pump from CB, the one with the gauge which is nice if you have a flat on the road so you know what pressure your at. Well, I use the PV side for those who know the pump and blam, the damn end cap busted out when I locked the head on. Jeez, I broke my Park Tool crank puller first use and now first use of the pump.

Now, I was born on Friday the 13th and it has followed me most of my life rearing it's ugly head from time to time. I contacted CB and they said, no problem, will put another end cap in the mail for you. Whooo Hooo, afterall, it does have a lifetime warranty.

Anyone else have this hand pump and ever had that happen?

Pictures of the damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00385 (2).JPG (64.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00386 (2).JPG (31.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-23-06, 02:18 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Crank Brothers stuff and LOVE their customer service - just puled the trigger on another set of pedals, now I have Candies, Mallets AND Eggbeaters - but I was glad the day my CB pump disappeared from my Camelbak, so much did I hate using it. Roadmorph or nothing for me, these days...
Old 02-23-06, 04:04 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If that end cap is screwed on too tight then this may happen - the rubber inside puts forces on the pump head when tightening it. The end cap must only be on just tight enough to provide an airtight seal when closing the head. You coud use the other side's end cap, they are the same.

I love my CB pump. Lots of people complain about them, I think it is because they don't have the next clue about how to use them. They're not for mechanical stumblebums.
Old 02-23-06, 04:45 PM

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truman
..... I was glad the day my CB pump disappeared from my Camelbak.....
I think that your pump did you a favor by self-destructing on the first use. At least now you can still return it and get a real pump. Those things look like a great idea, but they're damn-near impossible to use.
Old 02-23-06, 08:44 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Back to the OP. You broke a Park crank puller? How on earth did you manage that? You could drive a car over those things without damaging them!
Old 02-23-06, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an older pump like that and I love it. I've had it for about 4 years, never a problem.
Old 02-23-06, 09:44 PM
later

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by truman
I like Crank Brothers stuff and LOVE their customer service -
+1 on their customer service. I broke a hex wrench on my Multi-17, i emailed them, they sent me the replacement part (to canada) no questions asked. I didnt even have to mail them back the broken part, and they gave me a nifty CB sticker.
Old 02-24-06, 06:16 AM
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Back to the OP. You broke a Park crank puller? How on earth did you manage that? You could drive a car over those things without damaging them!

Pulling off the crank arm of my Bontrager and the rotating disk broke into 4 pieces under the pressure.