Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

wipperman chain problems

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

wipperman chain problems

Old 02-23-06, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wipperman chain problems

So I have one of those trackstar chains on my juice(soma), and I'm running a salsa chainring up front with a woodman rear hub. I've only recently built it up and haven't ridden it much, maybe a handful of times. I've cleaned it twice taking the wheels off to be trued and wiping it down and all that. The first time I found like 7 dead links, so I dipped the chain, and lubed the crap out of it with pro-link. This second time I found two or three dead links. Another mechanic pointed out that the spacer/bushings in the chain appear to be too small (or else the inner plates are pushed too far outward) at those locations. He said he'd seen it before. I took some needlenose to the plates to try to pinch them in onto the spacer/bushings. It seemed to be an ok fix. It's just a regular salsa ring, unramped and unpinned, and the rear is a dx cog. The only thing I can figure is that, if the plate spacing actually was the problem, is because the 1/8 chain on 3/32 stuff.

Have you guys ever had a problem like this or heard of it? Maybe I just need to lube it up more? I don't know.
Old 02-23-06, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dont think is because u are using a 1/8 chain with 3/32 stuff at all, U race years like that and np... maybe is the chain... sometimes people get stuff thinking they should work awesomly well so why u dont go to the standar and simplicity of a D.I.D chain or a SRAM... DID's r hard to find now a days but i tihnk somebody is still selling them at ebay (thats good stuff). Regarding Sram.. well they are cheap and they work super fine (like 10 bucks)...

some chains should work fine but sometimes they dont...What it really would kick my balls off is to pay like 70 bucks for a super dupper chain and the crap brakes or strech after 3 months... so keep it simple... get an sram... cheap, they work fine, and u can get them in the corner store.

UM

ps: did u check your chain line???

UM.
Old 02-23-06, 04:48 PM
robots in disguise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So...hard...to...read...
Old 02-23-06, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
...really would kick my balls off ...

UM.
My chainline's good. It sounds like I just ride it til it breaks and buy something else then...
Old 02-23-06, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you try bending the dead links the way they're not supposed to bend? pull the chain taut and bend out and in.
Old 02-23-06, 05:56 PM
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beppe
So...hard...to...read...
Agreed, but it's usually worth the effort with this guy.
Old 02-23-06, 06:02 PM
likes avocadoes

Bikes: heh, like that info would fit here...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
I dont think is because u are using a 1/8 chain with 3/32 stuff at all, U race years like that and np... maybe is the chain... sometimes people get stuff thinking they should work awesomly well so why u dont go to the standar and simplicity of a D.I.D chain or a SRAM... DID's r hard to find now a days but i tihnk somebody is still selling them at ebay (thats good stuff). Regarding Sram.. well they are cheap and they work super fine (like 10 bucks)...

some chains should work fine but sometimes they dont...What it really would kick my balls off is to pay like 70 bucks for a super dupper chain and the crap brakes or strech after 3 months... so keep it simple... get an sram... cheap, they work fine, and u can get them in the corner store.
UM
UM.
edited for clarity. I'm bored at work.

I dont think your problem results from using a 1/8 inch chain with 3/32 inch components. One could race for years with that setup and not have the problems you are describing. Maybe your problem is the chain. Sometimes people get expensive components and are under the assumption that they should work well, [but this isn't always the case.] Perhaps an alternative would be to use a more standard and simple chain, such as those made by D.I.D and SRAM. D.I.D.'s are hard to find now that they are no longer in production, but I think someoney is still selling them at ebay. As far as Sram chains go, they work well and are very cheap (around ten dollars.)

Some chains don't perform up to expectations. What really would annoy me would be to pay seventy dollars for a high-end chain only to have it break or stretch after only three months of use. My solution is to use Sram chains, which are easier to find and inexpensive.

ps: did you check your chain line? Chains running at extreme angles are more likely to develop kinks and bent plates. In this case, no chain will perform well.
Old 02-23-06, 08:06 PM
WTF?

Bikes: trek cross, gt mtb, khs track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks r-dub. i actually read your version.
someone should write an online translator for this guy.

but alas...
Originally Posted by jim-bob
+1
Old 02-23-06, 08:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob

THanks for the compliments...or not?