Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Ohio Valley Reily Race March 5th

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ohio Valley Reily Race March 5th

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 08:17 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone going to this? I'm thinking of skipping the OSU crit and doing this instead.

https://www.ohiovalleyracing.org/even...s&event_id=141
Old 02-28-06, 08:27 AM
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be there.

The Reily course makes for a great race. It's pretty much all rollers, with a finish line that sets the rider up with a tailwind and on a downhill. Expect 35 MPH sprints. Other than that, be prepared to do some creeping due to a nasty headwind that always seems to be around.

Watch for me on a Redline CX bike in the Cat. 4 race.
Old 02-28-06, 08:28 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I may be going to it, haven't decided for sure yet. Not sure if I'm ready for another road trip after this past weekend.
Old 02-28-06, 08:29 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Hey, low cel, does the Charelston Criterium still exist?
Old 02-28-06, 08:34 AM
CAT 2 wanna be

Bikes: 2011 Fuji SL1.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be there doing the CAT 5 race. I'm planning on doing all of the OVR series races in March.
Old 02-28-06, 08:59 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Hey, low cel, does the Charelston Criterium still exist?
Nope, there is going to be a new one local this year though. It will be in Saint Albans, about 15 minutes from Charleston. That is the only road race that is close to me this year and I'm not sure if I will be able to do it. I have a mountain bike race the following day that is a priority to me.
Old 02-28-06, 10:38 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by LowCel
I may be going to it, haven't decided for sure yet. Not sure if I'm ready for another road trip after this past weekend.
Well it looks like I will be doing another road trip this weekend. Not to Ohio though. It seems that a couple members of my team (none of which are in my cat though) want to do a race in Kentucky. We will be doing the L' Espirit race in LaGrange, KY.
Old 02-28-06, 11:59 AM
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be there for the Cat 5 race. I'm definitely leaning towards it since it will be a lot more miles than the crit.

If I'm there I'll be sporting my Toledo kit. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.
Old 02-28-06, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I dunno. So indecisive here. Some friends are trying to put together a local training ride, which I'll do if it comes together. But, if not....

I bagged on last weekend's races in favor of a long, hilly ride on Saturday and skiing on Sunday. I thought I'd be more pumped for the early-season races than I am. I ought to get out there now as everyone is only going to be getting in better shape as the year wears on....
Old 02-28-06, 04:02 PM

Bikes: 2 Nishikis, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill be there doing the junior race. It should be a lot of fun and interesting considering this is my first race ever. Good luck everybody.
Old 03-06-06, 12:20 PM
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there for the Cat 5 race in my Toledo jersey. Maybe one of you guys saw me. So how did it go?

I ended up with 10th, but I'm still not quite sure what happened. Around the end of the 3rd lap (of 4) things got pretty spread out on the big hill and I kind of lost track of what was going on. At some point another category passed us and I'm not sure if some of the other top 10 Cat 5 guys jumped on with them or what. Not very long after the hill I was towards what I thought was the front of the peloton and the pace was too slow for my liking (because I had a feeling maybe one or two guys were still ahead, but not 9), so I got to the front and started setting the pace. I could see a wheel behind me, so I kept pushing. A while later I looked back and nobody was there anymore, so I thought, "What the hell, I'll give this a shot." I felt pretty good for a while and opened up a nice gap, but towards the end of the last lap I really started to feel it. At that point I had been gone long enough that I didn't want to give up, so I kept pushing. I thought I was going to die up that last hill, but in the end I made it that whole way without the group catching me. I'm not even sure if they were trying (probably not), but it stell felt pretty good.

Anyway, the whole time I thought I was pushing for something higher than 10th, but this will be my best result yet, so I'll try to focus on that.
Old 03-06-06, 03:07 PM
County sign fanatic

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium (training), looking for the money for a racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished 3rd out of 10 or so in the Jr. race. There were some good riders out, although the official at the first corner wasn't much help...we went 6 miles out before we realized we were going the wrong way. our 20 mile race turned into a 32 miler.

Last edited by snoboard2; 03-06-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 03:10 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Polish Postal finished 7th in the cat 5 race.
Old 03-06-06, 03:24 PM

Bikes: 2 Nishikis, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snoboard2
I finished 3rd out of 10 or so in the Jr. race. There were some good riders out, although the official at the first corner wasn't much help...we went 6 miles out before we realized we were going the wrong way. our 20 mile race turned into a 32 miler.

I was in that race i was the one in the purdue jersey that got dropped and then got completely lost. I learned more than most people do on their first race i think. But on the upside i get to do the next race free of charge.
Old 03-06-06, 07:13 PM
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by snoboard2
That shouldn't ever happen.

Corner work is a thankless job, but so very important for a race to go smoothly and incident-free. You've gotta contend with drivers that are annoyed with the fact that they have to stop and wait for bike racers, and also direct wanna-be professional bike racers who yell, throw trash and act like prima donnas.

But at least for the Cat. 4 race, it was a decent race, albeit slow and frustrating. Not once did a break of any significance form, and since the overall strength of the peloton was pretty decent, hardly anyone was dropped, which kept the group large in number and unmanageable. No one in the back was able to move up to the front, except at the descent and the minor climb, but once to the top, the peloton (or moving road-block) reformed and things slowed down to a general crawl.

It was only until a breakaway group of 5's passed us did anyone try to accelerate and break things up a bit, but that only lasted until the climb. I ended up getting 25th, only because things were so dense that I wasn't able to move up to place better. No worries, I'm just glad that none of us crashed, unlike in the Cat. 3 final sprint.
Old 03-06-06, 07:44 PM
CAT 2 wanna be

Bikes: 2011 Fuji SL1.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like Lowcel said. I finished 7th (The official told me 7th but the posted results say 8th). I'm working on my race report now. I'll be posting it later tonight.

I was on a Blue Trek. Gray PI thermal vest. Blue and white Giro Atmos helmet. Gray shoe covers.

Anyone doing Morrow this week?

Last edited by PolishPostal; 03-06-06 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 07:50 PM
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Results are up, and it turns out I finished at 11th. The official told me I was 10th, but I guess he changed his mind. On the results sheet it seems like a lot of places are missing. Does this always happen?
Old 03-07-06, 06:56 AM
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Results are up, and it turns out I finished at 11th. The official told me I was 10th, but I guess he changed his mind. On the results sheet it seems like a lot of places are missing. Does this always happen?
Unfortunately, since they chose for some reason not to run transponders, the results are based solely off of what the USCF official wrote down on his clipboard as the racers came in. Ghetto-styley. If I were you, I'd check back in a day or two and see if the results are adjusted, as sometimes there are errors made that are clarified through the week. I know I didn't get 25th, and I know that my teammate didn't get #1 in the Cat. 3 race - based upon my experiences last year, I don't trust the online results until at least Thursday.
Old 03-07-06, 11:04 PM
County sign fanatic

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium (training), looking for the money for a racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be at morrow on sunday. I wanna see how well i can do in the series. right now i have 100 pts