Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 12:40 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket

Curious, When I pedal I feel a hitch on the down stroke. It only happens once a revolution. I checked the crankarms and they appear to be tight. I think it could be the bottom bracket. Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-06, 04:16 AM

Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check your rear derailleur pulleys to see if they are gunked out. Happend to me!
Old 02-26-06, 02:46 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It could be you BB or your cranks. I had a hitch on my bike trip this fall with a new bike. I was expecting it as part of break-in for the new cranks (old style), but I hadn't been able to get a big crank tool to carry with me, up to that point all my cranks had used a hex bolt, the new ones use an 8mm tool. It was only solved when a pro with BIG wrenches cranked the pedals, the BB, and the cranks. What I usually do at home is pull the cranks, and lube the tapers, and then re-install. That works better than brute force. Not familiar with the new style cranks.
Old 02-26-06, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've resorted to using an 18" breaker bar with a deep 14 or 15mm socket. Could also use one of those big needle style torque wrench. The new style has a hex. Some are even self-extracting.
Old 02-26-06, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Several road and around town bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
I've resorted to using an 18" breaker bar with a deep 14 or 15mm socket. Could also use one of those big needle style torque wrench. The new style has a hex. Some are even self-extracting.

Hair Dryer - I recently adjusted by bottom bracket bearings and the lock nut was frozen. (The large crome nut with square notches that needs a special wrench.) After being warmed up by a hair dryer and being banged by a small plastic hammer, the nut freed up.

I am not sure how this would work with the crank arms. Apparently aluminium expands faster than steel. But if things won't move a little heat my help free them up. They may be freer after they cool down.