Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What kind of trainer?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

What kind of trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of trainer?

Well, with the winter season pretty much all but here, there are fewer and fewer days where it is possible to ride outdoors, so I've decided to put a new bike trainer on my christmas wishlist. Can anyone suggest a good, durable trainer that doesn't break the bank?

Last edited by geofflowery; 11-15-02 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 05:46 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by geofflowery
Well, with the winter season pretty much all but here, there are fewer and fewer days where it is possible to ride outdoors, so I've decided to put a new bike trainer on my christmas wishlist. Can anyone suggest a good, durable trainer that doesn't break the bank?
What kind of bike do you have? I have a Minoura Rim-Drive trainer... there are several versions. I think the cheapest ones go for a little over USD100. I like it because it doesn't wear my tyres and I can use it with both road and mountain bikes.
Old 11-15-02, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the CycleOps Fluid 2. Bought it on eBay for $200. Very sturdy, quiet, smooth. comes with a QR so that you won't mar yours. I like it as much as I can like riding indoors. Come on spring!!!
Old 11-15-02, 06:40 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by hotrod
I like it as much as I can like riding indoors. Come on spring!!!
I last about an hour on the trainer at most. And that's with TV or radio going. I've even tried the Playstation, web browsing and IRC while on the trainer. I've actually dozed off while riding it before. Anyone had success with something else?
Old 11-15-02, 07:55 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by khuon

I last about an hour on the trainer at most. And that's with TV or radio going. I've even tried the Playstation, web browsing and IRC while on the trainer. I've actually dozed off while riding it before. Anyone had success with something else?
Nope. Cycling indoors is dull. You can try those training videos where each time you get on is a challenge and these is sprinting and such involved. May help keep things interesting.
Old 11-15-02, 10:34 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I also have a Minoura rim driven trainer.. I also like it..
Old 11-18-02, 03:40 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
There have been several threads asking for trainer recommendations in the past month or two. Do a search in this forum or go to the bottom of the "Training and Nutrition" forum page and select "last 30 days" or "last 45 days" from the dropdown list. Then click on "go".

BTW: I purchased a CycleOps Magneto. Great trainer.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-18-02, 03:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually beat you to the punch. I just figured that out this morning. Thanks for the hint though!
Old 11-18-02, 03:49 PM

Bikes: LeMond Victoire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a CompuTrainer (See my link below) if you are after an indoor trainer that will allow you cadance, HR, and wattage output monitoring all while racing/training on a simulated course of your design. (With or without an opponent). Just plug into a TV or monitor and yer good to go!
Old 11-21-02, 06:34 PM

Bikes: Bike 1 - Bianchi 928, Easton carbon stem, bar & seat post, Ultegra 11/23 cassette. Bike 2 - 03 Lemond Buenos Aries. FSA compact crank, Sella Italia FSK sadle and Ultegra 12/27 cassette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No actual experience yet, but I researched the hell out of the subject recently!! yOU PROBABLY SAW MY QUESTION!!

What I ended up buying is the Tacx BASIC ($330 from world cycling) because of the plethora of features. The one down side (which I decided was acceptable) is that it plugs into the wall. My second choice was the Elite Volare Digital Mag ($375). It uses a batarry, but what I heard from several people who distribute both is that that Tacx is a more solid unit.

Guess I'll find out in a week or so when it gets here!

Best of luck...Later...Bill
Old 11-27-02, 07:01 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a nashbar trainer, got for around $100 and have used it without fail for 3 years. i find it to be effective....
Old 11-27-02, 09:36 AM
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest that you get a set of rollers instead of a trainer. Rollers with a resistance unit will give you as much resistance as a trainer and you get the added benefit of developing bike handling skills alongside your workout. The other reason l like rollers is that they are not as boring as a trainer as you have to keep your mind on what you are doing and therefore it will likely not end up in the closet as quickly as a trainer.

I use Kreitler Rollers which are more expensive but I wouldn't trade them for anything less. They are rock solid and I am getting there too!
Old 11-27-02, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Captain Crunch-

Thanks for the advice. I had heard the same thing about rollers from a friend and I think I am going to go that way. Hearing it from somewhat else helps the decision too. Thanks!